• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MTHFR & COMT

I did some gene lab tests and found out I am homozygous MTHFR - C677T and homozygous COMT - rs4680 Val. The explanation says higher COMT activity and parallel reduction in frontal lobe dopamine. From my understanding this means my body breaks down dopamine faster than normal. Every time I try to take the l-methylfolate to help with the MTHFR mutation, I get anxious. What I don't understand is if I am COMT - rs4680 val, why do I get the anxiety, if my body breaks down dopamine faster than normal.

What can I do to be able to take the l-methylfolate without getting the anxiety.

Thank you for your help

zzz0r

No thats not it. COMT++ is a downregulation meaning that dopamine is broken down slower than normal by the receptors. So large ammounts of dopamine are concentrated in the brain

Thank you for your response. It can go either way depending if you are COMT MET or COMT VAL. In this link it explains how the COMT val/val (warriors) affects dopamine. It states people with this allele break down dopamine faster than normal.

http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs4680

It is the same explanation I got from the results report at Gonomind (where I had the lab tests done): "Associated with higher COMT activity and parallel reduction in frontal lope dopamine and working memory."

It seems everytime I try to help the methylation pathway, I get anxious. I took trimethylglycine (TMG), which is a methyl donor, and I got anxiety too.

What can I do to be able to take the l-methylfolate or TMG without getting the anxiety.

zzz0r

Kreiss is the first time I hear about this hypothesis. I am COMT V158M++ and COMT H62H ++. My symptoms are those of high dopamine that means anxiety in general that increases with methyldonors. Also I have that kind of character that always want to achieve more staff and be competitive, also explained by increased levels of dopamine. I can not either tolerate methylfolate. Btw do you get any other symptoms except anxiety when taking methylfolate?

so are you rs4680 val/met ? I am rs4680 val/val. The only symptom I get when I try methyl donors is anxity. It is not only with methylfolate, but with any methyl donor. I started taking trimethylglycine (TMG) last Wednesday, and my anxiety worsen by Friday. Had to stop taking it. I wonder what is the cause for this. I read in other threats it is not necessary due to COMT mutation. But so, how can one discover what is the reason ?

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/comt-and-methylfolate.21850/

Can anyone please shine some light to this. or what to test to find out why this is happening.

Thank you very much for your help.

No, I am not COMT A/G. from the genomind lab test, I am COMT Val/Val, which means I am COMT VAL 158 GG. I have not tested sulfate levels, aluminum or heavy metals. are these tests done through hair or blood ? Could that be the reason why I get anxious when I take any methyl donor.

Thank you.

I finally got the results from 23andme:

COMT V158M rs4680 GG -/-
VDR Taq rs731236 AA +/+
MAO A R297R rs6323 GT +/-
MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AA +/+
MTRR A66G rs1801394 AG +/-
MTRR K350A rs162036 AG +/-
MTRR A664A rs1802059 AG +/-

I went to see my naturopatic Doctor today, and She told me my symptoms do not match with the results from the test, meaning people who are COMT V158M rs4680 (GG) (-/-) should tolerate the methyl donors well. She does not understand why I get anxious when I take a methyl donor. Do you have any ideas why this could be happening ?

BTW, I take pristiq - 150 mg.

Thanks a lot for your help.

I went to see my naturopatic Doctor today, and She told me my symptoms do not match with the results from the test, meaning people who are COMT V158M rs4680 (GG) (-/-) should tolerate the methyl donors well. She does not understand why I get anxious when I take a methyl donor. Do you have any ideas why this could be happening ?
There are other COMT, VDR, and MAO variations which can have an impact, not just the few listed by Yasko and Genetic Genie.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-vdr-variations.24480/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-comt-variations.24672/

I haven't looked for MAO variations.

musicchick581

No, I am not COMT A/G. from the genomind lab test, I am COMT Val/Val, which means I am COMT VAL 158 GG. I have not tested sulfate levels, aluminum or heavy metals. are these tests done through hair or blood ? Could that be the reason why I get anxious when I take any methyl donor.

Thank you.

Any idea how that translates to 23 and me?

Kreiss is the first time I hear about this hypothesis. I am COMT V158M++ and COMT H62H ++. My symptoms are those of high dopamine that means anxiety in general that increases with methyldonors. Also I have that kind of character that always want to achieve more staff and be competitive, also explained by increased levels of dopamine. I can not either tolerate methylfolate. Btw do you get any other symptoms except anxiety when taking methylfolate?
Hi (new here)--just got my 23& Me results and am also V158M++ and COMT H62H--I have looked all over the internet and according to Yasko she recommends "MethylMate A Caps," "MethylMate B Caps" and B-12 (sublingual hydroxy-cobalamine). I am a little nervous about trying anything with Folate as I have not had good luck in the past either--but really want to "fix" this issue if at all possible. What types of folate have you tried, and any with success? Thanks very much--take care, Tammi