• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylfolate Side Effects and copper defficiency

Gondwanaland

I am looking for some advice… I am experiencing methylfolate side effects.

On March 15 I took by mistake two halves (800mcg) instead of two quarters (400mcg) of folate.

Then from March 16 on I had to increase my intake of high potassium foods – ginger, coconut water, bananas, romaine lettuce, asparagus etc – to reduce breath shortness, racing heart and cramps.

On March 22 I finally found 99% KCl to buy w/o prescription and put some grains of it in bottled water to sip from along the day and to salt my food. Unfortunately it has a high iodine content and I got chills and cold hands and feet from it.

I diluted some Mg glycinate in water to spray in my cramping legs since I don’t tolerate oral Mg very well.

I kept taking 1000mcg mB12 until March 20 though, and still don’t feel well with anxiety attacks esp. during the night (racing heart and breath shortness). Then I stopped all supps (Zn, Se, fish oil) except for vit E.

I now have with me 100mg niacin and 500mg no flush niacin but I am afraid to take it b/c niacin is a strong copper antagonist. For instance when I tried to supplement vit C I got severely brain fogged and muscle twitches for several days since it antagonizes copper.

Dr. Lynch http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/2012/03/01/ also suggests curcumin (high in Mn also Cu antagonist) and hydroxocobalamin to help with the problem. At home I have tumeric (spice) and 5mg hydroxocobalamin injections (with parabens). Tomorrow I can get oral liquid hyB12 from the compounding pharmacy. HOw much should I take? I was on 1000mcg of mB12 until March 20.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

izzy

ahmo

@Gondwanaland You might try taking a small amount of the B12 you already have, say a crumb or quarter, something small. For me, and I'm not the only one, hydroxy doesn't do anything. It's a work-around for the body's starvation mode, is how Freddd describes it (I'm paraphrasing). When I've got too much folate, I've had excellent, and immediate, relief from popping a MethylB12. Very unfortunate about the iodine in K+:( Best to you, ahmo

Gondwanaland

Thank you, ahmo, will try that. If I need more potassium I will drink coconut water... I am getting sick of coconut water...

Gondwanaland

I am still considering the niacin though. I wonder if I'll get the same reaction as to vit C.

Edited to say that I am afraid of any move due to lack of potassium. Perhaps I should wait until tomorrow when I go to the compounding pharmacy to try to get iodide free KCl.

Gondwanaland

Everyday I get a little better and then a little worse from the methylfolate. Right now I am with severe anxiety, anorexia, and brain fog.

taking a crumb of mB12 (125 mcg) did not help.

Eating greens make me feel worse due to folate content.

Eating sulfur and vit C foods make me feel worse due to copper antagonism

Eating carbs and diary make me feel worse due to sodium raise, which increases histamine and panick attacks with shortness of breathing.

Eating meat is ok, but salt content is a problem.

I do not have a genetic test

I haven't found a dr. in my town with experience in methylation

I still have amalgams

I have lost about 22 pounds in the last month and am severely underweight.

Questions:
1) should I take 250 or 500mg of no flush niacin even if it will make me feel iffy from copper loss like vit C (I am guessing this is what is going to happen) and then

2) take a copper supplement before bed?

3) How do I get off of the methylation train?

izzy

Edit to say I am sure I have Lyme.
Also, I have a friend who will mail me some stuff from iHerb next week including iodide free KCl and K gluconate. I would be thankful for suggestions on more useful supps ASAP.
I can get a low dose B complex with Mg and chelate K added fro tomorrow, excluding B7, B9 and B12 -- would it be useful? Plus the Cu at bedtime?
Would adding L-glutamine to heal the gut be detrimental right now?

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

You are right, I will.

I want to take 250 mg no flush niacin but I am afraid I will need potassium which I don't have. I can try to order 99mg caps of potassium chelate, is it any good? I am afraid to take potassium and be B1 defficient. Would taking a low dose multi B help?
I plan to have the following formula compounded:

Mg citrate 100 mg
Thiamin HCl (vit B1) 15 mg
Riboflavin (vit B2) 10 mg
Nicotinamide (vit. B3) 30 mg
Calcium Panthotenate (vit. B5) 10 mg
Pirydoxine HCl (vit B6) 5 mg
Chelated K 100 mg

plus extra chelated K in 99mg caps

izzy

adreno

PR activist
You will not need extra potassium for taking B3. It will calm down your methylation.

Gondwanaland

Thank you! How much should I take? I am 101 pounds
I have no flush niacin 500mg (already divided 1 cap in 2 for a 250mg dose) and I also have niacin 100mg

izzy

adreno

PR activist
250 mg niacinamide should be sufficient. You can always take more later if it isn't enough.

Gondwanaland

How often can it be taken? It's been one hour since I took 250 mg no flush niacin and I still have butterflies in the stomach... I sensed a slight burning in the eyes similar to when I take vit C.

izzy

adreno

PR activist
Well, you can easily take a second dose. If 500mg B3 doesn't make you feel better, maybe it's not what you need. I take about 500mg per day.

Gondwanaland

Now I am wondering if what I got is inositol or what! The pharmacy already closed. Would it also help if it is inositol ?
Is niacinamide and nicotinamide the same?

Gondwanaland

I think I will have to take the regular niacin, I have 100mg caps. Perhaps I should divide it in 50mg doses? Does it make any difference to take it before or after dinner?

Adreno, thank you so much for your patience...

izzy

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Just a note, zinc should be taken with copper. One can get zinc in formulation with a trace amount of copper.