• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treatment for CBS/Sulfur issues?

chilove

Hey all,

I have a limited diet already and some of my favorite foods have a lot of sulfur. I would LOVE to be able to eat more of them. What is recommended for treating CBS & sulfur issues?

Thanks so much!

Audrey

Star-Anise

Hey girl, interesting story, I'm doing a nutritional balancing protocol with Theresa Vernon based on Dr. Wilson's protocol & I've been able to reintroduce some sulphur foods. I can't have a lot everyday, but I've been able to enjoy some stuff with onions in it, and some chocolate without any problems, whereas it would have previously caused me insta-agitation or fatigue. Probably the last thing anyone needs is a new supplement program, and I wouldn't recommend starting here for anyone that is really, really ill, but for those that are still struggling with fatigue but have regained some functionality through other protocols, this might be the final piece of the puzzle. It seems to be really helping me. She said that she has worked with people that have sulphur issues & all of their issues get resolved through the program.
If you want to find her, she's an easy google find.. S:)

ahmo

@chilove I'm sulfur intolerant, have no high thiol foods in my diet, although I'm successfully using chlorella. I'm using a number of things to balance my body's ammonia-producing tendencies. I started w/ yucca, but the tincture tastes awful and I didn't want the starch form. I take butyrate (Nutricology) w/ meals, also ornithine, arginine, citrulline. All have been helpful for me. I found when doing coffee enema detox I felt really bad afterwards. When I started adding these things to final rinse, no more toxic feeling. Clearly ammonia was being released in the process. I've also been using Yasko's CBS formula. I've been able to decrease the dosage during the year I've been using this, as methylation increases and detox continues. Best to you, ahmo

alex3619

Yes @Martial, there is lots of conflicting research out there including published papers. The point though is that you would expect to see two groups of abnormal snps, one with snps decreasing enzyme activity, and one with snps increasing enzyme activity, and unless there is strong evolutionary selection at work you would expect to see low function more often than high function, as most mutations decrease functioning of a protein.

If CBS is over-active then homocysteine would be used up, unless there is a second factor such as very poor MTHFR activity which is driving homocysteine accumulation. However even if MTHFR is not working right, you would expect that increasing CBS activity further would result in two things - more glutathione, and lower homocysteine. However it would then pay to monitor ammonia, and probably other consequences.

Homocysteine can form a product that replaces lysine in proteins, destroying their function. It can lead to increased blood coagulation. It often leads to premature death from aggressive vascular disease. One thing I find interesting, and this is completely speculative at this point, is that this may have an impact on herpes viruses.

Let me make one additional comment on herpes viruses - if they incorporate defective lysine then they may have an altered function. It is too hard to say what impact this would have, but it might lead to latent viruses.

chilove

Thanks so much everyone! Looks like yucca and molybedum are the best possible options. Maybe I should get some guidance though.. all this seems so complicated and overwhelming.

Thanks!

musicchick581

oh ok. Thank you. I just did the OAT and Amino acid test so they test ammonia. It will be interesting to see what it is.

@alex3619
I have high homocysteine and strongly positive hyrdrogen sulfide, but normal ammonia and b12.

Does this sound to you like down regulated CBS - and if so, do you know what may be of benefit for it?

You mention the possibility of Lysine being used incorrectly, which I have read elsewhere as well. Does this mean that supplementing Lysine would be of benefit, or only make matters worse? Or will it just be destroyed by the high homocysteine, therefore having no effect?