• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Should I try to treat my gene mutations?

I pretty much can't tolerate any amount of methylfolate. I feel really hot, exhausted, and I can't sleep on amounts less than 250 mcg. Is this a sign that it 's working or is it a sign that I need to leave it alone? Or is it a sign that the CBS mutations need addressing? So much conflicting info out there.

Here are my notable mutations

MTHFR A1298C - Homozygous

CBS C699T & CBS A36OA - Both Heterozygous

I've been treating thyroid/adrenals/food allergies for years and I continue to get worse every year. I wonder if exploring mutations is worth the effort or should I keep searching other areas?

Thanks.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
IMO you have to attack this from multiple angles. I started
Molybdenum for my CBS mutations, next is methylfolate.

I'm also using antivirals and working on my immune system. Also working in inflammation. Hormones play a role too. And sleep.

taniaaust1

If you know you have mutations I think you should explore them as they often can be affecting things (Ive personally found that mine affected me far more then I'd first thought) and every bit can help when it comes to this illness.

I take molybdenum too. CBS had me with nearly nil molybdenum in my body (which is shown on my hair tests). The molybdenum helped me regain a lot of my thinking ability (I had a great improvement in my ability to work out things in my head after only 5 days of taking it). I went from not being able to do any maths at all in my head or years to being able to add up two digit numbers in my head (sometimes) due to it.

I also had extremely high copper due to my very low molybdenum.

Mutations will mess with your body in all kinds of ways.

Last edited:

Martial

Do something about the CBS mutations before working on the rest, that is usually the general advice given in that situation.

Usually P5P 10mg, 20mg of Niacin 3 times a day, 150-300mg of molybdenum, and removing sulfurs and sulfites from the diet, focus on de toxing ammonia and suporting the liver and kidneys. Once you feel less toxic then add in the Methyl folate, but work it slowly enough that you don't get overwhelmed or bad reactions.

Sometimes we just have to accept the de tox type reactions to though, healing does not always feel "good" but there is a difference between a bad reaction and detox, this is best discussed with a doctor who can better assist you in person with the process. Sometimes you can do more harm then good if you don't have everything lined up first.

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll go ahead and try some supplements to combat the CBS mutations. Not interested in another diet. I've already cut gluten, caisen, eggs, and corn. If I cut animal protein, I'll starve. Meats are about the only food I can eat that doesn't cause trouble.

Could there be a chance that my extreme sensitivity to methylfolate is because I don't really need it? If a normal person took 250 mcg of methyl folate, how would they react?

Martial

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll go ahead and try some supplements to combat the CBS mutations. Not interested in another diet. I've already cut gluten, caisen, eggs, and corn. If I cut animal protein, I'll starve. Meats are about the only food I can eat that doesn't cause trouble.

Could there be a chance that my extreme sensitivity to methylfolate is because I don't really need it? If a normal person took 250 mcg of methyl folate, how would they react?

You could try digestive enzymes to help like betaine hcl with pepsin, this is usually a big cause of food issues and sensitivities due to things fermenting in the gut. I also feel like meat is a pretty important nutrient and best to keep in your diet if at all possible, always use grass fed organic types though!

Your sensitivity is pretty common with many, especially for those that need it the most. If you have CBS issues it is best to look into that before though as their could be another methyl trap or issue that needs to be treated first.

I take HCL and enzymes with every meal and they help a lot with my horrible digestion.

I just ordered some yucca and molydenum, I'm going to try those for a few weeks and then try a small amount of methylfolate again and go from there.

Thanks

Esther12

? Is it possible for people to treat gene mutations? Not something impossible like treating a genetic disorder by altering your own genetic code? Do you mean making behavioural changes to account for genetic risk factors?

Interested to know what is meant by this if anyone's able to fill me in.

amaru7

@Esther12 yes he meant that obviously. Genetic polymorphisms are not changeable unfortunately otherwise we all would have our Holly grail for healing our diseases and most other more or less serious diseases would have been cured also then but I'm afraid that won't even happen in a thousand years.

I'm a strong believer in that the genetics make most of our health issues, Vitamin deficiencies, poor lifestyle, infections, toxins and drug abuse are all secondary, because they don't make all humans equally ill