• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Mikovits of the WPI to Host Live Q&A Session Regarding XMRV 22nd Jan

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
I figured that was hanchuchu! But she stressed that was anecdotal about what the other doctor found; wasn't clear to me whether she knew if it the type of virus had been determined, if it was related to XMRV, or what.

dipic

Great Q&A session. The highlights were definitely her talking about the IC study as well as the (im)possibility of lab contamination.

Very worthwhile.

oerganix

Yeah, its 20 past midnight here in the UK and we missed most of it too. I doubt they've got the missing minutes.

That might not be so bad, if true, since what I heard of the presentation was just more detail on what's been reported. BUT the q and a session will be reproduced on prohealth and maybe WPI and that should be interesting, from having just heard the answers without the questions.

CBS

Right, that's hanchuchu. I know he sent her letters, but he doesn't know that they followed up.

I just PM'd hanchuchu with a link to _Kim's_ (does the apostrophe come before of after the underscore?) post in case he wasn't listening. It's sometime early morning right now depending upon where in China

Shane

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
I missed most of it because it blacked out. But during the Q&A the way she was talking sounded like theyre still very confident in their findings. She's not backtracking at all. Anybody else feel the same way.

CBS

I missed most of it because it blacked out. But during the Q&A the way she was talking sounded like theyre still very confident in their findings. She's not backtracking at all. Anybody else feel the same way.

That was not the presentation of someone who wasn't comfortable with their findings. I don't think that she went too far and it sure sounds like there is a huge number of collaborative projects which I am sure that she is privy to (but cannot talk about).

Dainty

I just PM'd hanchuchu with a link to _Kim's_ (does the apostrophe come before of after the underscore?) post in case he wasn't listening. It's sometime early morning right now depending upon where in China

Shane

Thanks. I also just responded to his thread.

oerganix

Oh yeah! Confident might be her middle name, ha ha. She took down every criticism that has been leveled at the original WPI study. And gave additional info. I'm looking forward to reading the question and answers later. They were the most interesting parts.

hensue

That is what I get for being a smart a and saying it was 70 degrees here. Was there anything we did not know? What is going on in China?

MEKoan

I got the feeling she was a careful, confident scientist who ran all her work by other careful, confident scientists and then Science ran her work past other careful scientists... and it's solid.

Her explanation of the shortcomings of PCR testing was illuminating as was her analogy inspired by the Weasely study's control in water: anybody can find a bowling ball in a bathtub but that's not finding a needle in a haystack.

Esther12

She did say that someone from the CDC tested her samples for contaminants, and every single one of them came out clean, that he admitted it was not a contaminent. But I'm nto sure if that's what you were looking for.

I'd have loved to get more news on the CDC replication attempt than this. It sounds like they're still working together though.

I wasn't able to watch this. Was there any info on why PCR detection rates are so much lower than culture (I probably won't understand any explanation given, but it would be nice to try)? Any hints on when we might have these findings confirmed by independent groups?

Thanks all.

K

_Kim_

That is what I get for being a smart a and saying it was 70 degrees here. Was there anything we did not know? What is going on in China?

There is an outbreak of a highly infectious aggressive illness in China. One of the infected posts regularly here (hanchuchu). Due to his advocacy efforts, the BBC has just done a report on the illness and it will be out within the next week.

oerganix

I didn't catch anything like that question about PCR, but she said there were emailed questions she didn't have time to answer and they would be answered on ProHealth and maybe WPI, so maybe it will be answered there. Dr Bateman called the culture test the "gold standard" of tests and I think that is because the retrovirus can be at any stage of it's "life" in the other tests and maybe not show up or be detectable, but if it is reproduced in culture, it's there for sure.

MEKoan

She said that you have to run a PCR three times because you won't necessarily find anything in the first pass. In the study, they ran the PCR four times.

She did say that you could have a false negative PCR.

That's why they will test people who were negative again using the more sensitive test.

ETA As I was grinding out these three sentences, DrYes wrote an very nice and quite comprehensive summation.

shannah

Welll that was certainly a stressful couple of hours - can't you just hear the buzz of the virus kicking into high gear! I sure hope there was a back up system and we eventually get to see and hear the presentation that we've been looking forward to for so long!

Samuel

Piggyback

How did a high school girls's basketball team IIRC and a symphony orchestra get sick?