• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sunlight Sensitivity

Is anyone else very sensitive to sunlight?

I find that after sitting in the sun for a bit, it brings on all my PEM symptoms. Just earlier today I laid outside for 15 minutes, and shortly after I got that "poisoned" feeling along with an exacerbation of my other symptoms.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I can't tolerate sun or even lights. I have one lamp in my place, next to my bed. If I never had to turn a light on I'd be fine.

I'm not sure if I feel PEM or poisoned but it's pretty common to have light sensitivities.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Sensitivity to light is also extremely common for people with ME/CFS. It's just one of those things that happens. I'm also hyper sensitive to sound. It's just part of it.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Yes , definitely have sunlight sensitivity.
When I went on d-ribose it seemed to decrease quite a bit but not entirely. I think it takes energy to endure sunlight and CFS people are low.

Another good supplement for photosensitivity is astaxanthin. 6mg + seemed to make a difference.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Sherpa I think you are an exception that you found such good results with supplementation.

Many of us, myself included, are treatment resistant and not that much in the way if supplementation helps.

Sensitivity to light is also extremely common for people with ME/CFS. It's just one of those things that happens. I'm also hyper sensitive to sound. It's just part of it.

Yea I get that big time.

My eyes burn like crazy most of the day and get very bloodshot. Looking at the computer or television makes it much worse.

It may be due to the esposire to heat exacerbating your POTS Xhale?
and photophobia - did you notice that too?

cheers

ALLY

I think that's part of it Ally for sure. Hot showers bother me as well.

Something about the sun though that does me in more than just heat. The shower will make my POTS symptoms worse but I dont get that PEM feeling that the sun gives me.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
For your computer there is a free download called F. lux. It lets you adjust the brightness and colors of your computer screen. I swear by it.

As for tv, either sunglasses, which I wear all the time in places with lights or maybe you can find some tint to put over your tv screen.

SilverbladeTE

Folks, note, there is a difference between sunlight (which has UV etc) having gross effects on the body, vs bright light causing pain etc due to problems with the nervous system though the eyes, so be specific when talking about such symptoms, please? :)
I'm easily confused myself nowadays ;)
not getting at anyone, just think seems bit mixed here? *scratches head like Stan laurel* :p

137869946095.jpg

sensitivity to *bright light* as the brain or such is affected is common problem with many illness, poisons and such due to inflammation or heightening of the nervous system
so, with meningitis, you cannot abide even a candle flame as it's like having the eyes burned right out of your skull like looking into a searchlight point blank (urf!).
that over sensitivity is pretty pretty common with M.E., hence my glasses I always get Reactolite (tm) coating as bright sunlight can set off migraines nowadays.

but bodily sensitivity that's much more unusual and interesting!

Allyson

I think that's part of it Ally for sure. Hot showers bother me as well.

Something about the sun though that does me in more than just heat. The shower will make my POTS symptoms worse but I dont get that PEM feeling that the sun gives me.

well you may be getting more intense heat from the sun all over your body than you do from a shower Xhale

and you likely stay longer in the sun
showers are bad as you also lift your arms up over your head too

THe sun will may be irritate your photophobia too but I don't know if that causes payback symptoms to have it exacerbated

Ally

IreneF

I have gotten hives from sunlight. I have more sensitivities, overall, with this disease. The last time I was able to hike (years ago) I got shortness of breath, plus hives on my exposed skin.

Allyson

th
I have gotten hives from sunlight. I have more sensitivities, overall, with this disease. The last time I was able to hike (years ago) I got shortness of breath, plus hives on my exposed skin.
the shortness of breath is very likely due to the hiking alone - exertional dyspneoa is common in these conditions
heat would make it worse thought due to the extra vasodilatation

Ally

Yea I get that big time.

My eyes burn like crazy most of the day and get very bloodshot. Looking at the computer or television makes it much worse.

many tv shows and commercials use a strobe light when changing camera shots or other times when they want to grab our attention. especially sports shows and reality shows do that. It Kills my eyes. I look at the screen through my fingers in front of my face; also pull down the front of my hoodie some. What a fun time trying to enjoy television has become (< sarcasm). Just another example of the "lowering of quality of life" for us.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I agree with @SilverbladeTE that there ARE different types of sunlight sensitivity.

Photophobia
photophobia - definition of photophobia by the Free Online ...
1. An abnormal sensitivity to or intolerance of light, especially by the eyes, as may be caused by eye inflammation,
This is VERY common in M.E and perhaps related to brain inflammation, eye problems etc.

There is also HEAT intolerance, which can exacerbate POTS as well as M.E symptoms - I find the sun wipes me out if I sit directly in it, but am OK with general shady heat and even hot showers for example.

Then there is skin sensitivity - rashes, easy burning, noticeable hyperpigmentation etc. This is common in Lupus patients and others with autoimmune disorders - I get hyperpigmentation in the sun and have also broken out in blisters - but not all the time.

Then there is a general worsening of symptoms just by being in the sun and that is very common in MS:

http://ms.about.com/od/signssymptoms/a/heat_intoleranc.htm

I think it is not entirely clear which type the posters are discussing.

Of course it is possible to have them all!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
many tv shows and commercials use a strobe light when changing camera shots or other times when they want to grab our attention. especially sports shows and reality shows do that. It Kills my eyes. I look at the screen through my fingers in front of my face; also pull down the front of my hoodie some. What a fun time trying to enjoy television has become (< sarcasm). Just another example of the "lowering of quality of life" for us.

I find this a big problem too, but also movement on screen, fast panning etc. - another hate is camera lights flashing at celebrities, oh and a new show - that I didn't watch:( a web cam attached to someone, maybe a policemen, that was the show, this constant web cam picture bouncing up and down ughhh - I switched it off quickly, it made me feel sick within 3 seconds.

TheChosenOne

For your computer there is a free download called F. lux. It lets you adjust the brightness and colors of your computer screen. I swear by it.

As for tv, either sunglasses, which I wear all the time in places with lights or maybe you can find some tint to put over your tv screen.
The is something more up to date called redshift which seems to be somewhat more stable.
http://jonls.dk/redshift/
You know you can just adjust the brightness on your tv?

IreneF

th

the shortness of breath is very likely due to the hiking alone - exertional dyspneoa is common in these conditions
heat would make it worse thought due to the extra vasodilatation

Ally
I was wearing a heart rate monitor. My heart rate did not increase.