• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

On high dose hydroxyb12 injections - what to take extra with my SNP mutations?

Thinktank

@Freddd, @Valentijn, @caledonia, @alex3619 and others well versed in methylation.

My LLMD has prescribed me 10mg hydroxycobalamin injections to be administered intramuscular twice weekly and i've been doing so for three weeks now without much side effects except some histamine issues.

The dosage of 10mg IM hydroxycobalamin is very high so how much methylfolate and possibly other methyldonors should i add in ratio? Would it be wise to supplement with small amounts of S.L. adenosylcobalamin and methylcobalaminas as well?

I'm +/- for:
MTHFR C677T
MTHFR A1298C
MTHFR 03 P39P

MTRR A66G
MTRR A664G

BHMT 02
BHMT 04
BHMT 08

SHMT C1420

VDR Bsm
VDR Taq

Valentijn

@Thinktank - I'm taking the same dose of hydroxoB12 on the same schedule. However I'm not well-versed in methylation. Basically I just take a normal dose of a B-multi per day and a low dose of vitamin C.

I don't seem to have any methylfolate issues - no MTHFR mutations, and I seem to do fine with just the B-multi and veggies once or twice per day. My only advice is to do what feels good. If you feel better with a bit more methylfolate then go for it. But if you feel just fine without it, then I don't see a need to complicate things.

Edit: I do have serious B12 issues, with homozygous MTRR A66G.

Last edited:
@Freddd, @Valentijn, @caledonia, @alex3619 and others well versed in methylation.

My LLMD has prescribed me 10mg hydroxycobalamin injections to be administered intramuscular twice weekly and i've been doing so for three weeks now without much side effects except some histamine issues.

The dosage of 10mg IM hydroxycobalamin is very high so how much methylfolate and possibly other methyldonors should i add in ratio? Would it be wise to supplement with small amounts of S.L. adenosylcobalamin and methylcobalaminas as well?

I'm +/- for:
MTHFR C677T
MTHFR A1298C
MTHFR 03 P39P

MTRR A66G
MTRR A664G

BHMT 02
BHMT 04
BHMT 08

SHMT C1420

VDR Bsm
VDR Taq
What were your B12 and Folate levels before you went on the injections ? What is your MCV ?
Do you know what your COMT status is ?

caledonia

Here's the deal: just taking B12 is only one half of the equation. Once you had methylfolate, methylation will start cranking. You may find it to be way too much. By then it will have much momentum and be hard to slow down.

Please read Start Low and Go Slow and Roadblocks to Successful Methylation linked in my signature before proceeding.

Thinktank

@Valentijn,
Sometimes we overthink - especially me, which protocol to follow, what exact dosage to take, comparing everything to scientific literature etc. I really have to stop being such a perfectionist and just try some things and listen to my body.

I took 1000mcg methylfolate after my B12 injection last night and i feel more energized today, i was able to do 30 minutes cardio and some weight lifting this morning. Placebo or are some of the other medications kicking in?

Aren't you using the lypo-spheric vitamin C? I don't react very well to it, it increases inflammation probably by stimulating the degranulation of mast cells. I will probably fare better on a low dose C not exceeding 500mg.

B-complexes always mess me up, even low doses and i don't know why! Stomach pain / gastritis, loose stools, over stimulation followed by a crash and excessive yellow nuclear urination (caused by B2?)

@Milford,
Baseline levels:
serum B12 = 380

serum folic acid, don't exactly remember the value but it was medium, perfectly within range but ofcourse that test is pretty useless with 3 heterozygous MTHFR mutations. I'm going to do a methylation panel with the European laboratory of nutrients next month to check my active folate etc. values.

MCV = 88.1 (80 - 95) I have my CBC tested every two weeks.

COMT = -/- so in theory i should be able to tolerate all forms of cobalamin

@caledonia, i've read your methylation document some time ago, good work on that!
The problem is i'm using a rather complex regimen with continuous rotation of antibiotics + things that modulate my immune system. It's sometimes hard to tell what i'm reacting to, will be even harder when i add in the methylfolate.

Valentijn

Aren't you using the lypo-spheric vitamin C? I don't react very well to it, it increases inflammation probably by stimulating the degranulation of mast cells. I will probably fare better on a low dose C not exceeding 500mg.
It makes me swell up too, but it has soy, which always causes that reaction to me, even when it's just soy fats and not soy proteins. I've completely stopped taking that, and just do a buffered C now. When trying higher doses in the past, my gut wouldn't tolerate it, but I do fine with a small amount.