• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

this page at CDC about zombies was too tempting not to comment

lansbergen

1955, Royal Free Hospital Outbreak.
  • 292 members of staff come down with an infectious outbreak, that forces the hospital's closure between 25th July and 5th October.
anyway its a mystery. What did was different about the medical staff? Did something like vaccines they may of had lead them to being more susceptable? or was it something else?.

As I understand it they did not rest soon enough.

taniaaust1

As I understand it they did not rest soon enough.

wow.. that would make sense. Any patients who got sick were already in bed and resting so recovered and the nurses etc would of had a hard time with taking time off while sick so many would of tried to keep working...

This epidemic then I guess could be used to try to prove the benefits of rest esp early illness...

Izola

Whoah, seriously though? On a larger note I have never heard of wide spread M.E. break outs before, that makes things pretty interesting and definitely laughed really hard at the article and your comment was important to put across.

If there are versions of M.E. that are wide spread this would signify an underlying pathogenic cause for some, if clearly it would not be genetic or an auto immune thing in these cases, kind of makes wonder as to what can do that and stay in ones system to create long term severe illness.

I am really scratching my head here on this one, what are the theories so far about possible causes in M.E. break outs? Just seems like something that is extremely rare, so to hear a break out sounds very important to look into.

I am confused about what you were laughing about and what "article" are you referring to?

There were about 60 documented cluster outbreaks in the U.S., U.K, Canada, and contiguous countries between 1934 and 1984. If there have been any clusters after 1992, they have been below many people's radar.

The disease, named Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, (M.E.) was changed by the CDC to "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" (cfs) and given a sloppy, incomplete, and inaccurate diagnostic criteria. If you have been diagnosed with cfs you may have something other than M.E.

M.E. was, and is, in my lay educated belief, a discreet illness precipitated by a single pathogen that has managed to so change our CNS such that we cannot resist, (immunological dysfunction) other pathogens. Along with that dysfunctions, we have several others which I will not list because it hurts to type and I don't want to be wrong.. See NAME-US.org M.E. for the details.

There are pathogens with long lasting impacts. Talk to the people with "post polio" syndrome. Polio is caused by an enterovirus. An enterovirus was long believed to be the cause of M.E. Until someone proves me wrong, I still find it plausible. So doe Dr. Chia, one of our experts. Several others, I hear, are beginning to return to that hypothesis.

On another topic-- mass hysteria--I think there is a lot of it --at the CDC/HHS. OMG, what will they do if the Insurance Magnates think they are letting M.E. go public? Who will make the yacht payments?

Last edited:

alex3619

There are lots of good reasons to believe the cluster outbreak cases could indeed be autoimmune (though this should include autoinflammatory) or involve genetics. Many people come down with these pathogens, but only some get ME. Indeed we know that an ME-like syndrome results from around 10% of some kinds of infections, and the main predictor is severity of initial symptoms. Something changes in these patients. The debate is about what changes, why it changes, and what happens over time.

peggy-sue

I'm a quarter of a teeny tiny cluster!

I spent Christmas 2003 with Michael and my brother and his partner from London - 500 miles from where we live, so they and we are not used to the same bugs.

My brother's partner had a horrible 'flu he brought with him.

Only he suffered from it, the rest of us were only affected mildly.

Two months later, my brother's partner and I (unrelated and from different ends of the uk) got ME.

My brother got a 9 month PVFS, and still has to be careful, my partner suddenly got IBS.

All 4 of us were affected in the long term. But not in the same way, and not depending on who is related.

Martial

I am confused about what you were laughing about and what "article" are you referring to?

There were about 60 documented cluster outbreaks in the U.S., U.K, Canada, and contiguous countries between 1934 and 1984. If there have been any clusters after 1992, they have been below many people's radar.

The disease, named Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, (M.E.) was changed by the CDC to "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" (cfs) and given a sloppy, incomplete, and inaccurate diagnostic criteria. If you have been diagnosed with cfs you may have something other than M.E.

M.E. was, and is, in my lay educated belief, a discreet illness precipitated by a single pathogen that has managed to so change our CNS such that we cannot resist, (immunological dysfunction) other pathogens. Along with that dysfunctions, we have several others which I will not list because it hurts to type and I don't want to be wrong.. See NAME-US.org M.E. for the details.

There are pathogens with long lasting impacts. Talk to the people with "post polio" syndrome. Polio is caused by an enterovirus. An enterovirus was long believed to be the cause of M.E. Until someone proves me wrong, I still find it plausible. So doe Dr. Chia, one of our experts. Several others, I hear, are beginning to return to that hypothesis.

On another topic-- mass hysteria--I think there is a lot of it --at the CDC/HHS. OMG, what will they do if the Insurance Magnates think they are letting M.E. go public? Who will make the yacht payments?

I was not laughing at M.E. man relax, it was in response to the zombie article because that was humorous., If you knew me a bit better then you know I would not make insensitive comments like that, I know full well how challenging chronic illness is. even the massive frustration at not being believed or taken seriously because of a lack of provable testing for active issues.

Izola

I was not laughing at M.E. man relax, it was in response to the zombie article because that was humorous., If you knew me a bit better then you know I would not make insensitive comments like that, I know full well how challenging chronic illness is. even the massive frustration at not being believed or taken seriously because of a lack of provable testing for active issues.

Hi Martial:
I really couldn't figure out what "article'. Sometimes (most times) I read things in pieces and my brain is trained to "posts." My brain is getting very small, like the undead!

I am sorry my reaction did not reflect your intent. Also, it was not meant to be ubber hostile but more protectiveness and inquiry. Believe me, we get a lot more crap from people we know than a simple laugh. As it appears you already know. And I do so much like to return to M.E.'s origins. So, truce?

And thanks for being so gentle with me. Today I practically got my hide torn off by someone I have known most of my adult life. I don't think she had a clue of her impact. Unfortunately, at times I do not know mine.

Truth be known, she is a retired high profile criminal devouring prosecutor. I think she forgets that she isn't prosecuting. I watched her take down one of the nation's most well known criminal evidence experts. An amazing show. :jaw-drop:o_O:woot: So, that I still have my skin after today is a minor miracle. Iz

Izola

http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

I bet my comment to the CDC zombie blog will get moderated out.. but anyway, this is the reply I just sent to them re their page here

"Unfortunately CDC has been proven to ignore zombie Apocalypse situations. The general public could well find with any new outbreak that it goes unchecked.

Back in the 1980s, there was a Myalgic Encephalomylitis (ME) outbeak at Lake Tahoe, with hundreds sick. The CDC was brought into investigate and didnt even recognise the illness. At first they put it down to an outbreak of EBV but then tests came back showing that was incorrect. So what did they do then? They put it down to hysteria. Later on the called it CFS still not aknowledging the outbreak for what it was.

Myalgic Encephalomylitis is an illness in which there has been outbreaks of throughout history all over the world eg what was called Royal Free Disease an outbreak which occurred at a hospital in UK was an outbreak of this, so if the CDC cant recognise this, can people trust them to recognise another serious illness.

This very sick patient group walk around like zombies every day (I myself cant even do that, this illness has put me into a wheelchair and regularly sends me to hospital) and is one of the lowest funded for research illnesses out there. The cause of this illness still isnt known.

So yeah stock up but dont trust the CDC to save you. Like the current zombie plague (some of us have infected others with this disease!), you may find the CDC do not save you. You can feel just a tiny bit more safe, seeing a few years ago, we were banned from donating blood so now you just need to watch out from a kiss or bite (or using anothers glass, that's how my sister got it from me).

Tanya Selth
(a long term severe ME sufferer/zombie) "

BRAVO! BRAVO! taniaaust1 A bow to you Madam for taking on the CDC. A Masterful piece. Thank you. Thank you. Izola

Izola

:balloons::balloons:Thank you, peggy-sue:), Valentijn:) and Sidereal:) and you quiet shy one;),:balloons: for your likes!!

:p:D:rofl::lol:And, thank you roseblossem:lol: and Peggy-Sue:rofl: and whoever I missed,:rofl::D for your foregoing vaudeville act. You'all cracked me up so hard I almost fell off my bed.:oops::p:rofl: