• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplements that fix Blood-Brain-Barrier/Gut

Violeta

Is it? Where did you read that? In any case, anything bifidogenic will cause LPS.

Vegas. It's in message #41 in the sulfite/sulfate ammonia thread in the methylation forum.

He said magnesium is bifidogenic, too, if I remember correctly. The thing about magnesium is that it's a calcium channel blocker. Intracellular calcium is needed in order for LPS to cause degranulation, so the magnesium brings a protective mode with it.

A calcium signal is essential for degranulation, generation of eicosanoids and optimal production of cytokines in mast cells in response to antigen and other stimulants.

Through it's calcium channel blocking, luteolin protects against LPS induced damage. I'll get one now that shows that magnesium does the same thing.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11897650

Magnesium as a calcium channel blocker should do what luteolin does.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3300911

Maybe B2 brings a protective mode with it, too, I don't know.

Another one that he said is bifidogenic is pantothenic acid. I don't know how that would affect the stew, though.

Last edited:

Violeta

The only other way I can think of would be to supplement the butyrate directly. I don't know how that would work though. When I tried it, years back, I got a massive allergic reaction, almost akin to an anaphylactic shock, no idea why.

Can you eat butter?

Wayne

I ran across a website many years ago maintained by a Methodist minister who strongly believed that the anti-oxidant Oligomeric Proanthocyanidins (OPCs) had a unique ability to heal the blood brain barrier, and in turn, significantly improve symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis. He believed blueberries was one of the best foods for this, as it was very high in OPCs. The following is a link to a book that discusses the role of anti-oxidants (and OPCs) in healing the blood brain barrier.

Managing Multiple Sclerosis Naturally: A Self-help Guide to Living with MS

Blueberries is one of my favorite foods, and I look forward every year to them coming into season. During this time, I do a modified partial fast of mostly blueberries and fermented raw goat kefir. Watermelon is also a part of my diet during this time. It usually leads me to feeling better than most other times of the year.

Last edited:
I believe I have intestinal permiability as well as a leaky blood brain barrier. what are some things to help fix this?

I have been considering benfotiamine and high dose vitamin d. I have tried l-glutamine in the past but I cannot tolerate any glutamates at all. I have tried probiotics with no effect for years.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Some genetic problems can be compensated for. I don't know about this one. Maybe someone else does.

kyzcreig

I've read that glutathione and glutathione recyclers (vitamin C, ALA) are the best supplements for leaky BBB (as well as omegas). but the cause is usually inflammatory cytokines so you need to ascertain what cytokines you have in prevalence, what might be causing them and strategize how to bring them down in both the long and short term.

Last edited:

kyzcreig

i react terribly to liposomal glutathione and nac. does not feel like it is helping the BBB.
So do I. Commercial liposomal glutathione is packed with preservatives. I have MCS so this countervails any benefits.

You can make your own liposomal glutathione and vitamin c or take SAcetyl glutathione. If you have a glutathione deficiency and methylation problems you could take SAMe to kickstart the process and TMG as an insurance policy against high SAH homocysteine.

NAC has always made me feel wired/bad. Freddd has a theory on this that you can look up.

Glutathione on the other hand, especially in forms with high efficacy have always helped. Topical and IV glutathione seems to work best.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
according to my 23andme results I don't do well with glutathione supps, nor NAC or ALA. Its proved to be right based on my experience of trying these supplements.

PeterPositive

I do agree with not taking zinc. I would work on straightening out the mineral balance between zinc and copper through other methods. Copper issues can mess up manganese, too, but I don't know if taking specific minerals actually brings about the return to balance.
When you say copper issues/copper imbalances, do you mean excess copper? or also low copper? or both?
How would you assess such imbalance? Serum test?

thanks

Violeta

When you say copper issues/copper imbalances, do you mean excess copper? or also low copper? or both?
How would you assess such imbalance? Serum test?

thanks

I had been thinking about copper issues as mainly copper issues, and reading at a copper dysregulation group. I see a lot of people getting HTMA's, blood serum and plasma tests, and RBC tests. Among the people with symptoms, some do get low copper test results and some show high levels. And everyone is trying to figure out exact amounts of specific metals to take to maneuver results. Many people are having a ridiculously difficult time. I am looking for something that makes more sense. For example, healing the adrenals, dealing with possible pathogens to help the immune system while it's still weak, neutralizing acidity, relieving specific vitamin deficiencies, and also relieving mineral deficiencies by using good quality cell salts, chlorella, spirulina, seaweeds, and moringa.

What supplements do you take for leaky brain? I can't find anything and don't know what to do. I'm trying to find a doctor right now but can't find anyone.

acrosstheveil

Propolis, Seacure, Chlorella, Colostrum, Zinc Carnosine, NAG... many things are shown in clinical trials with either humans or animals to help leaky gut. Yes, also probiotics, which never helped me at all, even VSL-3, so studies are not the sacred truth. I am taking Seacure, Colostrum and Propolis and find that they help (colostrum gives me a bit of eczema and acne) along with awfully restricted diet. I will switch to larger dosages with kilograms of chlorella soon though, more is better and capsules cannot compare to tablespoons of whole food.

http://www.clinicalnutritionjournal.com/article/S0261-5614(09)00134-4/abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2731278/

I don´t know about treating the leaky BBB, but I wish I did!

High vit D never did anything for me... despite how promising it looked.

the zinc carnosine seems to be helping a ton! sorry for the late reply, been sick for quite a while now. NAG was no good, flared my Sibo/candida and gave me terrible hemorrhoids. seacure didn't seem to do much. colustrum helps a bit but no cure on it's own. chlorella always makes me feel better. Haven't tried propolis but I'm very sensitive to fructose.

totally forgot about this post and just found it with a duckduckgo search...lol