• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blood Pressure and CFS

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows if low blood pressure is a symptom of CFS, or if it can cause ongoing fatigue? I had mine assessed and it was 95/65 which is just above the threshold for hypotension (90/60). Its probably just genetic though.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows if low blood pressure is a symptom of CFS, or if it can cause ongoing fatigue? I had mine assessed and it was 95/65 which is just above the threshold for hypotension (90/60). Its probably just genetic though.

Yes, it is. There is a section here under Symptoms called autonomic, cardiovascular... and you will finds some threads there. You will find more under Treatment in the Problems with standing, Orthostatic intolerance section.

Low blood pressure goes with low blood volume, autonomic dysfunction, and other conditions that are common in ME/CFS.

Sushi

Yes, it is. There is a section here under Symptoms called autonomic, cardiovascular... and you will finds some threads there. You will find more under Treatment in the Problems with standing, Orthostatic intolerance section.

Low blood pressure goes with low blood volume, autonomic dysfunction, and other conditions that are common in ME/CFS.

Sushi
That's interesting. Thanks Sushi. I will have a look!

manna

also the chinese have the blood pressure more governed by the spleen. the idea that its the specfic "quality" and consistency of your blood that allows the heart to pump correctly...so its the blood that pumps the heart, not vice versa, according to them, i think, thats how i read it.

Forbin

There is also a condition called "orthostatic hypertension" in which the blood pressure rises significantly upon standing. Dr. Bell described a patient who suffered from this due to hypovolemia (low blood volume). It can also be caused by blood pooling in the legs (often seen in the elderly) as well as by "vascular adrenergic hypersensitivity" which, I think, increases vasoconstricition (and thus BP) on standing.

I think, in hypovolemia in particular, the increase in blood pressure on standing may still not be sufficient to completely compensate for the low blood volume. So, even though you'd have high blood pressure, you're ability to stand would be impaired by low blood flow to the brain, as it is in orthostatic hypotention.

SOC

Read here for lots of info about OI, including low blood pressure, in ME/CFS.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
Hi @yabeeb ,

The problem, as I understand it, is not simply low blood pressure (BP) at rest. I had fairly low BP for many years before getting sick. I had no problem with exercise (weight lifting, running, hiking) or with working a full time job in spite of my fairly low BP.

It seems that in many patients with ME/CFS something is wrong with the autonomic system. This controls a person's heart rate, blood pressure, temperature control and other things. Many patients with a ME/CFS diagnosis have symptoms related to the autonomic system. These problems (big drops in BP, or big swings in BP - both high and low, increased heart rate on standing, low blood volume, and probably other things that I'm forgetting) usually fall under the umbrella diagnosis of Orthostatic Intolerance (OI).

SOC already posted several good links but here are a few more:

* Medscape overview article
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/902155-overview#showall
(use tabs on the left side of the page to navigate through the article)

* Video ("webinar") by Dr. Rowe of Johns Hopkins:
Managing Orthostatic Intolerance <-- video link on youtube.com

* Brochure from Johns Hopkins (PDF file)
http://www.dysautonomiainternational.org/pdf/RoweOIsummary.pdf

I hope this helps!

Thanks guys. Also, my heart rate was only 55bpm which is pretty low for someone who has done minimal exercise for the last 7yrs. I don't get any major swings in HR though which would suggest OI. If i am more exhausted than usual or particularly symptomatic with my ME/CFS, then I notice my heart having to work harder but it only goes up to about 70-75bpm which is standard. To me it feels abnormal though.