• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ABX for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and Chlamydia

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I got some labs back that showed low immunoglobulins. The next step is a vaccine challenge.

This got me thinking so I dug out some labs from 2012 where I tested positive for Mycoplasma Pneumonia and Chlamydia along with Parvo.

I know the standard ABX is Doxycycline. The last time I took it I was really nauseated on the full dose so could only took 1/2 dose.

Is there another ABX that might lessen those problems or do I have to try several to see which makes me less ill?

I read, I think it was on ProHealth, that someone was using a Transfer Factor instead of ABX? Does that work? On another thread here someone talked about something that made the ABX work better but did not say what it was.

And lastly, what do I look for in a probiotic? I have always had problems with them constipating me. Add this to my IBS-C and I'm one miserable girl.

Thanks for the advice.

xrunner

The following doc contains much you need to know about mycoplasmas and treatment (individual abx are listed towards the end of the doc). http://www.immed.org/MASTER DOCUMENTS 08.23.2013/Treat.considerations.11.1.pdf

Regarding Chlamydia, if that's Pneumoniae, then treatment is more complicated and different classes of abx are needed which are effective against different forms of the bacteria.
The best source of info is possibly this site where alternative protocols are also discussed http://www.cpnhelp.org/

Doxycycline can be substituted with Minocycline. The advantage is that with Mino you can take one pill a day and that's only once-a-day impact on your GI tract. I used Body Bio PC as protector for the stomach not sure it works for nausea (fresh ginger tea was helpful for nausea).

As for probiotics, it may be a question of finding one that works for you (I used VSL 3 and Ther-biotic complete by Klaire labs) by trial and error, I guess.

I forgot to add that if IBS is a problem, I'd probably try a natural and safe parasite remedy such as papaya seeds (air dried, typical dosage 5 grams once or bid) before anything else.

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@xrunner, please put in paragraphs after every 2 or 3 sentences. I cannot read this. Thanks.

I also can't read the document from Nicholson. Maybe there is other more readable stuff on his website.

I was hoping people would just tell me their experiences since I have issues reading.

xrunner

@minkey, I split the text in paras I hope it's more readable. I checked the link to the doc and it did work.

There's a lot of papers on Nicolson's website but that particular document has all the practical advice regarding abx treatment, including antibiotic alternatives discussed in detail, issues with lack of response to treatment, supplements etc.
I do think it's one of those document either you, somebody close who can help you or your dr should read.

I'm not sure experiences can be very helpful. What I would say is that by far the single most important factor is if you can rely on a doctor that has experience in treating such infections and who is open to dialogue regarding any aspect of treatment.

As for me I only treated CPn (no Mycoplasma) but if you have specific questions, just post them.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@xrunner. Thanks. I didn't say the link didn't work, I said I can't read it, meaning my brain can't read it, and I have no one to help. I met Nicolson years ago so I'm familiar with is thoughts on this.

I'll give my NP the link to the CPN site. The treatment I saw there seems to start with ABX for Chlamydia pneumonia, which is what I have, and then starts adding stuff that works on mycoplasma, so that may be the way to go.

I am in an HMO. Odds of me finding a doc who can help me are slim to none since I need a referral and my doc didn't think these were significant in the first place. My NP, who I do pay out of my pocket, is open to things. Otherwise I may have to bag it.

Other's experiences can be very helpful. People can offer things they have tried that aren't listed that have helped them. That's why I post. For example, ginger tea has never helped me with nausea but someone else might know of something else.

Another example is the Klaire probiotics. They constipated me horribly so I couldn't take them. Now the cost is prohibitive. Someone may know of other things I can try.

I was treated for C. Pneumoniae a few years back with multiple abx. I couldn't tolerate standard Doxy (Doxycycline Hyclate) or minocycline. Ask the doctor for Doxycycline Monohydrate. It is much easier on the gut.

Ema

The following doc contains much you need to know about mycoplasmas and treatment (individual abx are listed towards the end of the doc). http://www.immed.org/MASTER DOCUMENTS 08.23.2013/Treat.considerations.11.1.pdf

I tested positive for mycoplasma pneumoniae though Labcorp with Lerner last spring.

My result was 295 u/ml (0-99).

At that point, I'd been on Lyme abx for about 18 months including Ceftin and Azith.

Lerner said my result was not high enough to be meaningful but never would say how high was meaningful. Especially after I'd essentially been treating for 18 months already.

Do you know how high mycoplasma results have to be to be meaningful?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Do you know how high mycoplasma results have to be to be meaningful?

You know that's an interesting question @Ema. My NP is going over my labs again so I'll see what she says.

In the mean time, I found an interesting site so the I bought some NAC to try. I tried it a few years ago and got really sick so I"m not sure how this will work.
This protocol starts with azithromax for the C. Pneumonia, then adds other ABX increasing very slowly.

http://www.cpnhelp.org/stratton_vanderbilt_proto

My C. Pneumonia was:

IgA <1:16
IgG <1:64
C. Pneumonia Antibody IgM 1:20 Range <1.10

M. Pneumonia 1:92 Positive >1.10

@Marianarchy Thanks for the suggestion. I could only take I think it was 100 mgs a day otherwise I would get nauseated.