• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Personality profile of chronic fatigue syndrome patients and the alternative five factor model

Bob

I've only read the abstract. It's the usual utter nonsense. Just posting it here for reference.

Spain

Personality profile of chronic fatigue syndrome patients and the alternative five factor model
M. Gomà-i-Freixanet, N. Sáez-Francàs, S. Valero, N. Calvo, M. Casas
April 2014
Available online 12 March 2014
Personality and Individual Differences. Volume 60, Supplement, April 2014, Pages S64.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886913005631

Abstract:
Neuroticism has frequently been associated with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). Other studies have shown that CFS patients are less extraverted than non-CFS patients, although the results are inconsistent. The objective of this study is twofold: To assess the personality profile of adults with CFS under the AFFM and to test the discriminant validity of the ZKPQ. The CFS group consisted of 132 consecutive patients. A cross-validation procedure, using logistic regression, was executed. Low levels on Activity and high on Neuroticism-Anxiety showed the best discriminant capacity between CFS and controls. The results of this study are concordant with previous literature on the relevance of Neuroticism in CFS characterization, but it extends the scarce existing literature in a significant manner in relation to the Activity trait. For a better conceptualization of this medical condition, we encourage researchers to take into account the facets of Extraversion rather than the dimension itself.

Last edited:

SilverbladeTE

I wonder what the results would be for psychobabblers.

Well:

hanniballecter.jpg

but also:
~hung like a hamster

and also this:

snake2_1388468i.jpg

:wide-eyed::D

Ren

I thought extrovertism was more prominent and accepted in Latin cultures, while introvertism was more prominent and accepted in, for example, Japan and Scandinavian countries. What kind of cultural judgements are researchers in Spain making? How are they normalising and enforcing "Extrovert Imperialism"? :D

Sigh... In other news, scientists discover that when severely injured, bears mysteriously retreat to their caves and growl when repeatedly poked with sharp sticks...

Last edited:

Min

A personality profile of 'researchers' who insist on 'researching' complete nonsense would be interesting. I

f an illness makes you housebound, takes all your energy and leaves you in dreadful pain it is not rocket science to realise that it would also leave you more introverted and concerned about your health than before.

peggy-sue

It is well known that 80% of psychology students show very high neuroticism scores.:alien:
They are not a "normal" population to start off with.

Yet psychology students are normally the subjects for such research.:cautious:

This was the opening gambit from one of my psychology lecturers, on the matter of Eysenk and his personality theory.