• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Shellbell

Thank you Rich for such a clear explanation about quinolones. This really should make us cautious about what medications we are prescribe before we are put them in our mouths.

As far as being vulnerable before cipro, I definitely was. I had very minor crashes throughout my life from various things, only lasting very short periods of time and never taken me out of circulation. Now that I know better, I will be forever cautious about any meds that are given to me. I just wish more doctors were as cautious too!

The doctor that gave me the cipro didn't believe what had happened to me and told me I was faking it. Even after presenting the side effects sheet from the pharmacy, he still told me I was nuts and that those side effects "never happen to anyone." Needless to say, he was immediately fired as my doctor!!!

Thank you again,
Shelly

jeffrez

I'm feeling a little different since going to 4-5mg of mb12. Not sure what it is yet, but it's like my muscles and tendons don't have the same pain after exertion. My general energy may or may not be increased, but it feels like it is increased a little bit, although no cognitive improvements. But after the amount of exertion I did yesterday - up early for fasting blood draw, couple of walks to do stuff around the house and yard, putting screen in window, etc. - ordinarily later I would have felt like I got hit by a bus with all the muscle and soft tissue pain. Now it's definitely just not as bad. I'm thinking it could be the ssri I'm taking that's reducing pain sensitivity, but not really sure. 2 days now on 5mg., will have to re-assess as I get up closer to 10mg. But something is going on, that's for sure.

L'engle

moogle
I'm feeling a little different since going to 4-5mg of mb12. Not sure what it is yet, but it's like my muscles and tendons don't have the same pain after exertion. My general energy may or may not be increased, but it feels like it is increased a little bit, although no cognitive improvements. But after the amount of exertion I did yesterday - up early for fasting blood draw, couple of walks to do stuff around the house and yard, putting screen in window, etc. - ordinarily later I would have felt like I got hit by a bus with all the muscle and soft tissue pain. Now it's definitely just not as bad. I'm thinking it could be the ssri I'm taking that's reducing pain sensitivity, but not really sure. 2 days now on 5mg., will have to re-assess as I get up closer to 10mg. But something is going on, that's for sure.

This describes my general response also. As I go up to 15-20mg, I'm getting very minor headaches, though the body improvement continues. Mental fog is still very much in effect. (I have more co-factors to add, though).

As well, I notice the effects of the mb12 seem to be cumulative through the day as I take them, then wear off somewhat overnight. So I am still physically weak in the morning, but this improves throughout the day.

Freddd

Hi Mr Kite,

If you go look at the symptoms list you will see about a dozen different forms of muscle pain listed. Below is an extract. Some of them respond specifically to mb12.

burning muscle pain
accumulating muscle pains following exertion
sore muscles throughout body
lack of muscle recovery after exercise
exercise does not build muscle
extremely sore neck muscles reversing normal curvature of neck
frequent muscle spasms anywhere in body
muscle pain especially around attachment points to bones
Eighteen severely tender muscle spots of FMS
severe abnormal muscle fatigue up to and including apparent paralysis leading to death
painfully tight, stiff muscles, especially legs and arms
Widespread muscle pain responding to NSAID

Don't forget low potassium. It can creep up on you slowly or hit like a ton of bricks.

jeffrez

This describes my general response also. As I go up to 15-20mg, I'm getting very minor headaches, though the body improvement continues. Mental fog is still very much in effect. (I have more co-factors to add, though).

As well, I notice the effects of the mb12 seem to be cumulative through the day as I take them, then wear off somewhat overnight. So I am still physically weak in the morning, but this improves throughout the day.

Same here! I am feeling better in the evening, definitely. Thought it might be from cortisol increase, but still not really sure what's going on. But it is getting interesting. Haven't even added in the 5-mthf or ab12 yet.

Fred, if these effects indeed are attributable to the b12, how long would you say it would take at a good dose (say 10 or 20mg) to really start repairing things? Is there a point where the muscle/tendon pains just kind of stay 'fixed' and the b12 then goes on to improving other areas?

I started taking some potassium recently just to be safe. My alt. doc said 200mg is probably good - what do you think?

Freddd

Same here! I am feeling better in the evening, definitely. Thought it might be from cortisol increase, but still not really sure what's going on. But it is getting interesting. Haven't even added in the 5-mthf or ab12 yet.

Fred, if these effects indeed are attributable to the b12, how long would you say it would take at a good dose (say 10 or 20mg) to really start repairing things? Is there a point where the muscle/tendon pains just kind of stay 'fixed' and the b12 then goes on to improving other areas?

I started taking some potassium recently just to be safe. My alt. doc said 200mg is probably good - what do you think?

Hi Mr Kite,

to really start repairing things?

In 10 days from the start of 1-5mg, epithelial tissue healing is already well under way. More makes sure all the tissues are penetrated before being excreted. When the steadystate is reached, no overnight decrease, healing progresses 24 hours a day and is at maximum rate. Even right now the biggest thing stopping the most rapid healing is missing cofactors and/or induced deficiencies by outrunning the supply of (magnesium, zinc, Metafolin, b-complex, A, D, potassium, l-carnitine fumarate, adb12 (muscles especially), and so on).

My alt. doc said 200mg is probably good - what do you think?

It's a good start. Pay attention to sudden onset of spasms while at rest, sudden mood changes, onset of nausea, weakness, fatigue and a number of other things. Currently without 1200mg a day I have a problem, increased from 800 for need since dropping the folic acid.

Shellbell

Mr. Kite and L'engle, body pain, followed by depression were the first two problems to go for me when I started. It was such a welcome relief! I can't tell you how good it felt. My energy had begun to increased too, enough that I was beginning to start mild exercise.

Once I went up to 20mg of b12, I started getting migraines and an increase in digestive pain. Very soon after, I also started to increase my adb12 and added in zinc and then everything started to fall apart. My body pain has returned, depression/anxiety has been heavy, and my fatigue has greatly increased.

This has been going on for almost 2 weeks. This morning, I got up feeling even worse. I got in the shower and my heart started racing. Not even my beta blocker stopped this. My legs felt like they were going to give out and my fatigue was unreal. I thought I might collapse. Remembering how Fred said to watch for low potassium, I downed 3 caps and it went away within an hour.

At the moment, I actually feel better right now than I have in 2 weeks. But I also haven't taken any zinc today, as I think this was contributing. I am going to restart with a lower dose. I think adb12 was a contributor to how I have been feeling too.

So, be careful in watching your potassium. I was already taking 2 x 99mg plus eating a banana a day as a part of my regular supplement regimine. This wasn't enough to stop what was happening this morning.

Shelly

Red04

6 month update

You can click on my username and read my wifes story. I just wanted to let everyone know that she has been training for a sprint triathalon (5k run/500M swim/15 mile ride) for about 2 months. The race is in two weeks and she is more than prepared. For practice and on different days, she runs 8k, swims 1000M and bikes well over an hour.

Amazing turnaround from what felt like a death sentence only 6 months ago.

Thanks Freddd!

L'engle

moogle
Mr. Kite and L'engle, body pain, followed by depression were the first two problems to go for me when I started. It was such a welcome relief! I can't tell you how good it felt. My energy had begun to increased too, enough that I was beginning to start mild exercise.

Once I went up to 20mg of b12, I started getting migraines and an increase in digestive pain. Very soon after, I also started to increase my adb12 and added in zinc and then everything started to fall apart. My body pain has returned, depression/anxiety has been heavy, and my fatigue has greatly increased.

This has been going on for almost 2 weeks. This morning, I got up feeling even worse. I got in the shower and my heart started racing. Not even my beta blocker stopped this. My legs felt like they were going to give out and my fatigue was unreal. I thought I might collapse. Remembering how Fred said to watch for low potassium, I downed 3 caps and it went away within an hour.

At the moment, I actually feel better right now than I have in 2 weeks. But I also haven't taken any zinc today, as I think this was contributing. I am going to restart with a lower dose. I think adb12 was a contributor to how I have been feeling too.

So, be careful in watching your potassium. I was already taking 2 x 99mg plus eating a banana a day as a part of my regular supplement regimine. This wasn't enough to stop what was happening this morning.

Shelly

Thanks Shelly,

I tend to take around 1000mg potassium a day in addition to food sources. May be too much for some people. My start-up reactions haven't been too bad as long as I take potassium. I'm still getting co-factors together though, even getting a complete b-vitamin seems to be complicated. I'm getting together separate vitamins, so I will have a longer time supply of each b vitamin component. Finding it tough to get all of them though.

Freddd

You can click on my username and read my wifes story. I just wanted to let everyone know that she has been training for a sprint triathalon (5k run/500M swim/15 mile ride) for about 2 months. The race is in two weeks and she is more than prepared. For practice and on different days, she runs 8k, swims 1000M and bikes well over an hour.

Amazing turnaround from what felt like a death sentence only 6 months ago.

Thanks Freddd!

Hi Red,

You are welcome. it's good to hear such a story. It's amazing the difference a few supplements of the right kind can make.

Is there a recommended amount of potassium for this protocol? Also, what type of potassium? I have tablets of 595mg potassium gluconate, but have read potassium chloride may be better at treating hypokalemia (sp?). Thanks!

L'engle

moogle
Is there a recommended amount of potassium for this protocol? Also, what type of potassium? I have tablets of 595mg potassium gluconate, but have read potassium chloride may be better at treating hypokalemia (sp?). Thanks!

I've tried potassium citrate and potassium amino acid chelate. They both seem good. Country life makes a very inexpensive one. I take 1000mg a day but I've been cautioned that potassium in blood can increase suddenly after increasing slowly for a while, so you need to be careful about continuing to take a large amount and it's a good idea to get a blood test. Take the minimum amount needed to prevent leg cramping is what I have been told.

Shellbell

Hi Fred, I don't know if this b complex was looked at yet, but what about Pure Encapsulations B-Complex Plus? It contains mb12 and folate. Not sure about mg difference though in comparison to the B-Right and if it would be a big difference. I realize that a couple of things would have to be supplemented separately, like inositol and choline. Sorry if this has already been looked at. I just can't remember.

Thanks,
Shelly

Freddd

Hi Fred, I don't know if this b complex was looked at yet, but what about Pure Encapsulations B-Complex Plus? It contains mb12 and folate. Not sure about mg difference though in comparison to the B-Right and if it would be a big difference. I realize that a couple of things would have to be supplemented separately, like inositol and choline. Sorry if this has already been looked at. I just can't remember.

Thanks,
Shelly

Hi Shelly,

Pure Encapsulations has been mentioned. Where can you get it? Can you post a link? A number of people are trying a number of different supplements. I'm trying a different one each month for a while. In a few months when we all compare notes we could come up with one or more that might expand our options. Or perhaps 1 each of two different ones in a day to affect the balance. So I don't know what all of us will come up with. Thank you for mentioning it.

Shellbell

Hi Fred, thank you for your reply. You can get it from PureFormulas.com. I have been happy with their service, shipping is free (I think!), and I have never had a problem with them. I think I might give this one a try. A friend of mine uses their B 6 complex and loves it. She also likes that it doesn't contain fillers.

I also ordered the Douglas Labs B complex with metafolin a couple of weeks ago and still haven't received it. I have never used them before. I don't know if I am allowed to put out their name here, but I won't be ordering from this vitamin store/company again.

Thanks again,
Shelly