• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do you know if you are Methylating properly?

I recently was clinically diagnosed with Lyme disease. A friend who also has Lyme wrote this to me:

"if you are going to be doing detox for lyme tx -- check out amy yasko's methylation panel. KNOW YOUR GENETICS for detox before you start taking stuff! I had extreme, almost suicide inducing setbacks for two years due to not knowing i had some genetic mutations that had been turned on that were making tx that other people tolerate well a living hell for me. many many lyme friends had same experience. so, i would recommend anyone start with knowing your methylation glitches -- BEFORE you start pushing toxins around."

I think this is wise, at the same time, I'm wondering how do I know if I'm methylating properly?

Helen

I recently was clinically diagnosed with Lyme disease. A friend who also has Lyme wrote this to me:

"if you are going to be doing detox for lyme tx -- check out amy yasko's methylation panel. KNOW YOUR GENETICS for detox before you start taking stuff! I had extreme, almost suicide inducing setbacks for two years due to not knowing i had some genetic mutations that had been turned on that were making tx that other people tolerate well a living hell for me. many many lyme friends had same experience. so, i would recommend anyone start with knowing your methylation glitches -- BEFORE you start pushing toxins around."

I think this is wise, at the same time, I'm wondering how do I know if I'm methylating properly?

Hi abporter,
One way to know about your methylation is to have this test http://www.hdri-usa.com/tests/methylation/ . If you have difficulties tolerating alcohol that indicates a decreased methylation.

Your MTHFR 6777 gene defect decreases your enzyme activity with 30-50 % so you´d better supplement this with methylfolate.

Your MTR and MTRR polymorphisms indicate that you also need vitamin B12 supplementation, probably a high dose. Did you have homocysteine tested? Tests for vitamin B12?

Also your polymorphisms in the detox profile indicates a lowered detox capacity. GST- polymorphisms or even absent genes tells that the binding capacity with glutathione is probably much lowered.

The polymorphisms in the CYP3A4 slows down the metabolism of 50-60 % of all medications and the CYP1B1 affect metabolism of some others. You can find wich they are in a sample from Genovations/Detoxigenomics downloded by @caledonia and presented in her signature. This will give you a lot of invaluable information before you start medications.

I think your friend is quite right and that you are wise that study your genomics carefully, and all that is connected, before Lyme treatment. /Best

Last edited:
Thanks Helen! Yes, I definitely have a problem tolerating alcohol, so I wonder if I even need to take and pay for the test, ~$325. I don't know either if it would tell me how much of what I should take concerning B12 and/or methylfolate. Perhaps I should just start with one of the simplified methylation protocols listed in @caledonia's signature?

Helen

The test doesn´t tell how much you will need of the supplements, it is an individual trial and error. Genetics versus gene expression...Yes, it should be OK to try a methylation protocol.

Don´t forget about the detox SNP´s. In my opinion (based on published studies and personal contact with researchers) they have been underestimated as cause for sickness and health problems. I have many of them myself and have learnt a lot the hard way, that got explained later by gene tests.

Thinktank

Another lab that checks methylation status is the European lab of nutrients, they have a daughter company somewhere in the USA. I'm planning to do the test myself within a few months, or at least i hope to so do if finds allow it. I will share my labreslults.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Another lab that checks methylation status is the European lab of nutrients, they have a daughter company somewhere in the USA. I'm planning to do the test myself within a few months, or at least i hope to so do if finds allow it. I will share my labreslults.

The US "daughter lab" is the one that Helen linked: Health Diagnostics. I did two methylation panels with them a year apart to check progress--there was a lot of progress!

Sushi

ahmo

@abporter My genetic profile looks pretty similar to you. I've been working on my methylation pathway and detoxxing over the last 2 years, have transformed my health. The one thing that stands out to me is your MAO++. this might predispose you to having histamine issues, which I found exacerbated as I was detoxxing.Your CBS might indicate that you'll need to be prepared for the ammonia generated during detox. I found these things very manageable once I knew what I was dealing with.

I've done very little testing. However, after my 23andme testing, I was considering the Yasko suggestions, and did test for heavy metals and another, Genova Organix. I had intended to get organic acids, but mistakenly ordered Organix, which showed I had SIBO, bacteria in my gut.

In retrospect, even these 2 tests were of questionable value. Of course I had toxic metals, even if I didn't know that aluminium was the highest. And of course I had a bacterial overload, we all do.

I've proceeded by using GAPS diet, mostly Klinghardt's detox suggestions, and Freddd's Protocol for folate/B12.

Here are some links to Dietrich Klinghardt's work. the vid is really excellent. cheers, ahmo

Klinghardt: Autism, Lyme, Pyroluria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-z3kRDYcvhA

Short Version (36pg) Pyroluria/Lyme protocol. From Powerpoint doc used during Klinghardt presentation: Lyme Induced Autism

http://www.lymeinducedautism.com/images/1_KlinghardtKPU_09_PX.pdf

A Treatment Guide: Lyme and Other Chronic Infections (92 pgs) D. Klinghardt MD, 2009

http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/images/stories/powerpoints/treatinglyme 2010.pdf

Thinktank

The US "daughter lab" is the one that Helen linked: Health Diagnostics. I did two methylation panels with them a year apart to check progress--there was a lot of progress!

Sushi
I see, didn't know that. How long does it take for them to deliver the labresult?

Helen

I see, didn't know that. How long does it take for them to deliver the labresult?
It took 4-6 weeks when I had two tests some years ago (at the US lab).

As @Sushi wrote the labs in Europe and in US are connected, sister companies maybe? When I had the tests the US lab had one more analyze of importance for the same prize as the European had. I don´t know how it is today.

The head of the US lab put the panel together and validated it. They also patented a substance that works as a preservative to make it possible to transport the samples without spoiling them for I think the analyzes of glutathione.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

I haven't used them for about 18 months. At that time it took a couple of months but they may be faster now. With the surge in requests for the methylation panel and for nagalase testing they were overwhelmed for a while.

Sushi