• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potassium supplementation? Please help!

Moshi

Hi! I need help!

I am experiencing extreme muscle weakness, my legs feel like jelly and my arms are weak too. I had a real problem with these symptoms like 4-5 months ago but it got a lot better, but now it's back again, worse than before, feel like my knees are going to give in.....and when going to bed my legs are " restless"...

I'm on methylation supps since almost 8 months, currently on about 3mg Mefolate, 3mg MeCbl and 4mg AdCbl.

I take 600-700 mg potassium gluconate daily.

Recently I have started on adrenal glandulars (introduced slowly) and 25mg DHEA. I cannot bring to mind any other recent changes that may have had an influence....

I am contemplating upping the potassium but very scared of hyperkalemia and its possibly fatal consequences....
However, I had labwork only 3 months ago showing sodium in the higher normal range, and potassium in the mid-normal range (Even though I was supplementing potassium with 600mg-1g/daily). Perhaps I should not be scared of hyperkalemia, but its confusing since the symptoms seem to be similar for both hypo- and hyperkalemia...!?

And I have diagnosed myself with weak adrenals (I have all the signs and symptoms) and from what I read people with weak/fatigued/insufficient adrenals are sensitive to potassium??

I need to figure out why my legs are so weak again! Please help if you can!

Moshi

Thanks PeterPositive! That's reassuring.....has anyone here experiences this extreme weakness in the legs? And if so, what helped?

girlfromeurope

I have adrenal fatigue too.
I think taking 600 mg potassium is safe.
But I experience hyperkalemia sometimes if I take too much potassium. But my salt level is always on the low side.
So I can overdose potassium quickly because of my adrenal problem.
You can try to up your dose but be careful.

helen1

Hi @Moshi
I had the same symptoms as you and for me the solution has been to take a lot more methylfolate. a lot of us experience not just potassium needs with methylation but significant increases in mfolate.

I've slowly increased my mfolate from 700 mcg to between 2000-7000 mcg depending on those symptoms. I no longer get the jelly legs and heavy arms feeling.

still get restless legs sometimes though and magnesium really works for me for that (between 200-600 magn citrate).

best wishes.

Moshi

Girlfromeurope - what symptoms do you experience when you've had too much potassium?
Re:your adrenal issues, how are you treating them? ACE?

Helen1- I appreciate your reply, thanks! I will try to increase my methylfolate and see what happens....its so scary when this increadible weakness sets in....

PeterPositive

Thanks PeterPositive! That's reassuring.....has anyone here experiences this extreme weakness in the legs? And if so, what helped?
Magnesium foot baths or Mg oil directly rubbed on my legs.
B vitamins too. I am not sure if there's one in particular as I usually take a B complex + extra folate and B12 because of the mthfr/mtrr mutations.

Hip

The virus I caught that triggered my ME/CFS also caused me to develop weak legs. My hunch is that this leg weakness is due to a mild form of polymyositis.

Polymyositis generally affects the thigh and pelvic girdle muscles to begin with, but then progress to all the proximal muscles (the proximal muscles are the ones in your arms and legs nearest to the body). In polymyositis an autoimmune process takes place in which T cells attack the muscle tissue.

Polymyositis is classed as a chronic inflammatory myopathy disease, and has been linked to coxsackievirus B, as well as parvovirus B19 infections, HIV and HTLV-I.

Last edited:

girlfromeurope

Girlfromeurope - what symptoms do you experience when you've had too much potassium?
Re:your adrenal issues, how are you treating them? ACE?

Helen1- I appreciate your reply, thanks! I will try to increase my methylfolate and see what happens....its so scary when this increadible weakness sets in....
It actually feels quite the same as low potassium. Palpitations, depression, muscle spasms, brain fog,..
But I know I have too much because if I take more I start to feel worse and worse.

caledonia

It's best to have an adrenal saliva test first with verified adrenal fatigue before you start messing with adrenal glandulars.

Is your B12 sublingual or injection or is it taken orally?

600-700mg potass gluconate isn't much. As an example, I'm taking 1620mg per day with much much less B12 and methylfolate (in the 20mcg range). I dose one quarter of that amount four times a day for better absorption.

If your adrenals are weak, they will be unable to hold onto electrolytes properly, therefore, sodium, magnesium and potassium could all be leaking out and needing supplementation. This is on top of the extra potassium needed for cell rebuilding due to healing restarted by methylation.

Try reading "Start Low and Go Slow" and "Roadblocks to Successful Methylation" in my signature links for more ideas on how to debug your problems.

Low Potassium has been a constant battle for me too. It's the one thing that routinely shows up on my tests (but it's only just below the reference range and often overlooked). But I hear you on the weak legs. If you are taking an adrenal supplement, be mindful of Liquorice ( often included) as it can knock back potassium.

B12 is making the most difference right now to the legs (not potassium supplementation). But I'll be watching this thread because I'm hoping to start methylation an will have to be super cognizant of potassium.

PeterPositive

B12 is making the most difference right now to the legs (not potassium supplementation). But I'll be watching this thread because I'm hoping to start methylation an will have to be super cognizant of potassium.
Meaning that additional B12 helps relieving the weak legs problem?

Meaning that additional B12 helps relieving the weak legs problem?

@PeterPositive - yes, which of course makes me question whether the legs issue was ever potassium-related at all or just a correlation I drew--being as I have so few "leads" after so many tests. I am waiting for 23andMe results right now so soon I might know a bit more about what's goin' on. B12 (sublingual spray) was the first thing that made any difference to me at all and was actually what led my to Phoenix Rising in the first place when after I started it quite by chance and it helped.

Moshi

Thanks for all replies, well my weak legs-syndrome has subsided once again it seems....I didn't change anything, kept taking the same amount of potassium, Mfolate, MB12 and just waited.... I'm thinking that the jelly legs/ hole in the head - feelings are just detox/healing reactions that come and go....I dunno.

Thanks for all replies, well my weak legs-syndrome has subsided once again it seems....I didn't change anything, kept taking the same amount of potassium, Mfolate, MB12 and just waited.... I'm thinking that the jelly legs/ hole in the head - feelings are just detox/healing reactions that come and go....I dunno.

Weird question, but do you find your symptoms line up with a certain point in your monthly cycle? I have major fluctuations in leg and sometimes even arm strength that seem to follow that pattern. I'm not implying that is causing the problem but it might really exacerbate it, as it does in my case.

Moshi

SqidProQuo- interesting suggestion...however in my case I don't think so....
My most recent addition to my wide array of ME symtoms is a numb feeling in my left leg, sort of partial paralysis, I have browsed this forum and I understand these things are very typical for ME. I saw a neurologist just a few weeks ago, he did a quick "manual" exam on me and I got the thumbs up, although I may be referred for a MRI too.
I have PSP/ALS in my family and I am very scared about progressing down that path of neurological decline.
If I were to guess right now I would put down my increased neurological symptoms due to increased detox...I am pushing things a bit hard right now, detoxing from left to right, top to bottom....chelating too....
Perhaps I should try to slow down a bit.....

RYO

I have had similar symptoms for 2 years. MRI of legs, muscle biopsy, and NCS all normal. I have tried multiple supplements without improvement. I got 50 % better after 6 months of betaseron but I recently had relapse after bout of viral gastroenteritis. My biggest question is whether symptoms are caused by chronic viral infection (ie enterovirus) or autoimmune reponse. My sed rate, ANA, and CRP all normal. It is extremely frustrating to lose your life to this illness.

Recently, I started trial of combination therapy with equilabrant, red marine algae, and nigella sativa oil.

I am considering SC IVIG but it can have serious side effects.

Moshi

OMG, I am really scared now. After seeing modest but steady improvement during the last months I now have serious neuropathy in my legs! I am suspecting That I have brought this on by pushing detox+antioxidants a bit too hard....and now this may have caused a permanent damage...? Has anyone here experienced temporary leg neuropathy that has improved? Please give me hope!

ahmo

Moshi, it's possible you're experiencing 'donut hole insufficiency' re the amount of Mfolate you're taking. Once healing starts, it happens in layers. Often nervous system can awaken and first symptom might be v unpleasant, like pins and needles, other pains. You're on 3mg Mefolate, 3mg MeCbl and 4mg AdCbl. How about L-Carnitine Fumarate, the 4the component of 'Deadlock Quartet"? First link below is a great simplified FAQ.

http://howirecovered.com/active-b12-therapy-faq/

"In this post this is a list of symptoms that are mine, and others experience of these nutritional items in relieving their symptoms..."
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...uartet-and-other-nutrients.27482/#post-421506

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...t-hole-insufficiency.22614/page-2#post-345537

And here something re methylation/folate symptoms:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/the-stages-of-methylation-and-healing.21725/page-10

Moshi

Ahmo, I appreciate your reply + links, I am trying to convince myself that this horrible spell is just temporary and not the beginning of serious neurological decline. At the moment I am feeling like I've been given an epidural that is beginning to wear off... (Girls, know what I mean?)
I have been reading this forum for well over a year, trying to understand methylation, yet it is all a bit of an enigma to me, I find it difficult to grasp the meaning of "doghnut hole insufficiency" etc, even though I've read these threads over and over again....*sigh*
Currently I am taking; 3,5-4mg MeFolate, 2 mg MeCbl, 4 mg AdCbl, 700mg Alcar Fumarate, 400mg SAMe, 30mg CoQ10, 700mg Potassium, 20mg Zinc, 1,2g magnesium malate, 2mg litium orotate, 3mg vit C....etc etc etc
I have also been taking TMG liquid 500 mg but not as regularly lately....have skipped quite a few days....could this possibly have had an (negative) impact....???