• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yikes! Which Rey/Klimas office tomorrow?

November Girl

I am in Miami with a 10:am appointment in the morning. When the appt. was made, I was told it was in the Kendall office. Today, I received an email translation of a message left on my home phone
Hi good afternoon this is Elizabeth calling from nova Southeastern University in the clinic ... We're calling you to remind you of your appointment tomorrow with Doctor Ray at ten am in the morning and i-daily(?) location. Our address is 3424 South University Drive suite thirty four forty. That's Fort Lauderdale Florida three three three two eight.​
Any idea what's going on?? Is this for real, or just their idiot switchboard/message system that doesn't quite get the fact that their affiliated clinic is offsite?

SOC

I am in Miami with a 10:am appointment in the morning. When the appt. was made, I was told it was in the Kendall office. Today, I received an email translation of a message left on my home phone
Hi good afternoon this is Elizabeth calling from nova Southeastern University in the clinic ... We're calling you to remind you of your appointment tomorrow with Doctor Ray at ten am in the morning and i-daily(?) location. Our address is 3424 South University Drive suite thirty four forty. That's Fort Lauderdale Florida three three three two eight.​
Any idea what's going on?? Is this for real, or just their idiot switchboard/message system that doesn't quite get the fact that their affiliated clinic is offsite?

Yikes! I'd trust your appointment more than the idiot message system. Perhaps call at 8:00 am and check...?

November Girl

It turns out that Dr. Rey is spending 2 days at Kendall, and 2 days at the NOVA clinic in Davie. Elizabeth, who works the front desk, is calling people the day before to remind people of their appt, but there doesn't seem to be any effort being made to advise people that their appointment location has been switched. I'll post more about the actual appt in a few days - am very wiped out at the moment.

waiting

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it matters if you book at the Kendall location or the Davie location? Thanks.

November Girl

The Davie location is very close to Ft. Lauderdale airport, so much easier to get to. It's also at the site of the NeuroImmune Institute, though that may not make any difference.

SOC

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it matters if you book at the Kendall location or the Davie location? Thanks.
I've been to both. From a treatment point of view, it makes no difference. Since we have multiple people taking off work to travel to INIM, we like Monday and Friday appts, which means we usually end up at Kendall.

I dislike both Miami and the Miami Airport, though, so I'd rather stick to Ft Lauderdale/Davie if I had a choice.

There's somewhat less walking required at the Davie office, if that matters.

maddietod

I go to the Davie location. I stay at the Marriott Courtyard Plantation; they get me at the airport and take me to Dr. Rey's office, for free (with advance notice). This hotel offers a discount for people going to NOVA for any reason.

I went to Miami for my first visit, before the 2nd office opened. The airport is huge, and Miami traffic is so bad that I almost missed my return flight. There were accidents everywhere.

SOC

I go to the Davie location. I stay at the Marriott Courtyard Plantation; they get me at the airport and take me to Dr. Rey's office, for free (with advance notice). This hotel offers a discount for people going to NOVA for any reason.

I went to Miami for my first visit, before the 2nd office opened. The airport is huge, and Miami traffic is so bad that I almost missed my return flight. There were accidents everywhere.
Do you go in and out of Ft Lauderdale airport, then? Or does the hotel pick you up at Miami Airport?

SOC

I fly into Fort Lauderdale.
Wish I could, your travel arrangements sound like heaven compared to doing the Miami thing. It might even be worth doing a layover somewhere just to get to Ft Lauderdale rather than Miami. Thanks for the tips. :)

maddietod

It's the cheapest and most direct flight for me anyway. Southwest doesn't fly to Miami, but has lots of non-stops to Ft. Lauderdale from Baltimore.

For some reason this isn't on the website: http://www.nova.edu/cwis/bsv/travel/hotels.html It lists all the hotels that offer a NOVA discount. The hotel I use is the one on 6th street.

PM me if you go this route, and I'll tell you all my secrets. Haha, well, what I've learned.

November Girl

I'm so glad to know about the hotel discounts and shuttles. My August appointment is at 3pm. I was hoping to fly in and out on the same day, but I may try to change this and have a layover.
For some reason this isn't on the website: http://www.nova.edu/cwis/bsv/travel/hotels.html It lists all the hotels that offer a NOVA discount. The hotel I use is the one on 6th street.

PM me if you go this route, and I'll tell you all my secrets. Haha, well, what I've learned.

November Girl

I've been on the phone with NOVA a lot this past month. The person on the front desk really seems to know her stuff. At least I assume Kessie is their front desk person. The NOVA office number is (954) 262-2850, at least for the Davie/Ft. Lauderdale location.

SOC

I'm so glad to know about the hotel discounts and shuttles. My August appointment is at 3pm. I was hoping to fly in and out on the same day, but I may try to change this and have a layover.
Dr R was running 3 hours late when we were there, although that hadn't been the case during previous visits. Another patient in the waiting room told me that they often run quite late at INIM these days. Too much going on there, I think. :)

Since your appt is late in the day, I'd count on them being late and not try to fly out the same day. Daughter did the one-day trip once (with an earlier appt than yours) and still managed to catch her flight, but was exhausted. I wouldn't advise it.

November Girl

I hadn't even thought about them running late! I have already been rethinking two 3-hour flights on the same day. It was more wishful thinking than reality. DH was afraid I couldn't handle an overnight stay on my own. I'll spend the money on the hotel; the savings on taxi fares will make up for most of the cost of the hotel anyway.

maddietod

I hadn't even thought about them running late! I have already been rethinking two 3-hour flights on the same day. It was more wishful thinking than reality. DH was afraid I couldn't handle an overnight stay on my own. I'll spend the money on the hotel; the savings on taxi fares will make up for most of the cost of the hotel anyway.

Tell the hotel what time your plane arrives so they can plan the shuttle. Also call them when you arrive or you might wait a long time. Also tell the driver which Plantation you're going to; there are 6 in the area.