• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I've taken an active B12 test

Hi,

I have found taken B12 to be of benefit to me. My father had anaemia in his late years and his brother died of it when he was a baby (around 1920).

Since there seems to be some history I took a test in London for anaemia. It was arrange from here: http://www.purehealthshop.co.uk/shop/article_32/Anaemia-Profile-(Blood).html?sessid=Ndi5xqc6pYvEtGqmK4lkUbxKhC2WCCDl1H4L78jFoILmSRlLtaGbgoJ73PWUVV0t&shop_param=cid=2&aid=32&

Hopefully I will get some results to see if my B12, folate or iron is low.

Has anyone had an active B12 test? what are you thoughts on it. I've been reading the book "could it be B12" and it seems that a lot of people could be deficient in B12.

I am taking methylcobalamin at 5 to 7 Mg and dibecoplex at 10MG and it has helped with energy and mood and focus. Sometime a feel a little bit detached, but usually energised. Before I did feel low and sometimes depressed or negative thinking. This seems to have improved for me after taking the B12 and the other supplements that are below.

I'm also taking liquid carnitine at 10Mg and metafolin at 800Mcg. basically the basic methylation protocol. I did this partly to see how it would work since I'm advising a friend with ME.

Thinks

Richard

Last edited:

musicchick581

I had a serum B12 test done and it was normal. Apparently they aren't reliable unless B12 is high in the serum test because that means it's not being used by your methylation cycle. I'm not sure you can test methylcobalmin.

5-7 MG is very high, I think. I wasn't able to get past 500 MCG without feeling out of body and weird.

How long have you been taking all that? I think it can take months to see methyl traps.

I had a serum B12 test done and it was normal. Apparently they aren't reliable unless B12 is high in the serum test because that means it's not being used by your methylation cycle. I'm not sure you can test methylcobalmin.

5-7 MG is very high, I think. I wasn't able to get past 500 MCG without feeling out of body and weird.

How long have you been taking all that? I think it can take months to see methyl traps.

Hi,

Been taking it since about February of this year. I started at 1mg of methylcobalmin only. I think I will dial it down since the last dose made me spaced out.

richard

I got the results today and the clinic said:
I am pleased to attach your test results, which show a few imbalances especially high RBC folate and active B12 levels. Slightly low lymphocytes and ferritin. saturation looks on the lower normal side to me.

I hope that gives you the information you were seeking. I have included the full lab report for you.

I would now suggest you see your GP/local health professional and discuss the results.

It seems I have high folate and B12. I did top taking all supplements 6 days before the test, but it seems the levels I've been taking have kept them in the blood for while and has elevated my results. some of my results are:

Active B12

pmol/L

25.1 - 165.0

Red cell folate

nmol/L

158 - 1099

MCHC

g/dL

30 - 35

Lymphocytes

* 43.2% 3.66

x10^9/L

1.2 - 3.65

TRANSFERRIN SATURATION

%

20 - 55

FERRITIN

ug/L

30 - 400

I've attached the full result as a PDF.

I'm not quite sure how to interpret the results, if I should now stop the B12 or consider it ok to have a high level or it is a sign of it not being absorbed. However I do feel a positive change from taking the b12.

I was going to dial down the dose anyway since I spaced myself out with the last dose yesterday at 7mg methylcobalamin and 10mg dibencoplex.

Richard

Attachments

• Haematology.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 6