• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 and fluorescent urine

Hi,

My friend who has ME has started taking Enzymatic Therapy - B-12 Infusion, 1 Mg, sublingually and has reported a change in their urine.

Would this be a indication of it not being processed or just excess being passed through the body.

Thanks

Richard

Martial

Whatever is not used will be peed out, this is very normal and sometimes even funny to see your pee turn neon yellow or green. B vitamins complexes, b12, and methyl folate have been notorious for this with me... lol

Just because there is change in urine color also does not indicate it has not been used just a common effect as b vitamins are all water soluble.

whodathunkit

@richarduklon, Freddd mentions a change in urine color and B12 intake, but I can't remember what he has to say about it or what he said it means. Suggest you do some research of his old posts.

B2 is what normally turns my pee yellow and I've heard that's a sign that your body is using it. B12 hasn't really had any effect on my urine color, though, and I take pretty big doses. Don't know if we can or should extrapolate any meaning to that fact when it comes to your friend, however, since our physical conditions are likely very different. Just mentioning it.

Hi,

My friend who has ME has started taking Enzymatic Therapy - B-12 Infusion, 1 Mg, sublingually and has reported a change in their urine.

Would this be a indication of it not being processed or just excess being passed through the body.

Thanks

Richard
Is your friend's urine florescence seen with ordinary daylight or some other kind of light [like UV]?

PeterPositive

Seems strange for just a 1mg dose. B12 can make urine reddish but it's unlikely for that dosage.
At at 2mg/day my pee doesn't change color at all.

Maybe your friend is also taking B2 (riboflavin)? That's the vitamin that adds the yellow color to the B complex pill and causes a glowing yellow urine. When I take 25-30mg it's pretty funny to watch the kind of color it comes out. It's like neon pee :D

PeterPositive

Whatever is not used will be peed out, this is very normal and sometimes even funny to see your pee turn neon yellow or green.
Green? :jaw-drop: Wow, that I haven't seen so far. Well if it happens I won't freak out. What causes the green color exactly?

Phred

I tried a new b-complex with that much b2 and had the same thing happen to my urine. Since I was just excreting all that b2 I decided to switch back to my old b-complex. The old one had more acceptable levels of other b's.