• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain damage/dysfunction and substances that give near remission

Tristen

@Tristen It's worth a try. Note though that I didn't see any real benefits until getting up to 240-270 mg per day. At this dose my circadian rhythm normalizes and I start feeling great and the effects are sustainable. Whatever you do don't come off it quickly. I learned this the hard way. I have an online source that's reliable and as cheap as you can get the stuff, if you're interested.

Thanks Dufresne, I am interested in your online source. Have a link? Appreciate the advice on the use and discontinuance of Baclofen....I wasn't aware of that. Even though I'm not the wired/tired type, I may still give it a go. Baclofen is fairly benign compared to many other things I've tried.

Even though these drugs are more about treating symptoms rather than the cause of our disease......so what, as long as they are effective and don't compound the problem. The majority of treatable diseases today are only treating and controlling symptoms, rather than a cure. Anything to escape the horrible symptoms of me/cfs, that is safe and somewhat effective, is ok with me. I want as much of my life back as possible. Cheers everyone.

knackers323

An imbalance in GABA and Glutamate is suspected in CFS. Especially if your sleep is shitty and you are tired but wired. I wouldn´t mind trying that Baclofen if I could. My urine tests showed I must be one of the most defficient GABA persons ever.

Hi can you tell me a bit more about gaba and glutamate in cfs please. I have not heard of this

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
excess NMDA is also in the mix with this.

wow Dufresne thats some big doses of baclofen.
I have used up to 75mg but now settle for 25mg as for me i didnt find any increase in effect from the higher dose. I didnt use baclofen all the time but intermittently to help sleep which it did help improve sleep quality when i used it with other sleep meds. Outside of better sleep which also improves function, i didnt really notice any other effects.

info i found on baclofen said it helped increase growth hormone probably by increase sleep quality and deep stage 3/4 sleep. it was said to be the poor mans version of xyrem.

Said to work on gaba B receptors similar to xyrem and the supplement phenibut. traditional benzo sleep meds work on gaba A receptors. Its indicated as a muscle relaxer but i didnt find it helped with that either, just improved sleep quality. I also read that there was no tolerance to it which isnt the case which is why i end up using it intermittently.

cheers!!

Dufresne

almost there...
excess NMDA is also in the mix with this.

wow Dufresne thats some big doses of baclofen.
I have used up to 75mg but now settle for 25mg as for me i didnt find any increase in effect from the higher dose. I didnt use baclofen all the time but intermittently to help sleep which it did help improve sleep quality when i used it with other sleep meds. Outside of better sleep which also improves function, i didnt really notice any other effects.

info i found on baclofen said it helped increase growth hormone probably by increase sleep quality and deep stage 3/4 sleep. it was said to be the poor mans version of xyrem.

Said to work on gaba B receptors similar to xyrem and the supplement phenibut. traditional benzo sleep meds work on gaba A receptors. Its indicated as a muscle relaxer but i didnt find it helped with that either, just improved sleep quality. I also read that there was no tolerance to it which isnt the case which is why i end up using it intermittently.

cheers!!

Baclofen does little for me at smaller doses. I don't find it functions as a sedative in the slightest, more like an antidepressant. I take pleasure in all my daily chores now. It makes me feel useful and motivated. GHB is so much more sedating. Perhaps a good strategy for those with sleep problems would be to take fairly large doses of baclofen throughout the day and then switch to GHB for sleep.

The increase in growth hormone is common to all GABA B receptor agonists, and they are significant. It's said that GH is the key to other hormones. This might be beneficial to us. My libido is tripled on the drug. I'm noticing the hip to waist ratio on all the nubile women I come across.

Last edited:

Hip

I find you have to go big with the baclofen. It does little for me at smaller doses. I don't find it functions as a sedative in the slightest, more like an antidepressant. I take pleasure in all my daily chores now. It makes me feel useful and motivated.

When you say you have to go big with baclofen, what sort of dose are you talking about?

Myself I have not taken more than 20 mg of baclofen. Do you think this might be too little to get any effects?

Tristen

Has anyone had any more progress with the opiates or similar?

I remain looking for the best option. Currently take max dose of Tramadol (300mg/day) which gives me a little relief, maybe 25% of what I would get with narcotics such as Hydrocodone......but a little is better than nothing, and I don't want to take narcotics. Soon I'm gonna try the Butrans patch. It's the same drugs as found in Suboxone, but is a slow release and therefore should get away from the narcotic effect....I hope. Suboxone does give me relief.....but I can't get that since it's primarily used for drug addiction/withdrawl.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I remain looking for the best option. Currently take max dose of Tramadol (300mg/day) which gives me a little relief, maybe 25% of what I would get with narcotics such as Hydrocodone......but a little is better than nothing, and I don't want to take narcotics. Soon I'm gonna try the Butrans patch. It's the same drugs as found in Suboxone, but is a slow release and therefore should get away from the narcotic effect....I hope. Suboxone does give me relief.....but I can't get that since it's primarily used for drug addiction/withdrawl.

I mostly use tramadol 200mg sr for pain, mostly lower back and of late my neck has gotten worse. As my doc said my spine seems alot older then me, with alot of bone spurrs etc etc Anyway i felt like the tramadol wasnt working, probably a tolerance so my doc had me on kapanol which is a slow release morphine, this was just for a few weeks and then back to tramadol and hoping my tolerance to it has dropped, which it seemed too. What i found comparing the effects of tramadol to kapanol (disreguarding the tolerance issues) i think the tramadol for me works much better. It feels like it has an energizing effects and better pain relief effects compared to kapanol??

so thats my experience with tramadol vs narcotic/morphine/kapanol?? i suppose we are all different.

SK2018

SK
What is the theory behind the high dose prednisone working? I got a fair bit of relief from using this?

I have also been thinking lately about the idea that cfs could be an autoimmune problem, well have many people tried immunosuppressants and anti inflamitorys? What did they find?

Check my thread http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...e-of-my-cfs-anti-nmda-antibodies.47413/unread

I talked about my experience with various immune modulation treatments ,I'm in agreement with you.Plasmapheresis worked great for me but only temporary