• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Diagnosing Gut Issues?

I have had digestive disorders for years and they have begun to get quite serious. I am a rather skinny guy but will have bloating 24/7 to the point where I look pregnant. My stomach is in pain more often than not, and I have dealt with indigestion since I was a young boy in high school (21 now).

I have tried more diets and supplements than I can count to no avail. What confuses me the most however is just how I could go about figuring out what is happening with my digestion. What tests are available that would be able to pinpoint my specific problem and then provide me with some direction in terms of possible treatments?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I had serious bloating like that when I had candida. An easy way I used to diagnose is eat some peanut butter. If you bloat, there's a good chance you have candida.

Are there specific foods that make you bloat? have you found a trend?

If it is candida that is pretty easy to treat. I used this diet and protocol. I swear by Thorne SF-722. just one option.

http://candidarecovery.com

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have had digestive disorders for years and they have begun to get quite serious. I am a rather skinny guy but will have bloating 24/7 to the point where I look pregnant. My stomach is in pain more often than not, and I have dealt with indigestion since I was a young boy in high school (21 now).

I have tried more diets and supplements than I can count to no avail. What confuses me the most however is just how I could go about figuring out what is happening with my digestion. What tests are available that would be able to pinpoint my specific problem and then provide me with some direction in terms of possible treatments?

Here is a very good test but it needs a very knowledgeable doctor to interpret it:

http://www.redlabs.be/red-labs/our-tests/dysbiosis-testing-msa.php

Sushi

helen1

I would get a Comprehensive Stool Analysis if I were you. Several labs do these. Metametrix is the one I've used and have found it very useful.
http://www.metametrix.com/test-menu/profiles/gastrointestinal-function/dna-stool-analysis-gi-effects
Useful: found out which beneficial bacteria I was low in and which too high; that I had low pancreatic enzymes; that I had high pH; no parasites.
On the down side, they are not often able to see yeast or fungus in the stool, so they may report a false negative if you do indeed have yeast overgrowths.

tdog333

Try using Digestive Enzymes and a lot of betaine HCL with each meal. Take them 30 minutes after you finish eating.
Work your way up with betaine, when I started I needed 20+ pills of betaine hcl(350MG per pill) I've been able to decrease it slowly. Just keep adding 1 betaine pill with each meal until you feel a light burning feeling, then back off 1-2 pills and take that with every meal containing protein

BTW that bloating is typical of dysbiosis, commonly from candida and other bacteria. Parasites do the same thing.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I would get a Comprehensive Stool Analysis if I were you. Several labs do these. Metametrix is the one I've used and have found it very useful.
http://www.metametrix.com/test-menu/profiles/gastrointestinal-function/dna-stool-analysis-gi-effects
Useful: found out which beneficial bacteria I was low in and which too high; that I had low pancreatic enzymes; that I had high pH; no parasites.
On the down side, they are not often able to see yeast or fungus in the stool, so they may report a false negative if you do indeed have yeast overgrowths.

I think I read here somewhere that Metametrix is no longer doing the DNA aspect of the analysis?

Sushi

end

I think I read here somewhere that Metametrix is no longer doing the DNA aspect of the analysis?

Sushi

I have heard the same thing. There sample test on there web site has been altered.

Maybe there not getting good feed back from there high amounts of PPTU findings??

Can anybody confirm this