• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can 23andme show predispositions to mental health problems?

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
23andMe quit offering health interpretations of any kind because FDA said they had to.

Theoretically if there is something in particular you are concerned about and if research has identified associated genotypes, you should be able to check this yourself with the search function from the raw data but it's less easy than it sounds.

helen1

@Fogbuster I think your methylation gene variations can show a predisposition to depression and anxiety for sure. I don't know about schizophrenia or bipolar. So yes, 23andme can be helpful that way once you download your raw data into one of the free or almost free website services such as geneticgenie or livewello to find your methylation SNPs.

COMT, MTHFR, MTRR, VDR, BHMT, MAO A and CBS off the top of my head can affect mood hugely especially when you've got a whole bunch of poorly functioning ones.

Last edited:

taniaaust1

23andMe quit offering health interpretations of any kind because FDA said they had to.

Theoretically if there is something in particular you are concerned about and if research has identified associated genotypes, you should be able to check this yourself with the search function from the raw data but it's less easy than it sounds.

I cant remember the web address but there is a great website in which one can put their illness into the search there and it comes up with a graph of the various mutations which have been connected with that illness. (so that would help to know which ones to check if you had or not in your results).

Maybe someone else knows it and can put up its link. (I do have a page Ive copied from there with the web address but dont now currenly where Ive put it). If one isnt sure what is the right or wrong version then of a gene.. Ive found Valentijns program helpful.

Last edited: