• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Valcyte Infertility - Transient?

PhoenixBurger

Does anyone know (for certain) whether the infertility caused by Valcyte is temporary?

I haven't been able to find a solid answer through Google.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
.?? I guess anything that puts a burden on the liver can affect hormones negatively then again so can ME. I would try and optimise your hormones. I also guess there is an issue of passing these herpes infections on, cmv none to cause some nasty things. I would think treating the infections is the priority but need to talk it over with a guru like Nancy klimas etc

SOC

Does anyone know (for certain) whether the infertility caused by Valcyte is temporary?

I haven't been able to find a solid answer through Google.
Can you link us to a reference for infertility as a side effect of Valcyte? I know that Valcyte might cause birth defects, so they want males and females both to use effective birth control while on Valcyte, but I hadn't heard about infertility before.

PhoenixBurger

Can you link us to a reference for infertility as a side effect of Valcyte?

?

It's right on the Valcyte documentation. Just like the cancer thing. That's why I didn't think I was blowing it out of proportion earlier.

Google search. First result.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/valcyte.html

...ganciclovir causes inhibition of spermatogenesis and subsequent infertility. In men, Valcyte at the recommended doses may cause temporary or permanent inhibition of spermatogenesis.

Guess the second sentence answers my question.

Just for good measure:

Carcinogenesis
Animal data indicate that administration of ganciclovir is carcinogenic. Valcyte should therefore be considered a potential carcinogen in humans

Last edited:

SOC

?

It's right on the Valcyte documentation. Just like the cancer thing. That's why I didn't think I was blowing it out of proportion earlier.

Google search. First result.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/valcyte.html

...ganciclovir causes inhibition of spermatogenesis and subsequent infertility. In men, Valcyte at the recommended doses may cause temporary or permanent inhibition of spermatogenesis.

Guess the second sentence answers my question.

Just for good measure:

Carcinogenesis
Animal data indicate that administration of ganciclovir is carcinogenic. Valcyte should therefore be considered a potential carcinogen in humans
Thanks. I probably missed it because neither daughter nor I is male ;) so reduced fertility in males didn't register with me.

As for carcinogenic, so many things are potentially carcinogenic, including some of the pathogens we suffer from, that I no longer fuss about things that aren't clear carcinogens. For me, the consequences of the virus are severe enough that the small possibility of increasing my cancer risk doesn't outweigh the definite positive effects of dealing with the virus.

Ultimately, everyone has to weigh the pros and cons of all treatments and make the best balance they can for themselves.

PhoenixBurger

That's what Dr. Rey said. "Lots of drugs are potentially carcinogenic".
In fact when I mentioned cancer in the same sentence as Valcyte, she said she had never even heard of any data related to cancer. (wow).

Quite honestly it bothered me significantly that she said it.
Its obvious the error in such a statement.
But I'll say it anyway:
  • Very few things show in trials to *actually cause* cancer in animals.
  • Its completely false to say that this is "normal" or "common".
  • Fewer yet cause "numerous tumors throughout the bodies" of animals.
  • Even fewer end up with Black Box Warnings about potential for causing cancer.
Valcyte qualifies for all of these.

I would expect that Dr. Rey would know to draw a distinction between ye olde saying that "everything causes cancer" and actual studies showing strong multiple tumor cancers in animals.

As for being female:

"Animal data also indicate suppression of fertility in females may occur."

Last edited:

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I also thought there's a better risk to benefit ratio to use valcyte for say 12months than to have chronic ebv and cmv which can also increase the risks of cancers and auto immune illnesses.

Comes down to weighing the risks of both treating and not treating infections.