• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Science: Melatonin makes old bones stronger

Firestormm

Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 2:00pm

sifter-melatonin.jpg

Melatonin Makes Old Bones Stronger

As we age, our bones become fragile and more susceptible to painful breaks. But what if we could turn back time and make them tough again? Researchers have discovered that melatonin supplements make elderly rats’ bones stronger, the Toronto Sun reports. After giving 22-month-old rodents—which are the equivalent of 60-year-old humans—the hormone for 10 weeks, scientists saw an increase in bone volume, density, and flexibility. The finding, which is described in Rejuvenation Research, suggests that the supplement could combat osteoporosis.

xchocoholic

Have they looked at the effects of melatonin in people with osteoporosis ? I was just dx with that last year and I've been on melatonin for about 5 years.

People are so much more complicated than rats in a controlled lab. Although sometimes I feel like a lab rat.

Tc ... x

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i use melatonin off and on, i cant really say it helps but i add it to my sleep regime anyway but my thoughts are that im getting its antioxidant effects even if it doesnt help sleep.

alex3619

Many of us find melatonin does not help sleep. Yet I agree with @heapsreal, its antioxidant properties may be even more important. If this rat finding works in humans, well its a whole new world for those with serious bone calcium loss, including the long term bed bound.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Many of us find melatonin does not help sleep. Yet I agree with @heapsreal, its antioxidant properties may be even more important. If this rat finding works in humans, well its a whole new world for those with serious bone calcium loss, including the long term bed bound.

peroxynitrate if i remember correctly is the oxidant it helps counteract, the other substance that helps counteract this is b12??

alex3619

Lots of things work on peroxynitrite, Marty Pall has a list of them in his book and probably his website. Many antioxidants do this, but with varying effectiveness.

Hydroxocobalamin for example is a peroxynitrite scavenger. However its thought under some theories that adenosyl cobalamin can inhibit production of peroxynitrite from nitric oxide synthase activity.