• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

Gestalt

@123pdeme
Also I want to add that I have struggled with large amounts of mucous in my nose as well ever since a young teenager. I believe this came from an overactive immune system and subsequent allergy response due to a compromised and leaky gut.

When I first took Candex and began removing the candida fungus from my gut my nose cleared up overnight! I wake up now and I can breathe clearly through my nose!! Also large dose Resistant Starch has had a similar effect in helping reduce nasal pathway mucous.

It all comes down to fixing leaky gut and that is done best with large dose prebiotics and strains of bacteria that create SCFA's like butyrate which causes the junctions between gut cells to tighten and prevent leaky gut which in turn calms the immune system since it's not on overdrive trying to clean up all the stuff coming through.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Here's what I want to ask though. Where can I get Turmeric powder in the UK which doesn't have heavy metal contaminents such as Lead, or can you suggest any brand of Turmeric? I see plenty that say USDA certified, but anyone can stick a label on a bunch of Turmeric powder. Also I've read the colour should be bright yellow and not deep orange, which denotes the quality. I've read that plenty of spices from the far east can contain lead contamination.
I just did an ebay search for 'turmeric root' and got 74 hits from UK sellers. Some is whole root, some is capsules and some is powder (including some said to be organic). Or you could try an Indian shop if you have any local.

You should be relatively safe with whole root.

Thanks for all the responses to my earlier post, much appreciated and I'm grateful to you all. I've found organic Turmeric from USA and UK sources >

UK Source :

USDA 100% Certified >

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Organic-Haridra-Turmeric-Inflammation-Certified/dp/B008GZ2HTS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1396048448&sr=8-6&keywords=turmeric organic

I checked this out and the company has a website >

http://www.gopalaayurveda.com/

"Gopala is not simply organic, which means to be free from any chemicals, pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, artificial additives, preservatives, and heavy metals, but we are 100% Certified Organic, meaning that the customer has the added security of the USDA regulatory action which requires that all ingredients in all products be traceable through their processing history and to the place of origin. Consequently, the consumer may know both exactly where and when each herb came from and the circumstances surrounding this journey to their hands. Gopala is unique in this regard. Other manufacturers, having claimed proprietary rights to ancient formulae have taken the liberties of enhancing these revered concoctions with preservatives, synthetic substitutes, and more. We, however, continue this venerable tradition as it has been maintained for thousands of years, in the sole interest of a whole and healthy life".

I also found some interesting products such as this one >

http://www.gopalaayurveda.com/store/products/gopala-brahmi-rasayana/

Brahmi can refer to Gotu Kola or Bacopa, entirely different plant species. I've had some success with Bacopa powder in the past, but my obvious paranoia prevented me from consuming it regularly. Gotu Kola has some very limited studies suggesting it can help with anxiety.

In fact they list a Brahmi product which consists of both Bacopa and Gotu Kola >

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gotukola-Nourisher-Centella-Asiatica-Certified/dp/B008GZ2K40/ref=sr_1_2?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1396048883&sr=1-2&keywords=Gopala Organic

I find Bacopa to have powerful memory enhancing effects and can lift brain fog. I may investigate taking the combination in the direct link above.

USA Source :

This clearly states it's free of pesticides, heavy metals and microbil content (whatever that is)

http://www.turmericpowder.net/

I hope this information is worthwhile and any feedback positive or negative is most welcome.

Last edited:
Wow, OP this has calmed my nerves. Thank you for sharing.

That's awesome. Really happy for you, I hope you continue to improve :)

I'm currently taking Turmeric, Flax Oil and Hemp Seed Oil (No CBD or THC). I've been going through some major GAD and things have calmed down a bit recently. My mood is better. I'm going to try the NAG again on the weekend now I'm calmer. One thing though, none of these three things brought any relief to my GAD when it was on max, but maybe they helped heal the imbalances in my body that brought me out of it. I need to do a food diary and work out if I have an food allergies issues. This stuff is difficult. I'm also going to look at a supplement by LEF called Brain Shield which is effectively 300mg of Gastrodin, which is supposed to affect GABA synthesis in the brain via GABA transaminase.

Two caveats, I drank myself under the table two weekends ago, and then a few days later I went to a friend's place whose a heavy smoker, and he smoked cannabis, so I was breathing in that crap. Those two instances will not have helped my condition.

Hi HIP if you're reading, have you any experience with Gastrodin and Hemp Oil (not CBD oil)? Hemp oil is supposed to have a good ratio of Omega 3 to 6, also I've been reading that Flax Oil can contribute to GLA deficiency. I'm also using Hemp Oil externally to see if it can combat the adult onset acne I have.

Love the fact that this forum is here and the support it gives. Also I have a radically different approach to thinking which I learnt from a fine fellow called Tom Cassidy. I posted a link to one of his free courses earlier. It's very simple but it takes practice. It's almost genius though, I can't emphasise how much it can change your thinking, more than CBT, more than any other technique. I won't preach, I'll just say give it a try, learn what 'the script' is the concept of it. When you realise that you're in your script and if you can stay out of it, you can sit back and say hold on a second, what would I choose to do, you don't auto respond to your feelings, you don't listen to the negative talk from yourself or others, you become a freer person. You can't be completely free from 'the script' but once you're aware of it and how it acts, you have a powerful tool in your arsenal, to achieve more in life despite any illness you have.

I'm not giving up on Turmeric, Flax Oil and NAG. About to reintroduce NAG on the weekend. Wish me luck people :)

Lastly HIP, what is your experience on the time of day to take these supplements? I've taken them first thing in the day. I've taken NAG later in the day, when I was in full blown GAD and I wasn't sleeping well at that time. Is it possible any of these supplements can disturb sleep if taken later in the day?

Last edited:

Hip

Yeah I've got to reiterate this has been a pretty effective stack for me. How did you learn about NAG, OP?
I originally tried NAG as I read it has a healing effect on inflamed intestinal mucous membranes. After I started taking NAG, I noticed it had a strong anti-anxiety effect.

Last edited:

Hip

@123pdeme I have not tried hemp oil. Propolis and acetyl-L-carnitine can cause insomnia if taken within 6 hours of going to bed, but otherwise these supplements can be taken anytime.

:zippit:Having a very hard time finding NAG! Looked at tons of sites and they all say it is out do stock. Went to local health food stores and they are out of stock. Talked to a Jarrow rep at one of the stores who just happened to be there for an event on sleep and he said probably they are waiting for raw materials pricing.

Finally found one vitamin site that said it was in stock but when the order arrived today, there was no NAG! :aghhh:eeeeek, this is enough to give someone anxiety. Does anyone have an in stock source in the USA???

and a question for hip...
I looked over your list of successful supplements for anxiety and do not see GABA. Have you experience tested GABA? My husband has lots of anxiety and also essential tremor. He just tried the turmeric with some GABA and his handwriting improved quite a bit. Look forward to the NAG coming so he can try that as well. Can NAG be taken with Gaba and turmeric?
Thanks so much for this thread!

Hip

Have you looked on Google Shopping for N-acetyl-glucosamine?

For most people, GABA does not work as an anti-anxiety supplement, because GABA does not pass through the blood-brain barrier (BBB), and so cannot get into the brain. However, if you find GABA does have a noticeable anti-anxiety effect, it means that you have a leaky BBB (analogous to leaky gut), which allows GABA to get into the brain. For such people with a leaky BBB, GABA can be an effective anti-anxiety treatment.

Hey Hip, thanks for sharing your experience with various supplements. I tried NAG and I still cant decide if its working or if its just placebo, I'm using 1400mg twice a day. I felt like its working for first days, but now I dont notice anything, maybe its tolerance or maybe I just got used to it.

Starfive, search for LifeLink DendroMax, its basically NAG with vitamin D3 and its much cheaper than other brands.

-----

I recently searched what Ayurveda says about brain inflammation, and found out that basically what I call general anxiety is imbalanced vyana vayu (subdosha of vata) and imbalanced Sadhaka Pitta (subdosha of pitta). Here you can read characteristics of all subdoshas: http://quizlet.com/23392624/1-2-subdoshas-flash-cards/

I know this may not be the same for everyone, but I just wanted to share alternative view to our problem ;) I will order some herbs balancing these doshas (still doing research on this) and will report back about results in 2-3 months.

Hip

I tried NAG and I still cant decide if its working or if its just placebo, I'm using 1400mg twice a day. I felt like its working for first days, but now I dont notice anything, maybe its tolerance or maybe I just got used to it.
Try a scientific approach, where you stop NAG for a few days, and observe whether your anxiety worsens; and then take it again for a few days, and observe if your anxiety improves. Repeat this cycle a few times, until you know for sure that it working or not. Otherwise you may be wasting your money.

Good find on the DendroMax NAG, which is considerably cheaper than even the Jarrow NAG.

Try a scientific approach, where you stop NAG for a few days, and observe whether your anxiety worsens; and then take it again for a few days, and observe if your anxiety improves.

I did just that recently. My joints are now sore and my neck is stiff. Also, it seems to have had an effect on my gut. I am now ibs-d wheras before I was ibs-c. Any takers on which is better? The reason I quit NAG is because I'm experimenting with things for possible candida/parasites/sibo/leaky gut, and I read some anecdotal reports about NAG possibly feeding candida. I'm waiting to try MSM and L-glutamine to see if their effects are comparable to NAG.

Hip

My joints are now sore and my neck is stiff. Also, it seems to have had an effect on my gut. I am now ibs-d wheras before I was ibs-c. Any takers on which is better? The reason I quit NAG is because I'm experimenting with things for possible candida/parasites/sibo/leaky gut, and I read some anecdotal reports about NAG possibly feeding candida.

Did those various symptoms arise when you started taking NAG, or after you discontinued?

NAG decreases the Th17 immune response, and Th17 is important in fighting against certain microbes, particularly Candida albicans and Staphylococcus aureus. 1

Although reducing Th17 is actually a good thing in the case of viruses, especially coxsackievirus B, as the Th17 immune response appears to increase coxsackievirus B replication, 1 and the Th17 immune response increases viral persistence. 1

Did those various symptoms arise when you started taking NAG, or after you discontinued?

The symptoms appeared after I discontinued NAG. Looking back, it is not unsurprising that they've returned, seeing as I had the stiff neck and ibs-d right before I started taking NAG for the first time approximately 1½ years ago.

NAG decreases the Th17 immune response, and Th17 is important in fighting against certain microbes, particularly Candida albicans and Staphylococcus aureus. 1

Interesting. So you'd want a strong immune response to Th17 in order to fight candida, is this correct?

Hip

Yes, Th17 is a branch of the immune system (Th1 and Th2 are other branches), and a strongly active Th17 is a branch is important to fight Candida.

Hey Hip, thanks for sharing your experience with various supplements. I tried NAG and I still cant decide if its working or if its just placebo, I'm using 1400mg twice a day. I felt like its working for first days, but now I dont notice anything, maybe its tolerance or maybe I just got used to it.

Starfive, search for LifeLink DendroMax, its basically NAG with vitamin D3 and its much cheaper than other brands.

-----

I recently searched what Ayurveda says about brain inflammation, and found out that basically what I call general anxiety is imbalanced vyana vayu (subdosha of vata) and imbalanced Sadhaka Pitta (subdosha of pitta). Here you can read characteristics of all subdoshas: http://quizlet.com/23392624/1-2-subdoshas-flash-cards/

I know this may not be the same for everyone, but I just wanted to share alternative view to our problem ;) I will order some herbs balancing these doshas (still doing research on this) and will report back about results in 2-3 months.

Thanks for the suggestion firebeastm...will check it out!

Some further observations upon stopping NAG: For a few days now, I have been experiencing something akin to restless legs syndrome. It only happens in my right leg, and it manifests as a kind of pre-stage to cramping, tense but not fully cramping. I feel the need to stretch my leg and ankle all the time, but it's like they won't relax afterwards, like they are full of electricity. Itching, also.

This is interesting to me, seeing as I have not experienced anything of the like when I was taking NAG (the past 16 months). NAG seems to have been quite effective at masking it.
(Edit: Chris Kresser linked to this article, concerning connections between SIBO and restless leg syndrome.)

Last edited:

Lotus97

The possibility that N-acetylglucosamine supplementation exacerbates Lyme disease is something to be on the lookout for. This is of interest:

"We now know that N-Acetyl Glucosamine (NAG) is a food source for the bacteria, and pathologically the Lyme bacteria is often found associated with fibrous tissues, including connective tissue, joints, tendons, and in between the purkinge of the heart fibers (a network of nerves that induce the heart to contract), where NAG is abundant." Source: here.​

This does suggest that there may be a risk to supplementing with NAG in Lyme disease.
Couldn't that also mean the opposite? Maybe people with Lyme are deficient in N-Acetyl Glucosamine (NAG) and have a greater need for the nutrient which could be useful for joint pain (or "Lyme arthritis") due to the illness. Also, this article might be related:
http://www.intechopen.com/books/lym...n-in-borrelia-burgdorferi-is-mediated-by-reca
I don't have the time or brainpower right now to decipher it so if someone else wants to read through it...