• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Moringa oleifera - anybody tried it?

I ordered some and found this thread a couple days after. I had no bad effects from my first dose of 425 mg of leaf. I had positive effects but should confirm it was from the moringa.

Ambrosia_angel

@chilove I'm really happy for you!! Sadly I didn't see any improvement but I should have maybe tried it longer to see. It was also making me gag upon swallowing which made it difficult. I'm going to take it again though as I'm trying a new diet and need as much nutrition as possible :)

Aerose91

I winder if the increase in bowel movements is a type of GI tract cleansing. When people do intense cleanses they have crazy amounts of bowel movements, I believe they say every person has around 5 lbs of "stuff" that they can pass

@chilove I'm really happy for you!! Sadly I didn't see any improvement but I should have maybe tried it longer to see. It was also making me gag upon swallowing which made it difficult. I'm going to take it again though as I'm trying a new diet and need as much nutrition as possible :)

I bought mine in capsule form. You can put yours in capsules.

peggy-sue

Massive bowel movements are what we are supposed to have. :)

It's the modern processed diet that has got folk used to not producing big movements.

Dr. Michael Mosely did some interesting scientific exepriments on a tv show, which actually showed big heaps of poos - the amount somebody should produce in a year, on different diets from different parts of the world.

The difference in pile size on a processed food diet and one full of veggies and plenty of fibre was gobsmacking!

A bucketfull compared to a small skipfull.:wide-eyed:

acrosstheveil

this stuff burned my throat and gave me severe bloating/pain. It did not feel like it was doing my body good at all. I'll stick with my spirulina and chlorella for now.

Ambrosia_angel

this stuff burned my throat and gave me severe bloating/pain. It did not feel like it was doing my body good at all. I'll stick with my spirulina and chlorella for now.
Aww that's no good :(
Sounds like you have a really bad sensitivity to something in the plant. Are you sure it was the moringa? Did it happen when you tried it again?

acrosstheveil

yea i went through half the bottle and ended up throwing it out. maybe it was just the vendor but I think sticking to high chlorophyll foods work best for me. Hard to beat chlorella/spirulina in that area...

Lou

This is a very interesting thread and something tells me treatment outcomes may be vastly influenced by supplement form and region where plant is grown.

I see some take powder, some capsules and at least one picks their own leaves. So, perhaps, chilove (since you seem to have marked improvements) you can tell us brand and form of moringa that you currently use.

I'm wondering if moringa out of India or Africa or some other area has superior results.

Any thoughts, comments?

Last edited:

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I just jumped on the moringa bandwagon and ordered some.

Has it been helpful for brain inflammation for anyone?
I really need something to help me with that through allergy season, which greatly aggravates those symptoms.

Ambrosia_angel

This is a very interesting thread and something tells me treatment outcomes may be vastly influenced by supplement form and region where plant is grown.

I see some take powder, some capsules and at least one picks their own leaves. So, perhaps, chilove (since you seem to have marked improvements) you can tell us brand and form of moringa that you currently use.

I'm wondering if moringa out of India or Africa or some other area has superior results.

Any thoughts, comments?
There are two different mainsteam types of moringa but you only want moringa oleifera, the one that originates from India. I know that mine come a from India and they tested it at Cambridge university to check the nutritional value. They don't even use the African variety as the main plant to combat malnutrition because the Indian one is so much more nutritious and resilient.
Also seeing as you live in south east usa you could actually grow it yourself if you want. From what I gathered its pretty easy.

You can also eat the seeds. They have such an unusual taste!! It's really bitter and sweet at the same time.

If you get the powder you can also take higher doses too. Personally I saw the capsules as a rip off for the weight that you get vs getting some powder. There was a few good US company that I came across so you shouldn't struggle to find a reputable source. It was a lot harder for me to find it in the uk.

loz

Hello

I am new to this site. Briefly I got severe ME nearly 3 years ago and I am housebound, and affected severely physically and cognitively. I have tried lots of things and came across Moringa some months ago. I started to take it with Maca but it made me feel worse so I stopped. I researched Maca more and concluded that may have been the problem, but unsure.

I decided to start Moringa again and I only take tiniest bit, half of a quarter of a teaspoon. Started about 2 weeks ago. Symptoms got worse, mainly pain, headaches but I am just started to tolerate it, although I have come out in one or two spots and blood blisters in my mouth. So I believe it is doing something and I feel it is worth sticking with.

My advice, start very slowly, drink plenty of water and don't be in any rush to increase dosage, expect some effects but be gentle. I don't intend to increase for at least a month or so, may be longer. I will report back in a few weeks.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@brenda
never mind it looked interesting, and have read on some of the Lyme forums of people having success with it.