• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Food / Diet Ideas

Hysterical Woman

Hi Marcia,

You have given me more than enough to chew on (literally) for the next couple of days. Thanks so much for sharing your information. Hopefully, if I have more questions, you will continue to graciously answer them.

Take care,

Maxine

willow

Hi Maxine,

I had a vague recollection of someone saying green tea can be high in aluminium. I did a quick search and found this http://www.greenteahaus.com/group-r.htm but it focuses on brick tea (which I'd never heard of). There was this on green tea and flourine http://poisonfluoride.com/pfpc/html/green_tea___.html Infact I've been meaning to research green tea for ages, so you've reminded me, but other things are demanding my attention just now :)

Willow

Hysterical Woman

Hi Maxine,

I had a vague recollection of someone saying green tea can be high in aluminium. I did a quick search and found this http://www.greenteahaus.com/group-r.htm but it focuses on brick tea (which I'd never heard of). There was this on green tea and flourine http://poisonfluoride.com/pfpc/html/green_tea___.html Infact I've been meaning to research green tea for ages, so you've reminded me, but other things are demanding my attention just now :)

Willow

Hi Willow,

Thanks for the information. Do you think the "brick tea" means a brick of tea and not a particular type of tea?

Sigh. Could be aluminum or flourine in the green tea that makes me nauseous. Just tough to try to sort all this stuff out.

I will try to do a little more research on my own.

Take care,

Maxine

willow

Hi Maxine,

Yes! Now I remember that green tea can cause reflux type symptoms. Infact that and peppermint are the only things that make me burp, so I can see how it might make someone else feel nauseous.

And yes again, I think brick tea means brick of tea.

Thank you-Insights are fun!

Willow

HopingSince88

nourishment

I loved the book Nourishing Traditions by Fallon. She advocates a diet that would be similar to how folks ate back in the early 1900's prior to big agri-business. The author is sensitive to problems with gluten and dairy, and has some interesting things to say about how the processing of grains and dairy may be the culprit for some people, and not specifically the foods themselves, especially if you aren't forming an Ig(E) antibody to the food, and you are just having an intolerance to it.

The book contains instructions on how to make your own yogurt, kefir, sour cream, creme fraiche, etc. Also how to use fermentation with vegetables, which is a way to make them easier to digest.

Fallon has another book out about eating healthy fats and advocates the use of coconut fats and other fats that she says is healthy. She advocates raw whole dairy, organic meats including organs (yuck).

I am just starting this 'traditional' approach to foods and don't have any idea of whether it will work for me, but I am a blood type B and definitely do better on low-carb, so this approach may work for me. I'll keep you posted.

Hoping

zoe.a.m.

I loved the book Nourishing Traditions by Fallon. She advocates a diet that would be similar to how folks ate back in the early 1900's prior to big agri-business. The author is sensitive to problems with gluten and dairy, and has some interesting things to say about how the processing of grains and dairy may be the culprit for some people, and not specifically the foods themselves, especially if you aren't forming an Ig(E) antibody to the food, and you are just having an intolerance to it.

The book contains instructions on how to make your own yogurt, kefir, sour cream, creme fraiche, etc. Also how to use fermentation with vegetables, which is a way to make them easier to digest.

Fallon has another book out about eating healthy fats and advocates the use of coconut fats and other fats that she says is healthy. She advocates raw whole dairy, organic meats including organs (yuck).

I am just starting this 'traditional' approach to foods and don't have any idea of whether it will work for me, but I am a blood type B and definitely do better on low-carb, so this approach may work for me. I'll keep you posted.

Hoping

Hi HopingSince88,

I just ordered Nourishing Traditions and a crock pot (I was given the Fourfold Path to Healing book at the end of last year). I'm excited to get started reading it, and I think I know what to expect because of all of directives in Fourfold, but wow, I still wonder how it will work out time-wise and in reality!

Have you been making your own dairy products or fermented foods? My sister is the person who got me started on this and she makes goat-based yogurt and many other things from the books. Dairy has been a big problem for me so I'm not certain if it will really become a presence in my diet. I might try kefir or something to start. I've been using Traditional Chinese Medicine nutrition which specifies dairy as being "hot" and causing "damp heat" imbalance (viral, bacterial and candida infections for instance) which is a constitutional problem for me.

I hope you'll keep posting some info about how it's going for you, because it would be cool to have a study-buddy on this stuff. I'm waiting to find out if I will be able to eat potatoes!

Glad to find your post!

willow

Hi Zoe.a.m.

There's a UK yahoo group that follows nourishing traditions http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntuk/ Maybe a US based one too? Or perhaps you've already found it.

Personally I do no better on fermented dairy than I do on non-fermented, it still seems to feed bugs and cause general gut unhappiness, but as you likely know plenty find otherwise.

You probably know that those of Northern European stock are more likely to tolerate dairy, and I guess if those from TCM areas more frequently lack the ability to digest dairy then it follows that there's more food for bugs and more chance of them flourishing.

Willow