• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation recovery survey. Recovery stories here!!

Ambrosia_angel

I want to compile a little list of people who have succeeded (or not) with methylation. I haven't started methylation but will soon and having this will hopefully be a good resource for people wanting to start and need some advice.

What supplements are/were you taking?
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
Also what other medical condition do you have? (Lyme, pots, IBS, etc)

How quick was the improvement if any?

Side effects of methylation and how long did it last?

If you had to discontinue anything then why?

Anything that you regret doing or not doing? Advice to anyone about to start methylation.

Also I have no idea what to call this thread so advice on that would be good :)

caledonia

I want to compile a little list of people who have succeeded (or not) with methylation. I haven't started methylation but will soon and having this will hopefully be a good resource for people wanting to start and need some advice.

Okay, I'll bite. I'm about a year and a half into my treatment, starting with having to do a CBS protocol for several months so I could tolerate methylcobalamin.

What supplements are/were you taking? This is complicated - but....
I was on many what I call "band-aid" supplements prescribed by my naturopath, for anxiety, sleep, heart palps, brain fog, gut, etc. I've been able to eliminate most of those. I did the CBS protocol and am off all those supps except for a bit of molybdenum for maintenance. After I started methylation supps, I also added several mito support supps for several months. I don't need those anymore.

I am currently on:
  • potassium gluconate
  • magnesium glycinate
  • methylcobalamin
  • adenosylcobalmain
  • calcium citramate
  • Vinco's probiotic
  • Thorne S. boulardii
  • Thorne Pic Mins (trace minerals)
  • Holistic Health All in One multi (contains methylfolate and many other co-factors for methylation)
  • molybdenum
  • fish oil
  • vitamin D
Also what other medical condition do (did!) you have? (Lyme, pots, IBS, etc)
multiple chemical sensitivities, autoimmune thyroiditis, adrenal fatigue (see next answer for more details)

How quick was the improvement if any?
Start noticing things several months in after completing the CBS protocol - able to discontinue antifungal herbs I had been on for years, had to add potassium to stop deficiency caused by healing, was able to reduce or eliminate the passle of supps noted above. MCS has been improving steadily over this time. All my mercury is eliminated and I appear to be detoxing lead now. At one and a half years, I am very happy to report my autoimmune thyroiditis is gone. I am off my thyroid med after 13 years and my labs are normal. I believe my adrenals, which were previously flatlined, are about 50% recovered, based on the amount of supplementation I've been able to reduce for them.

Side effects of methylation and how long did it last?
I've had a couple of bouts with overmethylation, which I fixed one time within a day, and the other time, within a week with nicotinic acid. If I raise my methylation supps above a certain level, I get metal detox symptoms (achy, extra tired), so I am going extremely low and slow until my metals are out.

If you had to discontinue anything then why?
I tried hydroxycobalamin but didn't tolerate it. Also didn't tolerate lecithin after a few weeks.

Anything that you regret doing or not doing?
I wish I had more money for testing to keep tabs on things. I got stuck on low potassium symptoms for several months - should have contacted my doc for help sooner for help.

Advice to anyone about to start methylation.
If you can afford it, get the Nutreval test done, besides 23andme. This will put you in a good position of knowing what you're dealing with instead of guessing.

Do your homework before starting. I have lots of resources and advice in my signature links. If you can't absorb the info, find a practitioner - see my links.

Also I have no idea what to call this thread so advice on that would be good
Use the word "survey"?

Ambrosia_angel

Thank you @caledonia. This really help :)
Your recover sounds great!! Really hope methylation helps me. I still don't know which supplements to start on and I'm not really into doing the genetic testing as of now. Maybe in the future if I'm still in this situation. Rich van and Fred's protocols are really different so I'm confused on which one to follow. I can see your following Fred's one though.

caledonia

Thank you @caledonia. This really help :)
Your recover sounds great!! Really hope methylation helps me. I still don't know which supplements to start on and I'm not really into doing the genetic testing as of now. Maybe in the future if I'm still in this situation. Rich van and Fred's protocols are really different so I'm confused on which one to follow. I can see your following Fred's one though.

Actually not. I'm doing what I would call "Yasko lite" (what the Heartfixer has outlined on his page), then drawing from Rich, Freddd, Ben Lynch and wherever else I can for additional help. So basically, I read everything I could, did 23andme and Nutreval testing, and designed my own treatment.

Ambrosia_angel

Actually not. I'm doing what I would call "Yasko lite" (what the Heartfixer has outlined on his page), then drawing from Rich, Freddd, Ben Lynch and wherever else I can for additional help. So basically, I read everything I could, did 23andme and Nutreval testing, and designed my own treatment.
I'm trying to make my own plan too. But I still don't understand much about methylation

I made a new post on this old thread I created. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...starting-an-intense-treatment-protocol.29445/
Could you give me some advice before I buy the stuff please.

caledonia

I'm trying to make my own plan too. But I still don't understand much about methylation

I made a new post on this old thread I created. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...starting-an-intense-treatment-protocol.29445/
Could you give me some advice before I buy the stuff please.

Have you done any sort of gene or nutritional testing? I can't really say what may or may not work with no information. The thing with methylation is that it has to be designed for each specific person and their genes and functional status.

A simplified protocol such as Rich's or Freddd's or what I'm doing may or may not work for you. That's why I've never come up with a simplified treatment, because there's really no such thing.

If you just want to know if you're following Freddd's protocol correctly, there are other people more knowledgeable about his protocol than me.

Whatever you do, make sure you have some nicotinic acid on hand before starting, in case you run into overmethylation problems and need to stop adverse symptoms fast. I have more detailed info on what to buy and how to take it in both "Start Low and Go Slow" and "Roadblocks to Successful Methylation", I think. Both are linked in my signature.

Ambrosia_angel

Thank you. I tried to download the start slow link but it didn't work. I have a new device so I'm still learning how to use it. Is there any way I can read it online?
I was wondering whether I should get the nicotinic acid or not but I definitely will now.
I'm going to maybe make another thread but I'm pretty sure I have everything so I might just buy it. Hopefully others are willing to say their story. Its a really useful resource for me and hopefully others.