• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which multi for methylation?

RosieBee

Which multivitamin/ mineral supplement are people using now? I was using Yasko's Neurological Health Formula from Holistic Heal, but that seems to be discontinued. I used Thorne Basic Nutrients V last year, but that seems to be out of stock everywhere.

I am so sensitive to everything it takes me ages to settle down after changes in my supplements, so I am quite nervous about making mistakes in my present muddle-headed state of mind.

Both these were recommended by Rich for people with methylation block - (gosh I really miss Rich). What are people using now - and why did you chose the brand you prefer?

Martial

I am using the thorne stress b complex, seems to work very well.. The folate in it is metafolin form, has some P5P and the bio available form of b2, err well like 25mg of b6 and b2, and 3mg of their bio active forms.. alongside the normal complex stuff.

RosieBee

Thanks @Martial. Yours is specifically B vitamins. I am looking for a supplement with a full range of minerals and vitamins.

I am using the thorne stress b complex, seems to work very well.. The folate in it is metafolin form, has some P5P and the bio available form of b2, err well like 25mg of b6 and b2, and 3mg of their bio active forms.. alongside the normal complex stuff.
Just to clarify for me..... Metafolin is 5MTHF and only that ?

caledonia

I'm using the new Holistic Health All in One multi (replaced the old Neurological Health formula). Caution - once you add some active sublingual B12, it's extremely powerful. I'm only taking 1/64 of one pill, twice a week (a full dose being 6 pills per day), as it's causing metal detox (good, but I need to go very slow).

My other choice is the Thorne Basic Nutrients IV or V.

Once I can get my levels increased enough, my plan is to take a smaller amount of both, instead of the full dose of one or the other, as each one has certain strengths and weaknesses.

If Thorne V is out, there are other Thorne's - I think III is equivalent to V, except it's citrate based. Neither III or V have iron and copper. IV has iron and copper.

adreno

PR activist
Yes @adreno, I used Thorne Basic Nutrients V last year (recommended by Rich) but it seems to be out of stock at the moment. Can you recommend one of the others in the Thorne Research range to go with methylation block?
Right, Caledonia already described your options. Depending on your iron levels you can decide which one is best. If you are still menstruating a little iron might not be bad. Otherwise I would probably go without.

RosieBee

Thorne III and IV seem to be in stock; Pure encapsulations looks a bit expensive. Thanks for the recommendations and helpful information.

acer2000

The Pure stuff is fine. I notice a slight difference if I don't take it. It's not earth shattering.

Adlyfrost

I'm using the new Holistic Health All in One multi (replaced the old Neurological Health formula). Caution - once you add some active sublingual B12, it's extremely powerful. I'm only taking 1/64 of one pill, twice a week (a full dose being 6 pills per day), as it's causing metal detox (good, but I need to go very slow).

My other choice is the Thorne Basic Nutrients IV or V.

Once I can get my levels increased enough, my plan is to take a smaller amount of both, instead of the full dose of one or the other, as each one has certain strengths and weaknesses.

If Thorne V is out, there are other Thorne's - I think III is equivalent to V, except it's citrate based. Neither III or V have iron and copper. IV has iron and copper.

Hi @caledonia. Just ordered the All in one. I am not on any B12 or methylfolate yet and thought All in one might be a good way to start low in getting those nutrients in a balanced way that would not create detox side-effects. Also trying to load up on taurine and magnesium and (through diet only), potassium.

Q: Is the All in one powerful by itself? How are you doing on it now? Asking because I am super sensitive to everything. Thanks.

caledonia

Hi @caledonia. Just ordered the All in one. I am not on any B12 or methylfolate yet and thought All in one might be a good way to start low in getting those nutrients in a balanced way that would not create detox side-effects. Also trying to load up on taurine and magnesium and (through diet only), potassium.

Q: Is the All in one powerful by itself? How are you doing on it now? Asking because I am super sensitive to everything. Thanks.

I'm still doing well on the All In One. I'm still taking a very tiny dose - 1/64 of one capsule, 2 days a week. Still detoxing metals. My mercury is out, and now I seem to be working on lead.

I'm on such a small dose of the All in One, that even though it contains minerals and other co-factors you might need, it was too low to fulfill my requirements. So I've added a multi mineral formula to compensate.

If you don't take sublingual B12 with the All In One, you won't have enough B12 to methylate - it will be unbalanced because the B12 in it is oral. It only absorbs 1-2%, so I basically don't count any B12 that is oral.

So the All In One probably won't appear to be doing much of anything, (if you take it by itself). Or you may methylate a little, but you will be using up your B12 stores to do it, which will eventually put you in a B12 deficiency state. This happened to me when I was taking a Thorne multi, which has methylfolate and oral B12 in it. At that time, I didn't know about taking sublingual B12. Years later, I'm still trying to dig out from this.

Also, I tried getting potassium through my diet, per my doc, but it was impossible to do. I'm doing better now that I've added potassium supplementation. This was a big roadblock for me, and once I got that fixed, all kinds of good things started to happen.

Adlyfrost

I'm still doing well on the All In One. I'm still taking a very tiny dose - 1/64 of one capsule, 2 days a week. Still detoxing metals. My mercury is out, and now I seem to be working on lead.

I'm on such a small dose of the All in One, that even though it contains minerals and other co-factors you might need, it was too low to fulfill my requirements. So I've added a multi mineral formula to compensate.

So the All In One probably won't appear to be doing much of anything, (if you take it by itself). Or you may methylate a little, but you will be using up your B12 stores to do it, which will eventually put you in a B12 deficiency state. This happened to me when I was taking a Thorne multi, which has methylfolate and oral B12 in it. At that time, I didn't know about taking sublingual B12. Years later, I'm still trying to dig out from this.

Also, I tried getting potassium through my diet, per my doc, but it was impossible to do. I'm doing better now that I've added potassium supplementation. This was a big roadblock for me, and once I got that fixed, all kinds of good things started to happen.

Ok thanks Caledonia for the warning and other info. Started sublingual B12 today to correct iron deficiency so I will go very slow on multi!

Sorry to hear about all the heavy metal problems. I hope you get those worked out soon. Though haven't been tested, worried about lead also from bone broths (animals store lead in bones) and hence, cautiously trying to raise iron to prevent lead accumulation.

Great news about the K! Low K is my biggest fear in taking methylfolate and sblB12 together. The problem is that I get panic attacks from potassium supplements or when I sprinkle potassium chloride on food. I have heard from so many other people also that potassium from K-rich food wasn't enough to counter low K.

I am afraid intolerance to K supplements may a big block to successful methylation. So I am experimenting with taurine. I heard it helps facilitate ion transport. I have my doubts it will work in conserving mineral reserves though, or else someone else might have posted about it.

Multi-mineral sounds like a good idea. Perhaps it would ameliorate panic attacks if taken with K supplements?Which multi mineral are you using may I ask?

caledonia

Ok thanks Caledonia for the warning and other info. Started sublingual B12 today to correct iron deficiency so I will go very slow on multi!

Sorry to hear about all the heavy metal problems. I hope you get those worked out soon. Though haven't been tested, worried about lead also from bone broths (animals store lead in bones) and hence, cautiously trying to raise iron to prevent lead accumulation.

Great news about the K! Low K is my biggest fear in taking methylfolate and sblB12 together. The problem is that I get panic attacks from potassium supplements or when I sprinkle potassium chloride on food. I have heard from so many other people also that potassium from K-rich food wasn't enough to counter low K.

I am afraid intolerance to K supplements may a big block to successful methylation. So I am experimenting with taurine. I heard it helps facilitate ion transport. I have my doubts it will work in conserving mineral reserves though, or else someone else might have posted about it.

Multi-mineral sounds like a good idea. Perhaps it would ameliorate panic attacks if taken with K supplements?Which multi mineral are you using may I ask?

Thorne Pic-Mins
http://www.iherb.com/thorne-research-pic-mins-90-veggie-caps/18507
http://www.iherb.com/thorne-research-pic-mins-90-veggie-caps/18507
I just did a quick search on potassium and anxiety. When you take potassium, you may actually be unmasking a magnesium deficiency and that's what's causing the anxiety. Magnesium and potassium work together and need to be in balance. So you might have to take mag and potass together.

It's very common for ME/CFS patients to need to supplement electrolytes due to weak adrenals. The adrenals' role is to maintain fluid balance and electrolyte balance. If they're not working well, you'll be leaking out electrolytes like crazy.

When my adrenals were really bad, I did potassium, magnesium and sodium, and vitamin C with ribose. Now that my adrenals are somewhat better I'm doing potassium, about half the amount of magnesium and no sodium, vitamin c or ribose.

I take them as powder dissolved in water and do that four times a day. This is similar to Ben Lynch's MTHFRaide.

Or you possibly could have been getting too much potassium as that can also cause anxiety. Or possibly potassium chloride may not be the best form for you, and another form could be better.

The best test I've found so far to figure out what minerals you're low in is the Doctors Data Urine Essential Elements. If you do a blood test for potassium it won't test what's actually in your cells. So your test can look normal, while you're actually deficient. You can't get a magnesium test from a regular doc - I imagine it would have the same problem anyway.

The Doctors Data test will show what's actually in your cells. Mine had deficiencies almost across the board, so that's why I added the Pic Mins along with my electrolyte supplementation. The Pic-Mins don't have magesium or potassium. I selected that one on purpose so I could add my own personal dose of magnesium and potassium separately.

Also magnesium is a co-factor in methylation and many other reactions in the body, so a deficiency there could be another roadblock.

Adlyfrost

Thanks for all that information!!!! I already take magnesium several times a day but I think it would be a good idea to take it with potassium. Thanks also for the test and supplement info!