• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which glutathione?

Cheesus

Hi folks,

I am slowly bulking out my supplement regime and I am coming to glutathione. I have had a look about and it seems the best bet is to take the constituents; to take liposomal or acetyl glutathione; or possibly as a mouth spray/transdermal. I am trying to reduce the number of pills I am taking for the sake of my gut, either a single pill or preferably transdermal/spray would be best.

Does anyone know a good product? I am wary of manufacturers I don't know but a good recommendation goes a long way.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
the following is from @kyzcreig in reply to a post I made recently.

Have you tried a topical glutathione supplement? I'm using both S-Acetyl-Glutathione and a topical cream and find they dramatically reduce my symptoms. The regular reduced glutathione oral supplements do nothing for me however. Frankly, I'm not sure about SAG yet but I'm going to keep taking it until I run out. The cream is noticeably effective.

Here's a write up on glutathione recycling and what you can do about it:
http://thyroidbook.com/blog/glutathione-recycling-for-autoimmune-disease/
Here's one about leaky gut specifically.
http://sanjosefuncmed.com/intestinal-permeability-clinical-unwinding-leaky-gut/
At least in my case simply eliminating foods and taking antimicrobials hasn't cured my gut symptoms, so I plan to follow this protocol next.

The following is a comprehensive supplement for glutathione recycling: http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/glutathione-recycler-K57-90-p-apex-energetics.html
I'm planning on taking each component individually however and seeing what I have success with

Cheesus

Thanks @maryb

What glutathione cream do you use? And where do you get it? Transdermal is perfect for me.

I am also having a look into this recycler :) thanks

kyzcreig

@maryb
this website sure is fancy
@kyzcreig what creams are you using (percentage, carrier, any URL or weblink)? Thanks
I was using Kirkman for a while until I found the slightly cheaper Swanson product.
http://www.amazon.com/L-Glutathione-Cream-Setria-59/dp/B0091QY1OU
http://www.amazon.com/Reduced-L-Glutathione-Lotion-2-oz/dp/B004PLTCVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398557312&sr=8-1&keywords=kirkman glutathione

Kirkman might be a bit more effective but not much more enough to justify the cost.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
just wondering any way to measure levels of glutathione on its own?

Cheesus

Did you notice it helping you?

@kyzcreig That Swanson one is a lot cheaper! It is marketed as anti-wrinkle cream that I can see... you think that the Kirkman one, which I guess is intended for glutathione levels, knows something Swanson doesn't? It's £14 vs £35 that I have seen! A big difference indeed...

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I was taking it along with other things to aid during DMPS chelations I can't tell you one way or another. That was in about 2007 so I'm sure there are others since then.

Cheesus

I was taking it along with other things to aid during DMPS chelations I can't tell you one way or another. That was in about 2007 so I'm sure there are others since then.

I will factor it into my computations :)

Every time I see your cat I just want to give it a big hug!

kyzcreig

Did you notice it helping you?

@kyzcreig That Swanson one is a lot cheaper! It is marketed as anti-wrinkle cream that I can see... you think that the Kirkman one, which I guess is intended for glutathione levels, knows something Swanson doesn't? It's £14 vs £35 that I have seen! A big difference indeed...
Kirkman is big on purity and hypoallergenics. I'm not sure Swanson is as stringent. Naturally those costs are passed on to the consumer. I find using a little bigger dab of Swanson's cream is about as effective as using Kirkman.

I've used liposomal oral supplements in the past but they generally evinced a negative reaction, so I switched over to transdermals. I'm glad I did.

Edit: Missed the first question. Yes, it helped and helps me tremendously. It dramatically improves my quality of sleep. In fact it was so effective it's why I started researching the metabolic angle of CFS, which seems to correspond with my experiences (idiopathic mercury accumulation, benefiting from the ONOO protocol, etc.) convincingly.
Edit2: The following is a short write up of how I'm approaching this:
http://sanjosefuncmed.com/autoimmune-disease-u-s-part-6-6-part-series/

B12 and methylation are popular on these forums but I'm skeptical that will help me. Nevertheless I'm going to get tested (anyone have any lab recommendations?) and then decide whether to discontinue glutathione, which is necessary for committing to Freddd's protocol.

Last edited:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Helen
thanks for the link I'll keep it. I've just had it done but will re-check in a few months after trying to supplement it.

@caledonia
I'm not doing methylation just going off my blood test which showed low glutathione, would you think it still necessary to take niacin (NAD) if I tried transdermal glutathione?

kyzcreig

@maryb I take copious amounts of niacin daily (2-3 grams). It seems to help but it needs to be balanced out with other Bs, like biotin, otherwise you'll end of with a deficiency.

Niacin supports the gluathione recycling system.

Cheesus

I already take NADH as part of Myhill's protocol. I was wanting to use glutathione as it is mentioned in her new book and I am trying to get most of her protocol in place. I don't want to inadvertently start a methylation protocol, however! I am in danger of running into a heavy detox here?

caledonia

@Helen
thanks for the link I'll keep it. I've just had it done but will re-check in a few months after trying to supplement it.

@caledonia
I'm not doing methylation just going off my blood test which showed low glutathione, would you think it still necessary to take niacin (NAD) if I tried transdermal glutathione?

Yes, I think so. It's still glutathione no matter how it gets into your body.

caledonia

I already take NADH as part of Myhill's protocol. I was wanting to use glutathione as it is mentioned in her new book and I am trying to get most of her protocol in place. I don't want to inadvertently start a methylation protocol, however! I am in danger of running into a heavy detox here?

Techically speaking, when you take glutathione, you're not doing methylation, you're actually skipping over all the steps in the methylation cycle and taking one of the end products directly.

But anyway, glutathione is the body's main detoxifier. So yes, you might want to take it easy with the glutathione.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I found Jarrow reduced glutathione to be the best. Also nutricology NAC enhanced antioxidant formula supplement boosts glutathione levels well. It is cheapest at pureformulas.com.

Lifewave has a glutathione patch. I haven't tried it though because a months worth is expensive.

Last edited: