• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation Pathway Panel results - Analysis?

Hey all. I finally had the funds to get bloodwork done through Health Diagnostics. I would love any feedback or suggestions on my results! Thank you!

Attachments

• methylation_pathway_analysis_censored.jpg
    methylation_pathway_analysis_censored.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46

Aerose91

This is really interesting I didn't know you could have glutathione levels measured. I'm interested to see what people can interpret from this

caledonia

Use Rich Van Konynenburg's HDRI Methylation Panel Interpretation to interpret it (linked in my signature). Just off the top of my head, it looks pretty bad (which I guess ironically is good - this was the first test for me that showed just how screwed up I am).

Your bad oxidized glutathione is high, while your good reduced glutathione is low. You have a lot of things out of range, either high or low, or trending in that direction.

FYI - Mine showed that I might have a CBS problem, and it did turn out that way. I have a CBS C677T SNP and a bunch of BHMTs and I ended up having to do the CBS protocol before I could tolerate methyl supps.

@caledonia
I am hetero for almost all the CBS mutations, and hetero for most of the BHMT as well. What was your first step in addressing your issues? I know it's super complicated. I am using very small amounts of L-methylfolate and methylB12, like... scant amounts. And about a 1/4 capsule of Dr. Yasko's All-in-One multi.

Also, if it's of any interest to anyone, I had a scary and horrible anaphylactic reaction to I.V. Glutathione a few months ago. I think it might have also been a forced detox (I am also dealing with lyme and co-infections).

Aerose91

Odd you say that about the glutathione. The other day I drank some lemon juice (from organic lemons that I juiced myself) and I got so incredibly sick I wanted to die. I've never been so nauseous and had suck a bad headache. 3 days later I'm still not over it. I wonder if.it was just a detox reaction or.if there was some chemical on the lemon rind that didn't agree with me.

PeterPositive

Hey all. I finally had the funds to get bloodwork done through Health Diagnostics. I would love any feedback or suggestions on my results! Thank you!
Thanks for posting. I've sent my sample yesterday, how long did it take to have the results back?

Cheers

caledonia

@caledonia
What is the CBS protocol?

It's outlined on the Heartfixer page (see my signature links). But basically, you need to lower ammonia and sulfate via diet and supplements for a few months. That gets the CBS pathway cleared out, and you should be able to tolerate methyl supps then. At that point you should be able to drop the diet and most of the support supps. I still take a bit of molybdenum to keep the pathway operating well, so I don't get back into the same situation.

caledonia

@caledonia
I am hetero for almost all the CBS mutations, and hetero for most of the BHMT as well. What was your first step in addressing your issues? I know it's super complicated. I am using very small amounts of L-methylfolate and methylB12, like... scant amounts. And about a 1/4 capsule of Dr. Yasko's All-in-One multi.

Also, if it's of any interest to anyone, I had a scary and horrible anaphylactic reaction to I.V. Glutathione a few months ago. I think it might have also been a forced detox (I am also dealing with lyme and co-infections).

If you're already taking methyl supps and tolerating them, you probably don't need to worry about CBS. CBS can be expressed or not. So it sounds like yours is operating fine.

The All in One multi already has methylfolate in it. So if you're adding additional methylfolate, make sure you have more methylB12 than methylfolate. Don't count the B12 in the All in One because it's oral and won't absorb well. Make sure the methylB12 is sublingual or injection.

@caledonia So, judging from my reaction to the Glutathione via I.V., I think I have issues with sulfur. Especially considering my inability to tolerate things like garlic and onions. Wouldn't this point to a CBS problem? What would be another explanation for my severe reaction to glutathione? I don't tolerate methyl's all that well, I am on maybe 1,000mcg of methlB12, sublingual, once a week or so, with days of feeling shitty afterwards.

caledonia

@caledonia So, judging from my reaction to the Glutathione via I.V., I think I have issues with sulfur. Especially considering my inability to tolerate things like garlic and onions. Wouldn't this point to a CBS problem? What would be another explanation for my severe reaction to glutathione? I don't tolerate methyl's all that well, I am on maybe 1,000mcg of methlB12, sublingual, once a week or so, with days of feeling shitty afterwards.

It depends on what kind of "shitty" symptoms you're getting. Could be sulfur/CBS, could be metal or other detox, could be low potassium, could be you're making oxidized instead of reduced glutathione, and so creating more oxidative stress. It could be all of the above!

On the HDRI Methylation Panel, the sum of your SAM and SAH is 76.7, which is way below 268, so that suggests a CBS problem. The problems with garlic and onions are another hit. Then you have both CBS mutations and several BHMT SNPs, so that's another hit.

I would give a maybe for glutathione intolerance, as that could be the oxidized thing too. And a maybe for methylcobalamin as that could be other stuff too.

So there are at least three solid hits for a CBS problem. So my suggestion would be to pursue that. You may want to discontinue the methylB12 temporarily until CBS is cleared. Then when you restart, divide it into much smaller doses and take it more often.

I can take a lot more if I divide it into 4 small doses a day. If I take the same amount per day in one dose, I get metal detox symptoms (achy, tired), but I'm ok with the same amount spread over 4 doses.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Mine were similar but worse with 12 values out of range, lower reduced glutathione, etc. The good news is that after a year of being on Rich's methylation protocols everything had improved considerably.

Best,
Sushi

PeterPositive

Mine were similar but worse with 12 values out of range, lower reduced glutathione, etc. The good news is that after a year of being on Rich's methylation protocols everything had improved considerably.

Best,
Sushi
Did you also improve health-wise?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I see, did you re-test to see if levels of SAM, SAH, glutathione etc... improved?

Yes, I retested after a year. All values were much improved though some were still out of range. I continued with this protocol for quite a few years, so presumably values continued to improve though I only retested once.

Sushi