• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Autism rates keep on climbing

natasa778

The national autism rate continues its upward march, the federal government said today, with New Jersey leading the way.

One in 68 children are now diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder nationally — with boys nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism.

New Jersey’s numbers are even more startling: one in 45 children, with a boys’ rate of one in 28.

"It’s quite likely there is one boy with autism in every classroom,"

As autism became a more common diagnosis, experts initially theorized the rise was due to increased vigilance in finding and treating it

But that explantion only goes so far.

"Yes, we have better diagnosis. Yes, we have better awareness. Yes, we’re better able to pick up on more subtle cases," Zahorodny said. "but in my opinion, all those factors can’t account for a shift of this magnitude."

"Autism has gone up in every group, every way you slice it," he said. "It must be something that’s affecting the population — the whole population." ..

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/20...s_to_climb_with_nj_rates_now_the_highest.html

ahmo

Fascinating connections discussed here between rise in autism and "adult autism", ie inflammatory conditions: Alzheimers, Parkinsons, kidney disease, obesity, Type 2 diabetes as well as > infant mortality, bee colony collapse:

The rise follows in a straight line the rise in use of GMO crops with the accompanying Round-up herbicide.

Seeds of Truth: Dr. Stephanie Seneff on GMO and Round-up herbicide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NU5FASJyDI4

caledonia

Not surprised. It could get even worse.

Most autistic kids have MTHFR mutations. Up to 40% of the population also has this - those are the "canaries in the coalmine". Now add up what percentage of the population is sick with autism, ME/CFS, Alzheimers, Parkinsons, cancer, anxiety, depression, etc. etc. etc.

GMOs are somewhere in the mix, but not the only culprit. That's because these are multifactorial diseases. So, it's genetics + various environmental stressors which all add up to be more than the body can handle - so you get sick. Those with MTHFR get sick first because they have less capacity to handle the environmental burden.

People need to wake up and be aware of what they are eating, drinking, breathing, and absorbing.

barbc56

What is adult set autism? I am aware of adult set dementia or other adult set medical conditions but you are born with autism and symptoms are apparent sometime in the first three years of life though there could be missed diagnosis.

There's a huge genetic component to autism. A few other theories are the impact of women giving birth at a later age. This also pertains to men as well. Possibly factors like pollution.

Ages ago I screened children for developmental delays. If you know what to look for there are signs in infancy that something isn't right but it's easy to miss even by experienced clinicians which I am not. I was the one who referred children to the clinicans for any suspected delays.

Many of children who were diagnosed with the label of developmental delay, behavior problems or even retardation would be labled autistic today. With the inclusion of high functioning aspbergs, that increased the number of those dianosed with autism.autism.

This does not rule out environmental factors as they could certainly affect gene expression and have an impact on the severity or characteristics of autism.

Barb

brenda

It's not a syndrome. It's a SPECTRUM and there are many factors which affect the severity. On an ASD forum, there seems to me to be much more likeness of peoples experiences of the condition than is found in syndromes like CFS though of course there are also comorbid conditions like ADHD and it seems to me, that many who have been given medications starting at an early age for anxiety and depression for example, often due to misdiagnosis, come off the worse later on in deterioration in brain function because an ASD brain is more sensitive to becoming more damaged due to the neurological problems which are at the basis of the condition.

I believe that the lack of medications during my lifetime has saved my brain. When l was a child and into adolescence, l sufferered many headaches, and my mother would become very annoyed with me that l would refuse pain killers saying 'if l have to depend on pain killers now at my age, what will l be like when l get old?' which was a remarkable insight l think due to the amount of pain l now have constantly though due to Lyme.

I think that MTHFR and the other genes involved are switched on before birth in some due to mercury crossing the placental barrier, but for many l believe that vaccinations containing mercury or aluminium do it. That many parents cannot be wrong who say their child changed overnight after a shot and one of my own had a severe reaction to the first vaccination at 4 months so l never allowed any more.

I don't accept the studies that have supposed to disprove the vaccinination theory. In my case l think my MTHFR was switched on with mercury in 'teething powders' taken off the market in the early 50's.
Many do not get a diagnosis till later life or had a misdiagnosis but l am sure that the increase of cases is due to the increase of toxins in the environment switching on the genes. Scicily has the highest rate of the MTHFR in the population, but also lower rates of ASD due it is believed to the more natural environment there.

One of the things which makes ASD worse is for the child to not receive the help and support it needs to buffer the ostracism it receives from people with normal neurology. The addition of all of this emotional baggage, adds to the stress levels and to the nutritional status of the developing brain. Children who are fortunate to have supportive backgrounds and particularly with mothers who use nutritional intervention and gluten and dairy free diets, do very well and even see a repair to the gene expressions.

I am quite happy to have ASD though working to repair the emotional damage done by others and my own ignorance is taking some time, due to the different way the brain develops. Unhindered by the perceived need to comply with social clues in making friends and pleasing others, due to the neurological damage, the person develops intense interest which provide a lifetime source of joy and l feel, experience life much more intensely if the stimulation can be kept under control with nutritional support and environmental all control.

The world would not be as it is without people with ASD like Bill Gates and Einstein. The early brain in ASD develops many more connections than the normal one, and if only these kids were treated carefully, and allowed to flourish, without the alienation they suffer from those who do not tolerate differences in neurological development, ie normal people, we would see a brand new world.

Last edited:

ahmo

@brenda, Dietrich Klinghardt and some others, maybe Stephanie Seneff in the linked vid, have appended the label "adult autism" to this collection of inflammatory diseases which is raging out of control at present. This is why I presented it in quotation marks. It is not conflating ASD with these adult disorders, but pointing out the similarities in inflammatory and neurological issues.

I agree w/ you that vaccinations have not been eliminated from causative agents. If not the ingredients, then certainly the many that are bundled together these days, a huge bombardment on the infant nervous system. The film is not focussing as much on the GMOs as on the herbicides that accompany them. And, as you've noted, the mercury burden from mom passes especially to first-born. The US is leading the world in all of the disorders.:(

manna

from http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/04/29/children-vaccines.aspx

If you follow the recommended vaccine schedule, your child will receive no less than 69 doses of 16 vaccines. Up to 15 of those vaccines are mandated by different states. Yet despite this cornucopia of "preventive medicine," American children are among the sickest in the developed world.

"With 95 percent of US kindergarteners fully vaccinated and one child in six learning disabled, one in 10 asthmatic and one in 50 living with autism, educated parents and health care professionals are asking legitimate questions about why so many highly vaccinated children are so sick," Fisher writes.

another factor i think.

alex3619

Some autism cases are cured by antibiotics, others are clearly genetic, the rest are not understood I think. I know its called a spectrum, but it fits syndrome as well. Clearly there are different causes for subgroups. Each subgroup with a different cause is a different disease.

brenda

@alex3619

where do you get that some autistics are cured by antibx from? On the Yasko site, I don't think I have heard of any who do not have MTHFR. Some have been found to have Lyme, and therefore will see an improvement from it but that could just be temporary and it may have not been ASD to start with. Lyme mimics many conditions and can be passed on in the womb.

I have found that the parent sites of autistic kids to be the best source of help any information for myself as these mothers will shift heaven to find answers for their kids.

alex3619

There was a French study that many were cured by antibiotics a few years back. It was reviewed here on some old thread, I think. Many autism patients were found to have specific pathogenic bacteria, but I forget the details. Please note it was a subgroup with specific markers. Which brings me back to syndrome. Spectrum, in a way, is just a fancy word for syndrome, indicating a range.

If that study was discredited, or whatever, I can't be certain. It might still be going.

Just found this but havent watched it yet:

PS It is indeed about Lyme causing autism, or at least the video is.

Last edited:

natasa778

you are born with autism and symptoms are apparent sometime in the first three years of life though there could be missed diagnosis.

That is a self-perpetuating myth, debunked by science a while ago but still peddled by psycho-babblers and flat-earthers.

There's a huge genetic component to autism.

Same as saying that there is a huge genetic component to AIDS. A red herring statement used to deflect attention from the real issues and justify inaction.

brenda

Spectrum, in a way, is just a fancy word for syndrome, indicating a range.

Syndrome.

1. A group of symptoms that collectively indicate or characterize a disease, psychological disorder, or other abnormal condition.
a.
A complex of symptoms indicating the existence of an undesirable condition or quality.
b. A distinctive or characteristic pattern of behavior: the syndrome of conspicuous consumption in wealthy suburbs.
[Greek sundrom
emacr.gif
, concurrence of symptoms, from sundromos, running together : sun-, syn- + dromos, a running.]
syn·drom
prime.gif
ic
(-dr
omacr.gif
prime.gif
m
ibreve.gif
k, -dr
obreve.gif
m
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
k) adj.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

alex, this indicates that a spectrum is about the scale of severity of the symptoms more than the collection of them..

I think that prenatal Lyme could be the reason why some 'autistic' kids are cured by antibx. But anyway, autistics have a depleted immune system but antibx could very easily make them worse if their problem is not primarily Lyme due to the gut bacterial disruption in taking them.

brenda

That is a self-perpetuating myth, debunked by science a while ago but still peddled by psycho-babblers and flat-earthers.

Same as saying that there is a huge genetic component to AIDS. A red herring statement used to deflect attention from the real issues and justify inaction.

Many kids on the Yasko site share the same genes. Haven't you heard of epigenetics? But yes it deflects the real issue if environmental is left out of the equation.

natasa778

On an ASD forum, there seems to me to be much more likeness of peoples experiences of the condition than is found in syndromes like CFS though of course there are also comorbid conditions like ADHD

Oh absolutely. When my son was at his worse 'autism'-wise he had rampant CFS symptoms, but no way of expressing/verbalising what was going on. I can see the same going on now in other kids.

ADHD seems to be at the core of a 'subgroup' of ASD (certainly the case here). You hear about all these cases where kids get rid of autism symptoms following treatments etc, and are left with ADD/ADHD like an iron core that just won't budge...

Interesting in the context of InvestinME Baranuik presentation, where he remarked finding exactly the same brain in/activation and 'zoning-out' patterns in ADHD and CFS/ME. If you put brain activity scans done during specific simple+complex tasks in one big pile you could not tell patients apart.