• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyme disease preceeding POTS article

Martial

POT/S with Lyme disease is a sign of active acute infection, not a tarnished immune system/nervous system after infection. Man this Post Treatment Lyme disease stuff has lead to so much delayed treatment and error since they can't agree with the fact that a short duration of antibiotics does NOT cure lyme disease. There can be nerve damage after infection that is true and it can take time to heal, however the standards of a "cured" infection are completely erroneous and fall on old assumptive models of disease treatment, It is my hope that some day soon the CDC will get with the program so we can make some actual leeway in the treatment of this mind crushingly painful illness.

taniaaust1

POT/S with Lyme disease is a sign of active acute infection, not a tarnished immune system/nervous system after infection. .

Things like a viral infection is known to be the initial trigger of POTS. One can get rid of the inital trigger but still have POTS, so possibly POTS with lyme disease could also still be happening after the active acute infection.

Martial

Things like a viral infection is known to be the initial trigger of POTS. One can get rid of the inital trigger but still have POTS, so possibly POTS with lyme disease could also still be happening after the active acute infection.

That is possible, like I mentioned due to nerve damage that needs to be resolved. Similar to why it could happen with a viral infection, at least from one stand point. It also possibly triggering hypo perfusion of different organs from previous inflammation while infected. My comment was on the basis that a large percentage of those with POT/S that had lyme actually very much still have an active infection, though it is possible some also have it as residual effects. Lyme disease is never really treated properly though and most people are left with a very hard to treat infection as a result. I was just going by statement for infectious disease and CDC it is not adequate enough treatment to cure, so it puts the question who many of these people are actually "cured" so to speak.

I have worked with Lyme disease for the last four years with various antibiotics and haven't gotten very far symptom wise. Now Finally a Lyme Dr. has noticed my heart rate picks up thirty or more beats from laying to standing.

My main symptom is sickening head pressure and gnawing nerve sensations in my nose. Now I am wondering if this isn't a separate issue from Lyme as treatment hasn't helped much. Anyone find POTS to be a more separate issue? Or is it still symptoms from an ongoing infection??:depressed: