• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How much CoQ10 do you take?

SOC

Soc try 600, 400, 200 4pm. I have done 800 am 800 12pm and I was literally SOOOO hyper. so I think my number is in the 400s. I am starting to increase soon to optimal numbers, when I see it stop will just stay at that dose. I also decided to keep on pedyalite, I stopped because of price but I feel so much better OI wise if I take one a day. So back to the expensive that work routine (sigh)
I'm hearing that the hyper feeling is a sign that you're taking too much CoQ10, so I'm thinking to increase until I feel hyper (within reason) and then back down. I wish it weren't so expensive. :(

I use Electromix for my electrolyte drink. No sugar and only $0.25 per liter.

Calathea

Ouch, that's the cheap version? I drink about 2l of the stuff per day. Just sodium and potassium in mine, though I've had Vit C, calcium, magnesium, d-ribose and acetyl l-carnitine in there in the past.

SOC

Ouch, that's the cheap version? I drink about 2l of the stuff per day. Just sodium and potassium in mine, though I've had Vit C, calcium, magnesium, d-ribose and acetyl l-carnitine in there in the past.
It works for me. :) I don't need the extra sodium. I get that in my diet. Electromix has calcium, magnesium, manganese, chromium, and potassium. It's a good balance for me, and at 50 cents a day, not particularly expensive.

Calathea

Is there any decent data on how well people with ME absorb calcium carbonate, magnesium oxide and such?

I canm't remember who recommended powdered Co-Q10, but according to the iHerb reviews, it's awkward stuff to work with. Doesn't dissolve in water, makes an awful mess, that sort of thing. Has anyone here used it in that form?

Seven7

Seven
@SOC
To each her own. :)
My electrolyte: US$4 or $7(brand) A day!!!!

I do electro sometimes but the flavor is not for me much, I get upset stomach from it (like acid reflux) but I have packs for emergencies. Good for travel.

SOC

Is there any decent data on how well people with ME absorb calcium carbonate, magnesium oxide and such?

I canm't remember who recommended powdered Co-Q10, but according to the iHerb reviews, it's awkward stuff to work with. Doesn't dissolve in water, makes an awful mess, that sort of thing. Has anyone here used it in that form?
Sounds like a difficult and non-ideal form to take CoQ10 since it's fat-soluble and not water-soluble (I believe). One could mix it with olive or grapeseed oil to take it, but that doesn't sound particularly pleasant.

SOC

@SOC

My electrolyte: US$4 or $7(brand) A day!!!!

I do electro sometimes but the flavor is not for me much, I get upset stomach from it (like acid reflux) but I have packs for emergencies. Good for travel.
Daughter and I have adjusted to the taste and don't notice it anymore as long as we dissolve it in at least 1 liter of water, according to package instructions. When daughter was first using it, she diluted it in 1.5 liters to reduce the mild lemon-lime flavor. On the few occasions we've mixed it in a 16oz glass (0.5 liters), we've found it to be too strong (not surprisingly ;)).

The upset stomach might be from the fizzy effect. Calcium carbonate is used as an antacid, but the citric acid and malic acid may not be good if your stomach is sensitive to acid drinks like orange juice.

Maybe @Calathea will share her cheap electrolyte drink recipe with you. :)

Calathea

Electrolytes - I've started a new thread to discuss this.

Going back to Co-Q10 powder, apparently some people mix it up in olive oil or coconut oil. If you want to eat an oil as a supplement in its own right, which a few people are doing with coconut oil, that could be a plan. There's lots of discussion of this on, hmm, it was either Amazon.com or iHerb, where people talk about the ratio of oil to Co-Q10 they've found to work. It sounds like you can get quite a bit of Co-Q10 into coconut oil before it stops tasting like coconut oil. Someone said they spread it on toast! If you're one of the people with ME who tends to run underweight, this could be useful. I tend to run overweight and am small to begin with, so I don't really want to be adding that much oil to my diet.

Last edited:

Cheesus

Regarding cost: for those in the UK, Dr Myhill reckons that some local primary care trusts will give you CoQ10 on prescription if your doctor can convince them. I am about to try CoQ10 for the first time and if I find it useful I will be performing a mini-presentation in my Dr's office.