• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best Test for B6?

Hi!

I have been advised here to test my B6. I had a look at older post but I cant find much info on this.

I found that the blood test is not the best option.

Any experience or thoughts on B6 tests?

Victronix

I actually just ran into a problem recently with B6 and so had to stop taking it (noticed an immediate improvement in symptoms). I had a blood test 2 days after I stopped taking all forms of B6 and it came up as 30.7ug/L out of a range of 2.0 - 32.8ug/L. So I think the basic blood test is useful, even if it isn't the best.

SJB944

Not sure there is any other direct test than blood -- which can look for B6 or P5P, the later being the active form. There is debate over which is more meaningful. You can have high b6 but low P5P. A urine test for organic acids can also point to b6 levels, but needs interpretation and I can find little research confirming it's accuracy.

The question is what does a blood test b6 tell you? Is it indicative of B6 at the cell level?

@Victronix Im curious too. Your blood test didn't seem out of range but you were feeling bad while on B6.

The blood testing will make more sense to me if you feel bad on B6 and then when.you test the result is out of range and really high, no?

@SJB944 you comment just leaves me with more questions than oher thing. I guess it will.be nice a combination of a blood test + organic acids test.

@SJB944 Not the answer I was looking for... but so true.

I'm used to be my own guinea pig :)

Just in another of my post @Martial said:

Though again check your b6 levels before using a b6 supplement or P5P again, you don't want to risk toxicity, it would be better to get the rest as stand alone versions which doesn't add up to much anyways for now. When you find out if you can use b6 or not then supplement a complex vitamin again, hope this helps.

From this post: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-body-loves-hates-it.30086/page-2#post-460744

And since I had such a bad weeks just because of trying B's I thought to test this would be nice. But obiously only if it says something.

By the way @Martial if you could recommend the test you was refering to it would be very helpfull as I haven't been able to find anything.

Martial

@SJB944 Not the answer I was looking for... but so true.

I'm used to be my own guinea pig :)

Just in another of my post @Martial said:

From this post: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-body-loves-hates-it.30086/page-2#post-460744

And since I had such a bad weeks just because of trying B's I thought to test this would be nice. But obiously only if it says something.

By the way @Martial if you could recommend the test you was refering to it would be very helpfull as I haven't been able to find anything.

https://pyroluriatesting.com/