• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Review of IACFS/ME Conference: MEA Charles Shepherd

Sasha

Fine, thank you

This looks terrific but even at full screen it's too small for me to read without eye strain. Is there any way to print it off?

Sasha. To increase screen size - click the page tool (white square to the left of the full screen tool) , - and + tools will then appear in the tool bar (lower right of the ME Essential pane), size goes really large if you need it. If you hit the page tool while in Full Screen - the tool bar appears at the top middle of the page and you get a drag tool (nausea inducing effect for some !) to adjust size.

To print depends on your browser - in I.E just go to File (top far left) and choose print.

Last edited:

Firestormm

This looks terrific but even at full screen it's too small for me to read without eye strain. Is there any way to print it off?

On my PC I click the double arrow buttom. It expands the view. Then I can roll my mouse wheel to zoom even more. You can then move around the expanded page. Take a bit of getting used to I suppose - but last night I found it was working fine. Then I do have a larger monitor now.

Others on MEA Facebook have also said it works well on Android, and mobile devices (though I don't know what the heck they are all on about!). Just a case of playing with it (though as a boy I am probably good at that ROFL)

I don't think it can be downloaded though - despite what the announcement says. At least I haven't found a way of doing it yet...

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Sasha. To increase screen size - click the page tool (white square to the left of the full screen tool) , - and + tools will then appear in the tool bar (lower right of the ME Essential pane), size goes really large if you need it. If you hit the page tool while in Full Screen - the tool bar appears at the top middle of the page and you get a drag tool (nausea inducing effect for some !) to adjust size.

To print depends on your browser - in I.E just go to File (top far left) and choose print.

Ah! Thanks. So I clicked on the second icon from the right that looks like two rectangles and the image came up gigantic - and I can now click and drag the image.

Brilliant! Thanks. I'll try out that print thing too.

Nielk

What does "degranuation" mean in respect to natural killer cells? (Teilah Huth p.6)

Firestormm

OK. Here's how to download the application/document/summary to your desktop. Hit the link and locate the 'SHARE' button (in red circled). Click that. You have to 'log-in' with Facebook or join ISSU. Then you can open the summary in PDF and read it, or Save it to your desktop/wherever.

MEA.jpg

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Do you know if they're planning to mail out a print version, @Firestormm? The columned version isn't ideal to read onscreen at a large size.

I appreciate this is a first for them though! I appreciate them producing this.

charles shepherd

Or:

TO DOWNLOAD A PDF, ‘Click to read’ and then, when the supplement is loaded, choose the full screen option (the ‘diagonal arrows’ tool). Then click on the download tool at the top of the screen (it’s just to the left of the cross which closes the file).
Sorry people are having problems downloading and printing - I have just followed this guidance from the MEA website and now have a copy I can print

charles shepherd

Dr Cindy Bateman, one of the conference speakers, has sent me a nice message about the report and given me a link to a video of a presentation she gave on highlights from the conference. It's a really clear and helpful add-on to the report I have produced and can be viewed here:

Simon

What does "degranuation" mean in respect to natural killer cells? (Teilah Huth p.6)
It's bad news if you are a rogue or infected cell :devil:
My immunology course characterised Natural Killer cells as the elite Seals of the immune army: degranulation is them unleashing their armoury of killer molecules. More technically, it means releasing the granules from within the Natural Killer cells of perforin (makes a pore in the target cell membrane, much like stabbing it) and granzymes, which basically force the target cell to self-destruct (apoptosis). Not nice, but then they do what it says on the tin.
Degranulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nielk

It's bad news if you are a rogue or infected cell :devil:
My immunology course characterised Natural Killer cells as the elite Seals of the immune army: degranulation is them unleashing their armoury of killer molecules. More technically, it means releasing the granules from within the Natural Killer cells of perforin (makes a pore in the target cell membrane, much like stabbing it) and granzymes, which basically force the target cell to self-destruct (apoptosis). Not nice, but then they do what it says on the tin.
Degranulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, if this degranulation happens it could account for low nk cell function?

Simon

So, if this degranulation happens it could account for low nk cell function?
I'm not quite sure what the context is. As I understand it, nk cell function is measuring the ability to of nk cells to lyse (kill) target cells by degranulation. This isn't a one-off step ie they can recharge and degranulate again but if they've all just degranulated before function is tested I guess it could do that. But really, I'm out of my depth here: it would depend on how the nk function test worked and how the sample was taken.

charles shepherd

One important follow up to the IACFS/ME conference presentations and discussions is to get a replication study organised to see if another independent group can repeat the PET scan findings from Japan relating to neuroinflammation - see the San Francisco conference report.

You can help fund biomedical research here in the UK by voting for the MEA in the contest below and neuroinflammation is one of the high priority areas identified for future MEA research funding..

The MEA Ramsay Research Fund does not have any salaries to pay and all admin is covered by MEA general funds. So all money raised for research goes to research related activities

You can vote for biomedical research via the website link to the contest:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...ey-into-mecfs-biomedical-research-1-may-2014/

Sasha

Fine, thank you
One important follow up to the IACFS/ME conference presentations and discussions is to get a replication study organised to see if another independent group can repeat the PET scan findings from Japan relating to neuroinflammation - see the San Francisco conference report.

You can help fund biomedical research here in the UK by voting for the MEA in the contest below and neuroinflammation is one of the high priority areas identified for future MEA research funding..

The MEA Ramsay Research Fund does not have any salaries to pay and all admin is covered by MEA general funds. So all money raised for research goes to research related activities

You can vote for biomedical research via the website link to the contest:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...ey-into-mecfs-biomedical-research-1-may-2014/

Thanks for the link, Dr Shepherd - I just voted and hope everyone else will. The MEA has a long record of funding biomedical research and if we want more of it - especially to follow up the exciting findings of the IACFS/ME conference - we need to pay for it, and the least we can do is click a few buttons to get some FREE MONEY!