• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBS success!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Star, may ask I how much manganese and molydebnum are you taking? I am homozigous CBS c699t and BHMT 08 and it might be possible that I need them.

Star-Anise

Beyond
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you! Been bogged down in figuring out this snp mess I have :)
When I started CBS protocol I took much higher doses of both Molybdenum and Mangenese. I have pasted the following from the beginning of this thread when I was first starting CBS protocol:
  • Within a few days of starting the charcoal procedure I started Molybdenum 150 mcg (I used the Rice Chelated product from New Roots). I started with one tablet, felt even better that day, and then went up to 3 tablets/day for about a week, and concentrated my doses when I ate protein foods. I now am taking one tablet (150mcg) per day, and have seemed to stabilize at that dose. *Update - I find I need to take this dose a couple of times per week now. But I have been eating chocolate, and conveniently did not see this on high thiol list, so I have likely been accumalating again, which would explain my increased dietary sensitivities.

• After about one week of doing this, I added in Manganese, and felt that the positive changes were solidified even more (decreased fatigue, less post-extertional fatigue). I used 5 mg Manganese Bisglycinate (Trophic). I'm taking one per day. *Update: again, I only take this dose a few times per week. I find that I am using Manganese a bit more than the Molybdenum these days especially since I found out Manganese is involved in initiating Kreb's activity; however, I as well am finding that I'm having issues with it because it is related to dopamine production, which I have lots of. It's that never-ending see-saw!
I know that many people have tried CBS protocol & not had success & doubt the merit of Yasko's claims re: CBS & overall impact. I, for one, am a true convert as it has been literally a game changer for me.
All the best, Star :)

RosieBee

I tried reintroducing some sulphur-rich foods and was really ill. I have been following the CBS protocol for some months and found I was gradually getting stronger and brighter than I have been for some considerable time, so I decided to stick with the diet for now.

I found a way to reduce the strong adverse reactions if I ate spinach or cabbage etc by mistake; I figured that if the CBS enzyme was hyperactive and pulling all the nutrients out of the methionine cycle into the trans-sulphuration pathway, producing lots of painful sulphur as a bi-product, if I stopped taking all my nutritional supplements it would reduce the sulphur produced. Bingo! It worked! I still felt poorly, but I did not have the crashing pain in my limbs and horrible fluey feelings.

So now, if I make a mistake I keep off my supplements for at least 24 hrs, but I take molybdenum at regular intervals, because that gets depleted by the sulphur detox. If I have it I take charcoal too to soak up the sulphur/ammonia.

Star-Anise

@RosieBee yes, every so often I try to introduce sulphur in minute forms, say if I'm out & want to have a hamburger which has some garlic in it for example, & I always pay the price with increased anxiety & or always increased post-meal fatigue that can last for a day or two... ;(
On the other side, without the sulphur my health seems to be steadily improving, so in my mind it's worth it :)
As well, there was a recent thread floating around from Freddd that speaks to decreasing B vitamins, due to sulphur component as well, and I have found that has helped too, although, I would imagine my B-vitamin supplementation would fluctuate according to what is going on with my whole health pic....
I'm glad that it sounds like you are finding your way with this problem too... ;)

Christopher

I tried reintroducing some sulphur-rich foods and was really ill. I have been following the CBS protocol for some months and found I was gradually getting stronger and brighter than I have been for some considerable time, so I decided to stick with the diet for now.

I found a way to reduce the strong adverse reactions if I ate spinach or cabbage etc by mistake; I figured that if the CBS enzyme was hyperactive and pulling all the nutrients out of the methionine cycle into the trans-sulphuration pathway, producing lots of painful sulphur as a bi-product, if I stopped taking all my nutritional supplements it would reduce the sulphur produced. Bingo! It worked! I still felt poorly, but I did not have the crashing pain in my limbs and horrible fluey feelings.

So now, if I make a mistake I keep off my supplements for at least 24 hrs, but I take molybdenum at regular intervals, because that gets depleted by the sulphur detox. If I have it I take charcoal too to soak up the sulphur/ammonia.

What diet are you following?

RosieBee

Violeta

I think I found why silica would help with sulfur issues. I have a book by Bernard Jensen called, "The Chemistry of Man". It has a chapter on each of the 12 cell salts. In the chapter on silica it says that silica combines with sulfur. I don't know if what follows is important or not, but I am thinking that if one is deficient in silica, sulfur becomes toxic.

The list of symptoms that silica deficiency is involved in is endless, but I'll see if I can find some that are specific to thiol problems and come back later.

musicchick581

Does 23 and Me test VDR Taq? I can't find that anywhere. I see VDR BSM which I'm hetero for. I'm also homozygous for BHMT 8 and hetero for CBS 360 and COMT 62, COMT158 and COMT rs6269.

Star-Anise

I think I found why silica would help with sulfur issues. I have a book by Bernard Jensen called, "The Chemistry of Man". It has a chapter on each of the 12 cell salts. In the chapter on silica it says that silica combines with sulfur. I don't know if what follows is important or not, but I am thinking that if one is deficient in silica, sulfur becomes toxic.

The list of symptoms that silica deficiency is involved in is endless, but I'll see if I can find some that are specific to thiol problems and come back later.
@Violeta now that is some interesting information, as I have been supplementing with silica as per aluminum removal protocol (which apparently I have a lot of in my body as per hair test), *and* my sulphur issues have been improving!
Star

musicchick581

Is silica safe? My hair analysis showed increased aluminum too but that was all that was increased. My doc still wants an EDTA chelation IV urine test this week. I'm still on the fence. He said hair samples (I had it done two or three years ago) only show metals from the previous 6 months and not buildup in the body.

Star-Anise

@musicchick581 @whodathunkit

Hello! I'm just learning about this stuff, & I'm working with Theresa Vernon (http://www.tvernonlac.com) who is basically a genius when it comes to these things.

She uses the ACZ nano Advanced Cellular Zeolite to detox aluminum.

She also attributes the sensitivity that I experience with sulphur & generally to a lot of other foods & supplements to aluminum toxicity. And as I've been using silica & the zeolite my sensitivity has decreased!

For Silica - it seems that supplementing with it has mixed results. There is a popular leading scientist that is working in the field Dr. Exley (http://www.keele.ac.uk/aluminium/) that is looking at the relationship between silicon and aluminum. He recommends high silica water such as the brandnames Fiji (highest that I have found) and Volvi as @musicchick581 suggests. I have been drinking this water exclusively for the past week now.

From what I can find Dr. Exley says that supplementing with silica doesn't help much with detoxing aluminum & best way is to drink water, but, I have been doing it anyhow. I'm using this product:
http://vitagem.com/products/silica-3/

And my body actually *craves* it.

@musicchick581 - I didn't know about the cucumbers (which is what I have been craving too) but I know iceberg lettuce is high in silica too, which I also crave! LOL:) I haven't seen anything saying silica supplementation is *not* safe. I know I am feeling better...

I'll let everyone know how my retest goes - I plan on getting it at the end of August to see how my detox has been going.

All the very best,

whodathunkit

@Star-Anise: Thanks for the reply! I actually bought some of that zeolite product last week but decided to hold off on chelating again until I'm completely healed from my dental surgery. I don't want siphon off any minerals I may need to heal properly. Looking forward even more to trying it now after reading your success.

What I really wanted to ask was if you're eating the iceberg lettuce and how you're handling that folinic acid...? Or does food sources of folinic acid not bother you?

Also, this about Fiji water, just FYI:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2009/09/fiji-spin-bottle :(

Star-Anise

@whodathunkit yep I can tolerate iceberg lettuce, but not greens - like baby romaine greens & such.
I have upped my methylfolate about 200 mcg recently though with the added veggies because I was starting to get acne, which for me, has become my sign to up my methylfolate.
Fiji water :( (I'll probably still buy it though, :() But get Volvic more often, as they sell that cheap at my local grocery store.
S

ahmo

Diatomaceous Earth also has high silica, helps cleanse the gut.

@musicchick581 If you use Firefox, there's an add-on called SNPtips which will highlight your rs's whenever you encounter them online. So, when I came to this page, the VDR rs posted by LynnJ is bright green, so I know without looking that I have this SNP also. Like Geneticgenie, you upload your 23andme data into it, and then it's in the background. ;)