• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My first appointment with KDM

Daffodil

he also briefly trained dr. pourzan, the doctor who is overseeing the clinic in reno. maybe he will get more training. dr. pourzan is a good doctor in his own right, and a very friendly person.

kdm is in china till june 5

Valentijn

Hi @Valentijn I just thought I'd ask whether they introduced the woman from Adelaide to you and whether you might remember her name? We desperately need some doctors here who follow KDM's methodical approach.
I'm not sure if she's a doctor yet, since I can't find anything in Google, but her last name was "Wells". I don't remember her first name, except that it was something pretty normal. Blonde, and I think 30-40 though I don't remember too well.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Daffodil
Do you know where he is after china? Anyone know what he's doing in china?? We actually need to keep him in Europe:) There's not enough of him to go all around the world.......

Art Vandelay

I'm not sure if she's a doctor yet, since I can't find anything in Google, but her last name was "Wells". I don't remember her first name, except that it was something pretty normal. Blonde, and I think 30-40 though I don't remember too well.

Thanks so much! I'll do some investigating at this end :)

RML

I was hoping my report or info from KDM would have arrived by now, each day I check the post I think 'Well maybe tomorrow' but it is now nearly 2 weeks since he said he would send it so I guess I must wait til he returns from his trip.

I have been looking into various ways of getting the treatment here, some seem possible and easy to organise, but my first step is to find a new GP since I don't have one for a while, but I don't think there is any point in approaching any until I have the report pack thingy.

What will be included in that ? He never really stated what he was sending on me or what it was for. Maybe I'm just waiting for something not necessarily needed!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@RML
Its a report on your results and treatment recommendations. If he's in China until today, then it'll be next week. E-mail the office and ask where you are on the list for reports?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
What will be included in that ? He never really stated what he was sending on me or what it was for. Maybe I'm just waiting for something not necessarily needed!

Plus copies of all your labs and prescriptions. :)

Sushi

RML

The letter I was waiting on arrived this morning. Tried two pharmacies to fill the prescription, but no luck. Firstly, they didn't stock the stuff listed, and secondly, they won't accept the foreign script. One of them suggested I get it re-written by a local GP then they would order them but would take a few weeks.

I really do not feel like paying some useless eejit doctor 60 Euros to rewrite a script I already paid for and had to exhaust myself travelling to get, which if that useless eejit doctor had actually been doing his job or gave 2 craps about me would have done this for me 2 yrs ago anyway.

So I am not sure whether I could even get them online pharmacies, never used them before. I wish I got the prescription from him before I left Belgium and collected it from local pharmacy there. I asked but was told I would have no problems getting it filled at home. Or maybe get a cheap flight fly in and out of Brussels in same day to get it. I don't know what to do anymore, don't have the spare energy for extra stress or hassle.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Best thing to do is phone around as many in a day as you're up to, also central city pharmacies should
be used to dealing with EU prescriptions. Boots over here now accept them but it was tough at first I have to say.

Dennis Gore (Dennis the chemist website) Manchester will accept EU prescriptions, they may not have what you want in stock but will tell you if they can get it. They are the most helpful I've ever come across. I'm sure you will get them nearer home though.
Yes its like an obstacle course.

Valentijn

@RML - they're probably wrong about the foreign prescription being unacceptable. I know @snowathlete has dealt with that problem in the UK, so might have some suggestions. Basically any EU prescription is valid in any EU country, if I recall correctly.

Some things aren't available in some countries. My pharmacy had to set it up to import the injectable B12 from Belgium, but they were happy to do it. It cost us a bit extra, and our insurance didn't cover it however.

snowathlete

@RML - they're probably wrong about the foreign prescription being unacceptable. I know @snowathlete has dealt with that problem in the UK, so might have some suggestions. Basically any EU prescription is valid in any EU country, if I recall correctly.

Some things aren't available in some countries. My pharmacy had to set it up to import the injectable B12 from Belgium, but they were happy to do it. It cost us a bit extra, and our insurance didn't cover it however.

Well, in England, the situation was that the pharmacists just don't know what they are talking about. It is not something they have seen before and instead of trying to help, they just say, "Oh, don't like the look of that, it's from some foreign place, nope, can't help you, sorry."

But they are wrong. It is totally legal and says so in black and white in their rule book. Ask them to look. It says all EU scripts are legal and even lists the member countries so that there is no confussion. I expect this is the same in Ireland.

Of course, if they don't have it they can't give you it, and so you won't be able to get some things like B12 (they only do much smaller doses in the UK) and a bunch of other stuff they wont do either. But antibiotics should be no problem.

Valentijn

Of course, if they don't have it they can't give you it, and so you won't be able to get some things like B12 (they only do much smaller doses in the UK) and a bunch of other stuff they wont do either. But antibiotics should be no problem.
The Netherlands doesn't have IV Azithromycin, so we'll get it from the clinic instead. I guess people here who have allergies or intolerances to soy are usually pretty screwed, since that's what the Azithromycin tablets have in them :meh:

RML

I spent ages ringing round more pharmacies. Only some are refusing based on foreign doctor, most are just saying they don't have them or at least in those high doses, such as the B12, as Snowathlete mentioned. Now making a trip to Brussels again just to get them. Seems crazy I know. Getting them ordered in could take 3-4 weeks, and the higher doses are causing issues complete no go on them. So by doing it this way, at least I will have them to start by next week. I am anxious to start, and get things moving, far too much time wasted doing nothing already.

I am also ordering some other bits for pre-treatment on website from order form.

Last edited:

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I wish I got the prescription from him before I left Belgium and collected it from local pharmacy there. I asked but was told I would have no problems getting it filled at home.
Could you call them and ask them where you will have not problems getting it filled in Ireland?

RML

Yeah I did, or well my mum did, asked at the clinic, she was only talking to the secretary or assistant and all shhe kept saying was 'Everything listed on prescription is available everywhere in Belgium'. So again mentioned we're not in Belgium, and she just said 'Every pharmacy in Belgium' so not getting anywhere with her.

JoanDublin

Hi there. Sorry for butting in but I've been reading your thread with interest. I live in Dublin too and am at the beginning of the process in trying to get in to see KDM re my young lad who is 14 and has been ill now for 2 years with post viral illness, or chronic fatigue syndrome or ME - all depending on who you see.
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble getting the medications here. Maybe you could email the clinic and explain the situation. Sometimes having it in writing helps with the 'communication' issues. There might just be the chance of someone there knowing another Irish patient who gets their medication here somewhere? Just seems a shame to have to fly all the way back to Belgium :(