• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme results - help please

Nielk

I finally joined the bandwagon and tested through 23 and me. I downloaded my raw results with genetic genie and got a list for methylation and detoxing. What now?

Attachments

• Genetic_Genie_Methylation_Profile_Gabby_Klein.pdf
    60.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Genetic_Genie_Detox_Profile_Gabby_Klein.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 20

Valentijn

I finally joined the bandwagon and tested through 23 and me. I downloaded my raw results with genetic genie and got a list for methylation and detoxing. What now?
It definitely suggests a significant problem with the production of methylfolate. Hence you probably need to supplement methylfolate, and it may help to avoid artificial forms such as folic acid (including fortified foods).

There also might be a bit of a problem with B12. It may help to take some, but you might do better with hydroxoB12, since having the slow versions of COMT, VDR, and MAOA may make you somewhat intolerance to extra methyl groups.

caledonia

First Priority mutations - CBS A360A - the minor one, plus no BHMTs, so CBS is probably not an issue. No ACAT, SHMT is unknown. My suggestion would be if you have gut issues, to address those first, and try addressing SHMT along with it.

MTHFR C677T +/+ significant problem, so definitely some methylfolate.

MTR and some MTRRs - this is the "B12 double whammy" - I have this one too. You may find this also to be a significant problem. You would take B12 for this. The type of B12 is determined by the COMT/VDR combo. You have a sensitive type combo. For you Yasko suggests hydroxycobalamin and adenosylcobalamin. So in general, take it easy with methyl supps or you could have mood swings.

VDR Bsm - get your vit. D checked and if low, supplement.

MAO A +/+ Yasko suggests getting all the other SNPs under control, and then if you're still having mental health type issues, some a sprinkle of 5htp (assuming you're not also on an SSRI or SNRI psych med). 5htp would supply some serotonin.

Forgot to add: read Start Low and Go Slow and Roadblocks to Successful Methylation linked in my signature before getting started.

Last edited:

caledonia

Detox SNPs

CYP1A2 +/- slow caffeine metabolizer

CYP1B1 can cause estrogen dominance possibly leading to estrogen related cancers (breast, cervical, etc.) The recommendation is to eat cruciferous veggies or take IC3 or DIM (components in cruciferous veggies).

CYP2C19 detoxifies proton pump inhibitors and anticonvulsants such as Valium - so possible problems with those.

CYP2D6 - detoxifies 20% of all meds, such as psych drugs, opiates, beta blockers - you have many SNPs here - likely problems

GSTP1 +/+ Affects glutathione. Detoxigenomics says "Defects in GST activity can contribute to fatigue syndromes, and to various cancers throughout the body".

Having this on top of your MTHFR and MTR/MTRR SNPs would be like a double whammy for glutathione production. The best way to increase glutathione is by taking methylation supps (folate and B12), not necessarily glutathione directly. If you do decide to take glutathione, Ben Lynch suggests taking NAD along with it so you make the good reduced glutathione and not oxidized glutathione.

NAT - detoxifies smoke and petrochemicals - you have several of those, so avoid smoke and petrochemicals. With your glutathione double whammy, I wouldn't be surprised if you reported having MCS for these chemicals.

See the Detoxigenomics link in my signature for much more detailed info on these SNPs, including lists of drugs affected by each SNP.

The general advice for detox SNPs is to avoid toxins and eat your fruits and veggies.

Nielk

First Priority mutations - CBS A360A - the minor one, plus no BHMTs, so CBS is probably not an issue. No ACAT, SHMT is unknown. My suggestion would be if you have gut issues, to address those first, and try addressing SHMT along with it.

MTHFR C677T +/+ significant problem, so definitely some methylfolate.

MTR and some MTRRs - this is the "B12 double whammy" - I have this one too. You may find this also to be a significant problem. You would take B12 for this. The type of B12 is determined by the COMT/VDR combo. You have a sensitive type combo. For you Yasko suggests hydroxycobalamin and adenosylcobalamin. So in general, take it easy with methyl supps or you could have mood swings.

VDR Bsm - get your vit. D checked and if low, supplement.

MAO A +/+ Yasko suggests getting all the other SNPs under control, and then if you're still having mental health type issues, some a sprinkle of 5htp (assuming you're not also on an SSRI or SNRI psych med). 5htp would supply some serotonin.

Forgot to add: read Start Low and Go Slow and Roadblocks to Successful Methylation linked in my signature before getting started.

Thanks @caledonia - I have to admit that most of this is like Chinese to me. Whenever I try to read about methylation and/or genetics, I have a blank stare and just can't absorb it so I really appreciate you taking the time to give me advice.

When you say to first take care of gut issues and SHMT - what is SHMT and how do I deal with my gut issues?

caledonia

Thanks @caledonia - I have to admit that most of this is like Chinese to me. Whenever I try to read about methylation and/or genetics, I have a blank stare and just can't absorb it so I really appreciate you taking the time to give me advice.

When you say to first take care of gut issues and SHMT - what is SHMT and how do I deal with my gut issues?

For gut issues - do the 4R Gut Rebuilding Program linked in my signature. SHMT is in the folate cycle (the same cycle where MTHFR is). It impacts folinic acid (a form of folate). You need folinic acid to make RNA and DNA bases, which eventually become methylated and make RNA and DNA - so pretty important. I'm not sure how that translates into causing leaky gut, but it is reputed to do so.

So the short answer is just to take some folinic acid while working through the 4R Gut Program.