• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme results and some questions about supplements

This web site has helped enormously and I have tried to read as much as possible. I finally have my Genetic Genie results. I already started the supplements because I didn't want to wait for the test results. I would appreciate any suggestions for these mutations.

Here are my results:
VDR Bsm +/-
VDR Taq +/-
MAO-A R297R +/+
MTHFR C677T +/+
MTRR A66G +/+
MTRR A664A +/-
AHCY-01 +/-
AHCY-19 +/-
CBS A360A +/-

So far I have worked up to 3 Solgar Folate pills (800 mcg) per day (2 in the morning and 1 before lunch), 1 Country Life MethyB12 (5000 mcg) (1 half twice per day), and 1 Anabol Naturals Dibencoplex (10000 mcg) per day (1 half twice per day). I had some bad days at the start, but I feel like I am on the right track.

I added these one at a time. I noticed a positive response to the Folate and nothing much to the MethylB12. The Dibencoplex I had to start with very slowly because it caused uncomfortable agitation at first. Am I taking the right forms of B12??

I also take 6000 IU of vit D drops, vit E, B complex (makes me sleepy), Thorne pic-mins, vit k, magnesium, vit c, and Nutricology NT Factor powder. I am currently taking a low dose of Bupropion.

I have eliminated folic acid, alcohol, and caffeine from my diet. I am thinking of getting a test for gluten sensitivity.

I am taking Swanson Activated B-Complex High Bioavalability (no folic acid):
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-activated-b-complex-high-bioavailability-60-veg-caps
This makes me very sleepy, so I take it at night. I thought B would help with energy, but it has the opposite effect.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

caledonia

I think you're more or less ok with what you're taking. I would question such high amounts starting out. Also you should have some potassium on hand for when healing kicks in and you need a lot more potassium (can happen quite suddenly). Also some nicotinic acid form of niacin in case you get overmethylated and need to slow things down.

Please read Start Low and Go Slow and Roadblocks to Successful Methylation Treatment before proceeding. They're linked in my signature.

I think you're more or less ok with what you're taking. I would question such high amounts starting out. Also you should have some potassium on hand for when healing kicks in and you need a lot more potassium (can happen quite suddenly). Also some nicotinic acid form of niacin in case you get overmethylated and need to slow things down.

Please read Start Low and Go Slow and Roadblocks to Successful Methylation Treatment before proceeding. They're linked in my signature.

Caledonia, thank you very much for your reply. I just read Start Low and Go Slow. I started with one thing at a time and with 1/4 of the Folate and MethylB12 tablets, and gradually upped the dosage. I had to start lower with the AdenoB12 for some reason. I broke off a tiny piece at first and gradually increased it. That one seemed to cause the most symptoms. Also, I am trying to eat a high potassium diet. I have not needed the niacin.

Do you know what the difference is between the 2 forms of B12 in the body? I seem most sensitive to the AdenoB12.

I also just started the L-Carnitine Fumerate. Do I need that according to my genetic data?

caledonia

There can be a honeymoon period of 6-8 weeks before methylation really kicks in. Actually, since I started exceptionally low and slow, I didn't need potassium until about 3 months in. But when you need it, you really need it, and right away. In my and other's experience, you can't get enough potassium from food, you must supplement.

The thing with methylation is it's slow to get going, but once it gets going, it's also hard to stop. If you watch my Methylation Made Easy videos, I use the analogy of a speeding runaway train which has lots of momentum, so it's hard to stop.

Methylcobalamin makes methyl groups. Adenosyl helps the mitochondria. I'm doing 4X the amount of methyl vs. adenosyl. I think some other people are doing 1:1. There's no set amount, just do what works for you, but those are examples of what others have done, as maybe some kind of starting point.

Heartfixer recommends carnitine for people doing CBS protocols and also for people who need energy. I fell under both of those categories. I also showed up needing carnitine on my Nutreval test. In my view, it's really more of a temporary band-aid supplement, than a direct genetic need. Once you get your methylation cycle balanced, you shouldn't need carnitine anymore, as your body will be able to produce it once again - I was able to drop it after awhile, with no loss in energy.

There can be a honeymoon period of 6-8 weeks before methylation really kicks in. Actually, since I started exceptionally low and slow, I didn't need potassium until about 3 months in. But when you need it, you really need it, and right away. In my and other's experience, you can't get enough potassium from food, you must supplement.

The thing with methylation is it's slow to get going, but once it gets going, it's also hard to stop. If you watch my Methylation Made Easy videos, I use the analogy of a speeding runaway train which has lots of momentum, so it's hard to stop.

Methylcobalamin makes methyl groups. Adenosyl helps the mitochondria. I'm doing 4X the amount of methyl vs. adenosyl. I think some other people are doing 1:1. There's no set amount, just do what works for you, but those are examples of what others have done, as maybe some kind of starting point.

Heartfixer recommends carnitine for people doing CBS protocols and also for people who need energy. I fell under both of those categories. I also showed up needing carnitine on my Nutreval test. In my view, it's really more of a temporary band-aid supplement, than a direct genetic need. Once you get your methylation cycle balanced, you shouldn't need carnitine anymore, as your body will be able to produce it once again - I was able to drop it after awhile, with no loss in energy.

Thanks for the information. It has been about 2 1/2 months since I started the supplements. I will get some potassium and niacin. My potassium was low normal on my last blood test. I will try the carnitine since lack of energy is one of my main symptoms.