• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

serum levels - b12 low, folic acid high

Hi,

My b12 serum level is 284pg/ml, folic acid - above 10ng/ml (normal range = higher than 5ng/ml).
Doctor prescribed only b12, and told me not to take b-complex.
Different methylation protocols indicate that b-complex is essential.

Please advise,
Alon

PeterPositive

Hi,
your B12 level is indeed pretty low. Although serum level doesn't say much about a B12 deficiency, when it is that low it certainly is a red flag. Good that your doctor has prescribed supplementation. Even better if he gave you either hydroxy-cobalamin or methyl-cobalamin.

As regards the serum folic-acid... what does it mean exactly above 10ng/ml? Is there a precise figure? 10 isn't bad or too high. As far as I know the upper range is between 15-20ng/ml.

Are you taking any folic acid supplements? Or food enriched with folic acid?

In general it's a good idea to avoid it since it's a synthetic form of folate that is very slow to be reduced to it's active form and it is potentially harmful if it remains unmetabolized in high doses.

There is not precise figure indicated.
I started to take b-complex with folate (not synthetic) and B12.

My question is, should I listen to the doctor and take only B12, or in addition a b-complex with folate and all the rest of Bs?

PeterPositive

I suppose your doctor should know better, since he knows you, your history of symptoms and current health issues but in general a balanced B complex won't hurt, provided it doesn't contain cyanocobalamin and folic acid.

Also, generally speaking, B12 should be supported by some folate, even a low dose such as 100-400mcg, to keep your methylation cycle running properly. As far as I know there's no known side effect for those dosages of methylfolate, unless you have a specific sensitivity.

PeterPositive

Dosages are fine but it is quite suspicious that they declare "Vitamin B12" and "folate" on their label.
It doesn't mean anything unless they clearly specify the form of folate and B12 they use.

When I see something like this on a supplement I stay away from it. Given that the other vitamins in the complex are in their inactive forms it is likely that they are using folic acid and cyano-B12.

I have sent them an email to specify the exact forms of B-vitamins.
Could you recommend me please an high quality b-complex with active forms and low dosages?

Hmm, that may be. Haven't thought about that. but I guess, if it was a reaction from the fermented ingredients I should have gotten it in the first days using the product, no?

Phred

Could you recommend me please an high quality b-complex with active forms and low dosages?

Hmm, that may be. Haven't thought about that. but I guess, if it was a reaction from the fermented ingredients I should have gotten it in the first days using the product, no?

If you look at the medicinal ingredients it says folic acid and cyanocobalamin. It also has wheat in it so if you have any kind of gluten problem (so many of us here do) you really need to stay away from this!

PeterPositive

This one looks good:
http://www.iherb.com/Nature-Made-B-...C-100-Caplets/54158#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US

No B12 and/or folic acid.

Maybe, it's difficult to say. If they are in low doses the effect might take a while to show up. In any case that particular product doesn't really seem good. IMHO, you could stop it and take something simpler and "cleaner"... with less strange ingredients.

Thanks for the advice Peter.

Just received an email from New Chapter, these are the ingredients:
Pantothenic Acid† (Calcium-d-pantothenate) 22.5 mg
Riboflavin-Vitamin B2† (Riboflavin) 4.5 mg
Vitamin B6† (Pyridoxine hydrochloride) 4.5 mg
Thiamin-Vitamin B1† (Thiamine hydrochloride) 2.5 mg
Folate† (Folic acid) 200 mcg
Biotin† (Biotin) 150 mcg
Vitamin B12† (Cyanocobalamine) 60 mcg

not only these aren't the active forms, it also containes fermented ingredients that very likely upset my stomach..

Last edited: