• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The third (second open) IOM meeting May 5th

SOC

Your post just gave me a thought. Maybe they should change ME/CFS, to being called "exercise intollerance disease" instead. That way people would probably be far more understanding and I would guess then would get the idea.
Except that exercise intolerance is a different problem from PEM. Not the same thing.

Aerobic exercise training is an accepted treatment for at least some forms of EI, so calling our illness Exercise Intolerance Diseases would be both inaccurate and dangerous.

SOC

This is not a court of law where we are trying to find if Arroll "guilty" of something beyond a reasonable doubt. We're considering whether she is correctly portraying ME/CFS patients to a critical decision- making group.

Her approach, while apparently not as egregious as a lot of what we've seen out of the UK BPS, still assumes a large psychological component to ME/CFS. She is also using patient subsets that are far from legitimately established ME/CFS patients. This wouldn't be considered appropriate if the IOM was investigating MS. Why should we considerate acceptable for us just because it's not as bad as it could be?

lartista

From June 2011 until October 2013, Dr Megan Arroll joined OHC as Research Director from UEL. Part of her role included taking over the clinical trials, and actively building an in house research department. http://freedomfromme.co.uk/history/

She got her grant money for her college paper from TONY G at MESH and Action for Me.

Ren

“The Optimum Health Clinic research department is headed by Dr Megan Arroll, who has a PhD in ME/CFS and is considered an expert in this area."*

“Megan completed her PhD at the University of Surrey under the supervision of Dr Victoria Senior and Professor Jane Ogden within the area of health psychology.” **

From Arroll (07-2013), “ME/CFS can be conceptualised as a maladaptive stress disorder…” ***

*http://freedomfromme.co.uk/disclaimer/ (The Optimum Health Clinic website Disclaimer page)
**http://www.uel.ac.uk/psychology/staff/meganarroll/
***http://www.researchgate.net/publica...alomyelitis__Chronic_Fatigue_Syndrome_(MECFS)

A.B.

From Arroll (07-2013), “ME/CFS can be conceptualised as a maladaptive stress disorder…” ***

The paper this is from was discussed here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...elitis-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-me-cfs.24301/

I would agree with the assertion that this is nothing more but the claim that ME/CFS patients are simply stressed (along the lines of "they do too much") , somewhat concealed by a "biomedical" language, but I haven't been able to read the full paper.

Bob

This is not a court of law where we are trying to find if Arroll "guilty" of something beyond a reasonable doubt. We're considering whether she is correctly portraying ME/CFS patients to a critical decision- making group.
We're considering whether she will correctly portray ME/CFS to the IOM committee, and we're considering exactly what we would write in a submission to the IOM committee. In order to write an informed letter, it was necessary to find some evidence. And I've yet to find any direct evidence in relation to her views on ME/CFS, except for some research papers in which I've struggled to anything specific that I object to.

Her approach, while apparently not as egregious as a lot of what we've seen out of the UK BPS, still assumes a large psychological component to ME/CFS.
I'm not sure that's the case in her latest paper. Have you read it yet?
And do you have any quotes in relation to her belief that there is a large psychological component to ME/CFS?

Last edited:

Bob

Last edited:

Bob

Now we have something to work with...

Allostatic overload in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)
Megan Anne Arroll
September 2013
Medical Hypotheses Volume 81, Issue 3 , Pages 506-508
http://www.medical-hypotheses.com/article/S0306-9877(13)00313-7/abstract
Abstract

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a debilitating condition characterised by diverse symptoms such as fatigue, pain, sleep disturbance and autonomic dysfunction.

There remains to be a singular biomarker identified for this illness, hence numerous theories about its development and perpetuation have been posited in the literature.

This brief report presents the model of ‘allostasis’ as a framework for understanding ME/CFS, specifically the notion that the physiological mechanisms employed in the body to deal with stress termed here as ‘allostatic states’ (e.g. elevation of inflammatory cytokines), may in and of themselves contribute to the perpetuation of the disorder.

This theoretical assertion has important consequences for the understanding of ME/CFS and treatment; rather than searching for a singular pathogen responsible for this condition, ME/CFS can be conceptualised as a maladaptive stress disorder and interventions aimed at addressing the allostatic states may be incorporated into current symptom management programmes.

Ren

If still needed/wanted, here's some brief info on the journal (?) "Medical Hypotheses" from Research Gate:
http://www.researchgate.net/journal/0306-9877_Medical_Hypotheses

------

Also, from "The Optimum Health Clinic": "Non-medical practitioners (those working in our psychology and nutrition departments) do not diagnose or treat ME, CFS, Fibroymyalgia and that group of illnesses."

http://freedomfromme.co.uk/disclaimer/

If Dr. Arroll (psychologist) can't diagnose or treat ME, CFS, how can she be an expert?

And The Optimum Health Clinic repeatedly states, "ME, CFS, Fibroymyalgia and that group of illnesses." Does the clinic then distinguish between ME and CFS? If so, how so?

Megan Arroll has involved herself with Vivienne Parry, who, according to Vivienne’s own site, is on the Board of the Science Media Centre.
http://www.vparry.co.uk/

Megan Arroll, Dr Amolak Bansal and Vivienne Parry are all involved in a (fairly) new ME research charity called ‘ME Solutions’. Vivienne Parry is the Patron.

This is not the first time Vivienne Parry has involved herself in ‘CFS’ projects.

Vivienne Parry has a history of involving herself in projects which purport to represent or mediate for ME patients and patient groups. But Ms Parry’s previous projects were nothing of the sort.

For an insight into Vivienne Parry’s MO this piece on the MEAgenda site should be read in full.

https://meagenda.wordpress.com/2008/11/16/parry-prime-minervation-and-the-me-observatory/

Vivienne Parry misinformed The Times readers by writing (in the Times) that The Prime Project (2008) and its website was patient instigated and led.

Vivienne Parry wrote in the Times that
the patient-led website www.prime-cfs.org is also used by medical professionals. This site was set up by a group of patient support groups to allow information about the experiences and concerns of people with ME/CFS to be accessed by medical researchers. By doing this they hoped researchers would better understand this misunderstood condition.”

‘Should you trust health advice from internet forums?’ November 15, 2008.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5154795.ece

(This article by Vivienne Parry is now behind a Times newspaper paywall)

BUT the facts were that the Prime Project was instigated by and funded (£320,000) by Great Universal Stores (GUS) Charitable Trust whose administrator was – Vivienne Parry. The Prime Project was managed by management consultancy company Crowe Associates (Sally Crowe) and another Management consultancy company called Minervation.

So what is Vivienne Parry’s interest in the ME Solutions Charity?

Wildcat writes: Please note, at the time I first posted this material on Phoenix (16th March 2014) the ME Solutions charity site was online.

http://www.mesolutions.org.uk/

The ME Solutions website no longer appears to be online but here is the page from Wayback:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130727224931/http://www.mesolutions.org.uk/

M.E. Solutions Charity personel:

http://www.mesolutions.org.uk/who-we-are/

http://web.archive.org/web/20130917165039/http://www.mesolutions.org.uk/who-we-are/

M.E. Solutions is run by a dedicated and determined group of people, all with direct experience of the illness. It is this empathetic understanding of M.E. that is the driving force behind our commitment to make a real difference to people’s lives. Our team is lead by:

Dr. Megan Arroll: Megan completed her PhD on the topic of sub-grouping in ME and has published in the International Association of CFS/ME’s Bulletin. She works as an independent researcher and is committed to bringing together experts from numerous backgrounds to investigate various aspects of ME. She currently teaches with the Open University in the London region.
C:%5CUsers%5CNicola%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.gif

Chief Scientific Advisor: Dr.Amolak Bansal.
C:%5CUsers%5CNicola%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.gif

Dr. Bansal’s medical experience comprises training in immunology and allergy from 1989 to 1993 at St. Mary’s Hospital in Manchester and at Hope Hospital in Salford. From here he spent five years (1993-1997) as Senior Lecturer and Consultant in Clinical Immunology in the Department of Medicine at the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane, Australia.

From 1997 to the present date Dr. Bansal has worked as a Consultant in ClinicalImmunology and Immunopathology at St. Helier’s Hospital. Dr Bansal’s key interests lie in allergy, autoimmunity, CFS/ME and immunodeficiency. He has published numerous papers in each area.

Patron. Vivienne Parry

Vivienne writes and presents a wide range of programmes for Radio 4 including the multi award winning series ‘Am I normal’, and ‘Inside the Ethics Committee’ as well as a number of one off documentaries on science and medicine. A scientist by training, Vivienne is also a prolific writer, contributing to the Times Body & Soul section as well as to a wide range of other magazines and papers including the Mail on Sunday, Guardian and Good Housekeeping.

Our ultimate aim is “The defeat of ME through the combined efforts of scientists, doctors, carers and the sufferers.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vivienne Parry

‘She works extensively across government, particularly with the Chief Scientific Officer at the Department of Health but also with the Government Office of Science Foresight projects and with BIS’

…..‘She undertakes a great deal of hosting, facilitation, scripting and film work with science and innovation organisations (including the Royal Society, NESTA, the Technology Strategy Board and most of the research councils), with government, with industry (including Unilever and AstraZeneca) and with European bodies such as the European Food Safety Authority. ‘

….. ‘She also sits on the council of the MRC, was a member of the Joint Committee on Vaccines and Immunisation, sat on the Duff Enquiry investigating TGN 1412 and subsequently on the Clinical Trials Expert Advisory Group of the MHRA. She is on the board of the Science Media Centre and the Cheltenham Science Festival.

lartista

Here's an interesting perspective of one person with ME/CFS who did the program. It started to feel like Tom Cruz's group's code of secrecy when she wrote her story... If you read it all the way to the end on the link provided... you read a war of comments, pro and con fighting back and forth from the public... but read it all... You hear who brags as it worked and you hear valid counter claims that it is all nonsense... My bottom line position is after all the research I have done on Megan Aaroll, LPN and the Optimum Health Group who was found to NOT have supporting medical papers to back their advertising. Through their personal company's ex patients and contacts, they found a psych student who became also degreed in "How to do Research" as one of her credentials. She is building a career around all angles of mental, trauma, negative mind controlling thoughts, emotional, family and social issues to support her findings. I looked up the actual Psychology tests she used and the questionnaires are ALL subjective by the participants.No blood labs, no tilt tables tests, no SPECT MRI, no doctors reports, no blood pressure, no heart rates, no infection history, no cross reference to other illness like POTS, etc... Her work is being paid for by outside funders and it is hard to trace all of them though I found a few crossing over.

I have always had a knack for being an expert researching and was validated with 2 genius and 3 gifted borderline genius areas on my IQ tests along with scoring like an idiot in areas due to cognitive issues all under my 2004 and then UNUM's 2008 independent medical reviews...... I smell a skunk!. What is going on here is she is building herself up as a ME/CFS expert... She is using all tests that are based on feelings and personal perspectives. So since it is not a double blind test, independent outside groups, controlled for ME. There is no medical creditability to her studies...I am sorry if that offends some but it is true...

I am going to create a survey example here...
1) Who would like to be in my survey? (I am only asking people who like me to respond please)
2) I am going to mail you form to answer personal subjective questions.( but since you did my training and like me, I am sure your will have all good responses, right)
3) If you tell me you have ME/CFS, I am going to believe you. (You don't need to be diagnosed by anyone qualified)
4) Most likely if you are bed bound or house bound, I don't want you to respond, ok?
5) I don't want any medical finding either, tests or anything.
6) ok send me my questionnaires please back.
7) I found that your feedback was overwhelmingly positive to our therapy approach here> Thanks for being so honest about the stresses you have in your life.
8) Also, thank you different professional groups for paying my expenses for these research papers I am doing for your nonprofits, which pay everyone salaries...

Now this is an exaggeration but it is not too far from the truth either... You can't find medical research like this valid for much...

READ THIS ENTIRE LINK and just think about it....

http://sallycats.hubpages.com/hub/The-Lightning-Process-Didnt-Work-For-me
Shedding light on the lightning Process
PHIL PARKER’S LIGHTNING PROCESS DIDN’T WORK FOR ME.

The Lightning Process is the latest 'miracle' cure for M.E and Chronic Fatige. It is shrouded in mystery because they drill it into participants that if they tell anyone about it it won't work.. It has worked for some people but not for others. It is based on affirmations and counteracting negative thoughts if you are already familiar with such things it will not be anything new for you. I paid £550 to go on the course because I couldn't find out what it was really about. This is why I have written this.

There were four of us on the course. The morning of the first day was spent ‘proving’ mind over matter by showing us DVD’s interspersed with talks from the tutor, a stout woman in her late fifties, telling us about people who had being wrongly diagnosed with cancer and then died anyway.

‘That’s how powerful your mind is,’ she trilled and didn’t cite the many cases of people wrongly diagnosed with cancer who gave away all their money only to find themselves still alive and then sue the NHS - as was on the radio recently. We were shown optical illusions, pictures where one way it looks like an old woman, one way a young one and another one of an elephant with varying numbers of legs depending on how you looked at it. She kept pointing to her large sofas and telling us stories about people who had lain there unable to move at the start of the course and were walking again by the third day and then back at work/school by the following Monday (the course was mid week). I liked this bit. Before the course I could already walk, I could even work part time, but I still slept afternoons, travel exhausted me and nights out left me sleepless and overwrought. If others went from nothing to being able to work in four days I was sure to get well. I believed it could work. My basic attitude was I have paid £550 for this (borrowed money as I am on benefits) I am going to do what they say.

The first thing was to take responsibility for our illness. I had to stop saying I had M.E. Instead I have to say I am ‘doing M.E’, I wasn’t tired, I was ‘doing tired anddoing muscle aches’. The implication being if I am doing it I can stop doing it. I wasn’t sure what I thought about this, but it didn’t matter because I didn’t get to put it into practice much on the course as you are not encouraged to talk about how you are. This was because we are going to concentrate on the positive which at the time seemed fair enough. The facilitator was telling us more and more stories about the people she had cured. One of them even phoned up while we were having lunch and the phone was passed round the table so we could all talk to her. By that time I was up really up for it, we all were, whatever the process was, I was going to do it with all my heart.

In the afternoon session we were told that the reason we had M.E is that we have negative thoughts. Every time we have them our adrenal glands give us ‘a squirt of adrenaline’ this builds up and stops your body functioning properly.

The Lightening Process would stop this happening. This was a miracle. The five hundred and fifty pound wonder.

The tutor stood up. ‘To stop this you have to get up and say ‘Stop’ make a physical movement, step back or cross your wrists in a pushing away movement.’ And she did the movement for us. Then she showed us how to go through an affirmation/self-coaching process, which I think is copy righted so I’ll paraphrase. You ask yourself if you want to choose happiness. Which you obviously do and then you say how fantastic you are to have stopped the negativity thought. You ask yourself what you really want, then you answer yourself, and again ask yourself how you are going to get there. The answer of course is to keep doing the process, getting rid of those negative thoughts. Then you tell yourself how great you are again and maybe have a bit of a hug with yourself, then…….. no nothing, that’s it.

Kerching. Five hundred and Fifty pounds please.

I was a bit perturbed at this point because I have been doing affirmations and therapy for many years so I am not blighted by the kind of negativity that can be emotionally crippling, and when I first discovered that it was wonderful. But I discovered it in a book that cost £3.50 now I it seemed I had paid £550 for the same lesson.

However the mere fact I had paid so much money meant I was going to do exactly as they told me, it had worked for others and it could work for me. We were told to do The Process thirty times that evening. I went back to my guest house and did as I was told. I spoke to my loved ones but when they asked how it went I was reluctant to talk about it. The tutor said that if we tell people about the process if won’t work. That’s right, to talk about the process means it can’t work for you. She also told had told us no matter how she feels she tells everyone she ‘feels fabulous’. I wasn’t quite ready to tell people I felt fabulous but equally I didn’t tell anyone how much the first day had tired me because that is a negative thought and that must be countered, so I did my thirty processes, went for a walk and then to bed.

The second day when I turned up there was three big posters saying, ‘DON’T TALK ABOUT HOW YOU ARE UNTIL THE SESSION STARTS’. I soon realised once it did start that is so the tutor can control everything. She didn’t ask me if I felt better she asked what I did the night before, I said, ‘I did the Process and I went for a walk’ she said, ‘Sally, went for a walk, hooray’ like it was a victory for the Lightning process but as I said my M.E is moderate and I go for a walk everyday, but no-one would have known.

As the day went on I was getting more and more tired. By mid-afternoon I was slumped in my seat watching yet another video about how the brain makes us over-produce adrenalin and how The Process can stop it. But I had been doing the process and it hadn’t stopped it. All the tutor’s happy chat about even more people she had cured were starting to sound stale.

I was not the only one who looked knackered. One of the blokes started asking questions about why he doesn’t feel what they say on the DVD.

‘It’s a three day process’ she snaps and makes him do the Process.

Any awkward question for the rest of the session was answered with ‘It’s a three day process,’ or anything even more awkward she says we can ask in the individual sessions we are having the next day.

If anyone says anything she thinks is negative we are interrupted and corrected.

At one point she left the room. It felt very naughty but I whispered to one of the woman sitting next to me ‘how are you, is this working for you?’. She was reluctant to answer, to say anything but that she was doing well would be to go against the process because that is a negative thought. It was pointless asking really.

Still I wanted it to work, but I was starting to worry about the fact that I was not only not feeling any better the effort of doing the course, not getting my normal rest was making me feel worse.

But these were negative thoughts. I started to ruthlessly suppress them like I had been shown.

Yes by that evening I was doing the Lightning Process to counteract my thoughts about the Lightning Process itself.

The next day I still felt no different. I went and had my one to one session and when I told her that she said I was being negative (of course) and that I must keep doing the process at home and it would work. But on the course I was told that the reason it was called 'lightning process' was that because it worked liked lightning (they even produced diagram with a graphic of some lightning in case we didn't get it. I got the concept, it just wasn't happening.) From all the literature I was sent prior to parting with borrowed money to go on the course, were testimonials saying how fast it had worked. No body said it didn't work on the course but it did later. Also I realised when you fill in the form you have to say whether you question things, this is because they don’t want anyone on the course who does. They need to control everything. You are not allowed to talk about how you are because that is being negative. In the session anything I even hinted to this effect was countered with that I was being negative. So we moved on to what else she could do for me. I said one of my biggest problems was being exhausted but unable to sleep. So we did a visualisation that involved a pressure point on my hand and she said whenever I couldn’t sleep I could just rub that point.

‘There you are you are cured,’ she said so happily that I could see in her mind where no negative thoughts ever creep, I was. She was clearly thrilled with herself. I wanted to believe her and tried it for the next few nights, of course to no avail.

The lightning process is supposed to be NLP and osteopathy. I could see no osteopathy, the only movement on the course I attended was the stop movement and the pressure point on my hand I mentioned above. The woman who ran the process had been cured herself so maybe they have got something. I didn’t disbelieve he, she had a large house with a spare flat that she no longer needed to rent out due to how much she was making from peddling the lightning process to desperate people like me.

To give her her due she did drive me to and from the station and after the course offered to work with me for free on the phone. So I accepted that but found out that working with me involved her telling me to keep working the process because it worked and arguing with my objections saying I hadn't given it time and that I was being negative.

She kept saying 'keep doing it cos it works,' and had nothing to say when I said I had kept 'doing it'. She said I had given up so soon. I was told it had a 93 % success rate. On my course of four it seemed to work for one person and had an impact on another, but for two of us it failed completely.

Phil Parker who invented this process charges £1000 for his three day courses and has over 20 people per course. He should put some of that money into doing a proper clinical trial. It must be easy to wire people up to see if they get a squirt of adrenaline when they have negative thoughts. Maybe that does happen for some people but not all. Some people do get cured but not me.

I wished they asked on the application form if I was plagued with negative thoughts and whether I had worked with affirmations before I could have told them No, and Yes. Then they would have known their process was nothing new for me.

A really good article on M.E is http://niceguidelines.blogspot.com/2011/06/main-characteristic-of-me-is-abnormally.html It's by a doctor with M.E who argues the main characteristic of M.E is abnormally delayed muscle recover after doing trivial things. If you don't have that you don't have M.E.

I am writing a book about all the things I have tried for M.E/CFS if you would like to know when it's out then please contact me on sallyholloway(a)cheerful.com

Thank you.
sally holloway

lartista

So what is Vivienne Parry’s interest in the ME Solutions Charity?

Wildcat writes: Please note, at the time I first posted this material on Phoenix (16th March 2014) the ME Solutions charity site was online.

http://www.mesolutions.org.uk/

The ME Solutions website no longer appears to be online but here is the page from Wayback:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130727224931/http://www.mesolutions.org.uk/

M.E. Solutions Charity personel:

http://www.mesolutions.org.uk/who-we-are/

http://web.archive.org/web/20130917165039/http://www.mesolutions.org.uk/who-we-are/

M.E. Solutions is run by a dedicated and determined group of people, all with direct experience of the illness. It is this empathetic understanding of M.E. that is the driving force behind our commitment to make a real difference to people’s lives. Our team is lead by:

Dr. Megan Arroll: Megan completed her PhD on the topic of sub-grouping in ME and has published in the International Association of CFS/ME’s Bulletin. She works as an independent researcher and is committed to bringing together experts from numerous backgrounds to investigate various aspects of ME. She currently teaches with the Open University in the London region.

Chief Scientific Advisor: Dr.Amolak Bansal.

Dr. Bansal’s medical experience comprises training in immunology and allergy from 1989 to 1993 at St. Mary’s Hospital in Manchester and at Hope Hospital in Salford. From here he spent five years (1993-1997) as Senior Lecturer and Consultant in Clinical Immunology in the Department of Medicine at the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane, Australia.

From 1997 to the present date Dr. Bansal has worked as a Consultant in ClinicalImmunology and Immunopathology at St. Helier’s Hospital. Dr Bansal’s key interests lie in allergy, autoimmunity, CFS/ME and immunodeficiency. He has published numerous papers in each area.

Patron. Vivienne Parry

Vivienne writes and presents a wide range of programmes for Radio 4 including the multi award winning series ‘Am I normal’, and ‘Inside the Ethics Committee’ as well as a number of one off documentaries on science and medicine. A scientist by training, Vivienne is also a prolific writer, contributing to the Times Body & Soul section as well as to a wide range of other magazines and papers including the Mail on Sunday, Guardian and Good Housekeeping.

Our ultimate aim is “The defeat of ME through the combined efforts of scientists, doctors, carers and the sufferers.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vivienne Parry

‘She works extensively across government, particularly with the Chief Scientific Officer at the Department of Health but also with the Government Office of Science Foresight projects and with BIS’

…..‘She undertakes a great deal of hosting, facilitation, scripting and film work with science and innovation organisations (including the Royal Society, NESTA, the Technology Strategy Board and most of the research councils), with government, with industry (including Unilever and AstraZeneca) and with European bodies such as the European Food Safety Authority. ‘

….. ‘She also sits on the council of the MRC, was a member of the Joint Committee on Vaccines and Immunisation, sat on the Duff Enquiry investigating TGN 1412 and subsequently on the Clinical Trials Expert Advisory Group of the MHRA. She is on the board of the Science Media Centre and the Cheltenham Science Festival.
YOU ARE GOOD!!!!!
Simon Wessely is on that board too: http://www.theoneclickgroup.co.uk/news.php?id=884#newspost
PRIME PROJECT PARRY / WESSELY UPDATE

Professor Simon Wessely sits on the Science Advisory Panel of the Science Media Centre of which Vivienne Parry is a member of the Board.

As readers of One Click will know, we have expressed grave concerns in relation to the PRIME Project funded by Great Universal Stores (GUS) Charitable Trust and its new found desire to interest itself in ME/CFS community affairs at this key juncture when approximately £11.1m of British taxpayer's money is being squandered on psychiatric treatments that have been shown to damage so many ME/CFS patients and psychiatric trials that are methodologically and ethically flawed.

We have written several articles on the PRIME Project in which we highlighted PRIME Project leader Vivienne Parry's links with the notorious Professor Simon Wessely, psychiatrist. Wessely, the leader of the UK psychiatric lobby, is on record at a speech conducted at the 9th Eliot Slater Lecture in 1994 stating : "I will argue that ME is simply a belief, the belief that one has an illness called ME." From one psychiatrist's personal belief, much maltreatment of countless ME/CFS patients including very vulnerable children has ensued.

On 11 June 2005, One Click wrote in WHO ARE THE PRIME MOVERS? of Parry's links with Wessely, such as their joint participation in the Science Media Centre Consultation Report and their collaboration on the MMR:Learning Lessons Report .

As previously revealed, PRIME Project leader Parry sits on the Board of the Science Media Centre (SMC), a cultish political organisation whose Director, Fiona Fox has associations with the Living Marxism organisation, links to the Revolutionary Communist Party and the IRA. The Science Media Centre is colloquially known as the "Lord-Sainsbury-backed project". Sainsbury's Linbury Trust is a funder of Simon Wessely and Peter White, psychiatrists.

When One Click published the evidenced links of Parry with Simon Wessely, Parry denied any acquaintanceship and wrote to One Click in the Parry / Bryant Correspondence on the 12 June 2005: "I've been in a meeting of 200 people at which Simon Wessely was present, but I've never actually met him and have certainly not worked with him - a fact the Science Media Centre will confirm to you tomorrow. We both probably shop in Marks and Spencer too. A link, a link!"

In fact it transpires that Professor Simon Wessely sits on the Science Advisory Panel and is a member of the core scientific panel of the Science Media Centre (SMC), of which Parry is a Board member. See Wessely listed below.

Bob

The IOM committee won't be reading this thread, so I'm not sure who all these excessively long posts in an annoyingly large typeface are being directed at. I certainly haven't been reading them.
But, there is obviously some interest in the issue of Megan Arroll appearing at the IOM committee.
So, now it would be helpful to have some short, sharp, well informed, and tightly written comments to direct towards the committee.
If anyone can come up with a very short paragraph for us to include, then we'll consider including it in our submission, if you'd like us to.
Anyone can, of course, write their own submissions.

Last edited:

lartista

The IOM committee won't be reading this thread, so I'm not sure who all these excessively long posts in an annoyingly large typeface are being directed at. I certainly haven't been reading them.
But, there is obviously some interest in the issue Megan Arroll appearing at the IOM committee.
So, now it would be helpful to have some short, sharp, well informed, and tightly written comments to direct towards the committee.
If anyone can come up with a very short paragraph for us to include, then we'll consider including it in our submission, if you'd like us to.
Anyone can, of course, write their own submissions.
There are key people here on this post that are bloggers and some may be there... I have found that numerous people do not go to the links as can be seen by what they ask and write. I place the long post here for them. So if it annoys you then just skip on reading it... some of us have vision issues... I am not writing for you to include anything, I am writing to the others who are following here...

Firestormm

Megan Arroll. Guilty by association. One paper = bad news. Nasty person. Condemned to death by the unbiased ME community. Gotta bloody love this place sometimes.

Anyone thought to email Dr Arroll and enquire as to what she might be actually speaking about? Or why she left the Optimum Health Clinic? Or thought a little more about what Bansal is doing in relation to Invest in ME and the Rituximab Trial with UCL? Or her own latest research? Or the study with Bansal into PEM and VO2 max? Or, I dunno, sought an interview perhaps?

Must admit I was surprised to see her being invited to speak and did ask myself why, especially when she has never really crossed my radar before. Though I missed meeting her in Liskeard last year apparently, which I thought a shame at the time.

Anyway, I'll let you get back to building the pyre.

n.b. I have no idea why the charity ME Solutions website is not up at the moment - it was there when I last had cause to look. And before anyone says it, I hadn't realised she was involved in research with the ME Association either. But don't let that stop you.

Its amazing that no one has thought to ask why Megan Arroll and Dr Bansal have elected to get involved with Vivienne Parry.

My posts re ME Solutions were factual reporting/quotes, from relevent website material with links for verification, for information purposes; and asked a couple of relevent questions.
That is not a witchunt.