• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

methylation for the rest of your life?

Ambrosia_angel

Do you have to take supplements for the rest of your life? All I read is that you have to raise your dosage until you are feeling relieved of symptoms.
I guess I'd rather not be on supplements for the rest of my life but if I see imorovements then I'd like to know if its necessary or not. People take huge doses of all these supplements that must weight down someone's pocket to spending that amount every month?

acrosstheveil

it's all relative. i never took methylation supplements until I discovered my mutation. I survived before that but my quality of life is greatly improved on a methylation protocol. It is not a miracle, but a significant improvement. It is up to you whether it is worth the money or not to continue the supplements.

Ambrosia_angel

I haven't started yet. Money isn't an issue for me if it works. I'm just wondering if anyone has come of the supplements and maintained the same level of health.

whodathunkit

@Ambrosia_angel: I think @caledonia has managed to take herself off of quite a few of her supplements. Or maybe it's @Valentijn . Not sure. But I remember reading at least one person here who was very ill has done it. Hopefully whoever it was will chime in.

My personal feeling is that these supps can also benefit anyone who is interested in anti-aging, regardless of snps. ATP production and the methylation cycle ramps down over time, regardless of snps. This ages us and makes us more prone to pain, injury, and disease.

Plus, mB12 has been proven to be a big help in age-related cognitive decline.

Poor quality food supply and exposure to environmental toxins slows the system down as well, making us still more vulnerable.

I think taking supplements to address these inevitable problems is likely a good idea, regardless of your genetics, as long as you can afford it.

I don't think it's that people who don't have mutations don't need them...I think it's more of a situation where their health simply does not drive them to try to find these solutions we've found here. They don't know they could feel better than they do, whereas everyone here, we've all known at some point in our lives that we should feel better.

I think everyone could probably benefit from methylation supps.

These supplements might not extend your life, and they may not help you avoid a mortal disease like cancer. But my own experience. like that of acrosstheveil, tells me that they can greatly improve the quality of whatever life you have left. I think that's a goal we all share.

I plan to take them for the rest of my life, although not at the levels I'm currently taking. I'd have to win the lotto for that.

caledonia

I've been able to stop about 15 supplements, which were mostly the "band-aid" supplements my naturopath had me on for various imbalances. I'm also off all the CBS supps except for molydenum and all the Kreb's cycle/mito supps. Also, I'm off Armour thyroid and tapering off Zoloft.

The methylation supplements balance the methylation cycle, so you can take a lot less supplements to do a lot more things. It's also possible to get off medications. My pocketbook is happier...

As for people taking huge amounts, my guess would be that once healing occurs they won't need as much for maintenance.

In a perfect world, once you're well, you shouldn't need supplementation, but the world is just too toxic. You can't always control what you breathe or eat or the amount of stress you encounter. I think it would be prudent to always take a maintenance dose of supplementation so you don't relapse.

GhostGum

In a perfect world, once you're well, you shouldn't need supplementation, but the world is just too toxic. You can't always control what you breathe or eat or the amount of stress you encounter. I think it would be prudent to always take a maintenance dose of supplementation so you don't relapse.

Even in a perfect environment for genetic or simply complimentary reasons there is still clearly benefits from some supplements in 'normal' people, especially as we age. B12 for example is now commonly being prescribed for people over the age of 55-60 to help prevent cognitive decline and related diseases, Vit D as well, omega 3's are also clearly vital to maintain brain mass and health in older age.

People with the mutations who have no clear illness may do alright but that does mean they are anywhere near optimal and it will not catch up with them later in life.

I would like to reduce and get off all supplements at some stage, at least for a period of time and being somewhere near remission this will probably be possible but I can see I will be cycling supplements for the rest of my life, especially in to old age, regardless of health status. My family also has a lot of the clear signs of certain mutations, Parkinsons on both sides, psoriasis, eczema, acne vulgaris; thankfully never had any of the last three seriously but the odd family member has struggled with them.

Leopardtail

Do you have to take supplements for the rest of your life? All I read is that you have to raise your dosage until you are feeling relieved of symptoms.
I guess I'd rather not be on supplements for the rest of my life but if I see imorovements then I'd like to know if its necessary or not. People take huge doses of all these supplements that must weight down someone's pocket to spending that amount every month?
I agree with Hip in this one. If you are dealing with basic ATP production, taking anti-oxidants then your need for massive amounts of methylation supplements is less likely. I suspect most of us will need at least one or two supplements for life to deal with whatever inherent weakness set the ball off rolling for us. I am very doubtful we should be needing large numbers of supplements for long periods though - if we do it probably means we have 'missed what's vital'. Sometimes a supplement improves something that is no more than a side-effect of a core problem.

Personally I benefit from small amounts of Methyl supps because they spare ATP, but my level of methylation is okay without them - however I was compensating by instinctively eating more stuff with Methionine and Selenium and instinctively avoiding stuff with lots of sulphur. Paying attention to foods you crave, adore, cannot leave alone can prove very useful in working out what your key supps are. The longer you have craved them, the more likely they are important and need long term use.