• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What has helped more with your sleep?

Izola

going to GP tomorrow to get referral for a neurological sleep test. I've had it, I want someone to look at my neurotransmitters. And then wack me over the head with the tea kettle.

Prog. pil only seems to work in the first half of the cycle and only when on moderately methylation protocol.

Izola

Would you pick me up a tea kettle on the way back from the doctor. The spaghetti noodle spin is interesting. I'm just used to the hypothesis that I have dead mice with squirmy maggots up there. Oh, that makes me want to barf.

You got me interested in the methylation cycle. (My spelling is general and usually wrong.) thanks Iz

Izola

Ginkgo Biloba makes my sleep slightly more refreshing and makes dreams more numerous and clear. Kind of melatonin.

Beyond: Thanks for cranking up my memory. I used to use Ginko, but as I slid down hill I lost a lot on the way. Take care. Iz

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Even if you sleep horribly, getting some dreams back is nice ;) Living all the time the waking nightmare of being ill is overwhelming, some oniric facades feel refreshing. For one, I am not ill in my dreams!:angel:

Izola

Even if you sleep horribly, getting some dreams back is nice ;) Living all the time the waking nightmare of being ill is overwhelming, some oniric facades feel refreshing. For one, I am not ill in my dreams!:angel:

You've been reading my mind. ;) Yes, sir, it's whooping better to have nice dreams esp. when you are not sick in them.:D:sleep::sleep::balloons::balloons::sleep::lol::cat::angel: Now that was an unusual dream. Made no sense at all!!o_O:rofl:

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
BTW, some other people report better sleep/dreams with Ginkgo. I use Dr Best brand. I trust this brand after a few good experiences. They are legit. This supplement is dirty cheap and I will be taking it probably for the rest of my life lol (also helps with my pelvic pain).

@Sparrow: thanks for recommending the Douglas melatonin. It doesn't "knock me out" but seems to be working better than other OTC and dx things I've tried!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
It boosts dreams and nightmares a lot, have you people noticed that? Dreams are sometimes amazing, however the upgraded nightmares can take their toll on sleep quality at times.

WoolPippi

Just learned that the antibodies to gluten also block the transfer from glutamate into GABA.
Leaving ones brain with too much glutamate (*boing! boing!*) and not enough GABA (zzzzz...)

source: http://neuroendoimmune.wordpress.com/2014/06/03/is-gluten-making-you-overstimulated/

PS not to say there's only one cause for our sleeping problems, far from it! If you read my blog post now that I'm healing you'll notice I think there are at least 7 major factors colliding before something like sleepproblems or ME occur.

But I do believe our neurotransmitters are at the cause of not sleeping through the night and many things influence them, gluten being one of them. (others being: progesterone, cortisol, day time stress, blood sugar imbalance, insulin resistance, MAO A mutation to name just a few)

Last edited:

physicsstudent13

so a gluten allergy or eating too much gluten or wheat could cause a sleep disorder?
I take klonopin and gabapentin and am going to start prazosin

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I've not had gluten for about 5yrs now and still need zopiclone to sleep, ongoing major problem for me. I wish it were just a simple connection with gluten.

Tired of being sick

Amitriptyline WILL knock you out.....

It comes in 5mg dose (which is plenty for the average person)

all the way up to 150mg (which will even knock a freak like me out)

Yes I am on the max 150mg dose..

I still awaken every 2 hours but I can go right back to sleep most of the time.......

Put it this way, the only drug more powerful than Amitriptyline for sleep is

Xyrem and anesthesia itself...

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I once took amitriptyline for severe back pain, the side effects were worse than the pain. I don't do well with drugs.

Tired of being sick

Amitriptyline gave me side effects as well.mostly horrible
drive you insane feeling in legs(RLS on steroids)

Gabapentin gave me super insomnia...

So I decided to take a combination of

Gabapentin and Amitriptyline to off set the side effects

and it worked!

Amitriptyline stopped the super insomnia and put me to sleep at desired time
Meaning It works well if taken 4 to 5 hours before bedtime then it practically paralyses me,lol..

Gabepentin took the horrible feeling away from my legs
and stopped my chronic nausea....
without it I have 24/7 365 days of nausea-...

Tramadol helps with CFS/ME/Fibro associated pains

Max dose 100mg 4x a day.........