• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please Help The ME Association to Win this Month's Direct Debit competition!

Firestormm

Four of the main ME Charities in the UK agreed to each try their hand at this competition which runs every month. May is the MEAs turn. Please vote - it costs you nothing - and could see more funds for biomedical research :balloons:

Please vote for us and put money into ME/CFS biomedical research

1 May 2014

The race is off… in this month’s Direct Debit voting competition. The ME Association is one of the runners and, if we win one of the cash prizes, we promise it will be spent on biomedical research into ME/CFS.

We got off to a cracking start and at the moment we are holding our position in first place. But anything could happen over the course of the next month to affect our chances of winning the £2,000 first prize – so we really would appreciate your vote.

To vote for us, please click on THIS LINK.

me-association-100-x-100.jpg

ME affects one in every 250 people in the UK - children and adults. There is no cure. The disease is often triggered by an infection and can strike previously active individuals of any age. Without more biomedical research, diagnosis will remain complicated.

The disease affects people to different extents: some can't sleep, some sleep for abnormally long periods. Some become so weak they are confined to bed or a wheelchair for months and or even years. Inability to concentrate can take away the ability to read, to understand, and to make reliable decisions. Some succumb suddenly, while for others it is a gradual decline. Universally, quality of life is lost, and the disease can last for many years.

Medicine still has many questions to answer: how big a part is played by infection and the immune system? the brain and muscle? the gut? the heart? gene expression? is there an autoimmune component? And how do all the identified abnormalities fit together?

The ME Association funds only biomedical research. We currently fund studies into mitochondrial (muscle) dysfunction, immune function, and sleep disturbance, and we co-fund the UK ME Biobank - a valuable repository that shares blood samples with researchers. Progress is being made, but more funding for quality biomedical research is desperately needed.

If the MEA wins this contest, ALL the money will be ring-fenced for biomedical research into either: a clinical trial of Rituximab, a study of neuroinflammation, or the exploration of immune system abnormalities.

We also produce valued information, advice and support to sufferers and their families. We believe those affected by ME deserve a better future. Please vote for us.

If you want to vote for this cause click the "Vote" button or vote by text using the detail below. If you prefer post see terms and conditions for more information. You can vote for as many causes as you like but you may only vote once for each.

Last edited:

charles shepherd

The four ME/CFS charities involved this year - Action for ME, Invest in ME, MERUK and MEA - all agreed that we would not compete with each other in any particular month - so we each have a good chance of winning some cash each month.

The MEA has supported and publicised voting for the other charities so far and I hope their members will do the same for the MEA vote this month.

Please note that ALL money raised will be going to biomedical research - nothing on salaries or admin as the Ramsay Research Fund does not employ staff and all the admin costs are covered by MEA general funds

You can vote for where you would like to see the money to go from our list of top research priorities- Rituximab trial, neuroinflammation and post-mortem research or immune dysfunction research - in our May website poll on the home page of the MEA website: www.meassociation.org.uk

charles shepherd

Many thanks to everyone who has voted today
We've got off to a cracking start with just over 350 votes in the first 24 hours
The MEA is still in first place but those in second and third are catching up fast

So please vote if you haven't already done so and share the Facebook link with friends, colleagues and relatives
You can also vote by texting if you prefer: BIG BREAK 0381 to 78866