• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bad Chiropractic Consultation

golden

Travelled for hours to get to this Chiro appointment.

Was frazzled.

Because of this - it made me not on the ball and therefore vulnerable.

I was expecting the manager chiro - since that was who i booked in with after researching him.

I had immediate intuition about what i thought was a customer standing at reception...

It turned out she took us into the office for 'a few questions'

This was an interrogation.

It lasted 45 minutes of relentless, pointless questions and endless arbritrary ratings on a useless 1-10 scale.

I dont know why - but my brain cant compute a fluctuating symptom on a 1-10 scale

Apparently 10 is 'the worst possible pain i could imagine'

So she was upperty and pressurised me and repeated questions over and over which i couldnt answer due to my neurological cobdition.

She had no idea of symptoms but when i mentioned M.E. Her first wirds were 'fatigue'

And when she was asking me what made it worse - she ignored my answer and my friend said the word 'stress' to which her little eyes lit up...

When i elaborated it to physical stress yes - this was ignored.

When i realised that ahe was supposedly the Chiropractor - my heart sunk.

We are not compatible at all.
I wondered if she was a trainee.
Just the testing has left me in pain. And she used far too much pressure trying to press down on my head - i told her not to do that again - but because i coukdnt explain why - she did it again - by that time i was exhausted and felt she was doing damage putting all then sudden pressure on my neck which i was having to use every last bit of atrength to stop her crushing me.

She wasnt going to tell me the digital x ray had radiation in it. She had to check if there was a thyroid collar - there was not.

She couldnt tell me how much radiation. So i had to blanket refuse due to my thyroid protocol.

Where it all went wrong?

1) I was frazzled and neurological problems

2) I was not expecting such invasive interrogation.

3) I allowed her to lead the way

4) The chiropractor i researched and booked did not turn up.

I also felt uncomfortable getting undressed into the gown and being made to touch my toes with a split in the back whilst she was watching. I only half did this because the word 'No' seemed to evade me.

My friend who had also booked in - was told he coukd keep his trousers on and I was not given this option and forced myself.

I had undergone the perrin technique (naked chest massage) with none of these feelings.

I have never experienced a consultation like that before.

After telling her about blood pressure on standing...she takes it once when sitting...looks at me and laughs and said your blood pressure is fine.

The advertising for a 'digital

golden

In future, if i ever do anything like this again, i am going to have to go with a different mindset.

Partly, its because i lost my ability to 'think on my feet'.

I am going to privately record any further appointments - so i can gain distant perspective and further understanding - and if necesaary have an accurate account for any written complaint.

I have not re booked with her as she told us. Instead I have asked for the report of findings and any notes to be sent out to me.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Years ago I went to a high rated Infectious Disease doc who supposedly treat CFS.

She grilled me like you got grilled, I was sleep deprived, and waiting an hour for her and confused. I had to look at my friend with me for answers. Like you I cannot process things quickly.

I ended up crying 1. from fatigue and exhaustion and 2. I later found out was MCS from the chemicals she used to clean her office and I left her with a diagnosis of Bi polar disorder and her wanting to give me some Seroquel. No CFS.

It happens. You just have to move past it.

SOC

For future reference, x-rays are, by definition, electromagnetic radiation -- ionizing radiation, in particular. X-rays do not "have radiation in them", they are radiation. So any time you have x-ray imaging done, you are exposed to ionizing radiation. That's what it is. The technician is unlikely to tell you that radiation is involved because it would be like reminding you that getting wet involves liquid.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
It sounds a horrible experience.

something like this is my worry - I have major spine and neck problems causing inflammation in my head. I need to see someone but am so frightened of meeting a practitioner like this.

golden

Oh, i lost my nice detailed reply :( technical stuff..

Thanks was the spirit of it. will try again.

:)

golden

something like this is my worry - I have major spine and neck problems causing inflammation in my head. I need to see someone but am so frightened of meeting a practitioner like this.

yes. I noticed bruising today from it.

I didnt even get the 'treatment' that was just the consultation lol

i dont know how to go about finding the right chiro without it costing an arm 'n a leg - a spine 'n me neck :)

golden

For future reference, x-rays are, by definition, electromagnetic radiation -- ionizing radiation, in particular. X-rays do not "have radiation in them", they are radiation. So any time you have x-ray imaging done, you are exposed to ionizing radiation. That's what it is. The technician is unlikely to tell you that radiation is involved because it would be like reminding you that getting wet involves liquid.

yes. I know this thanks.

It was the word 'digital' that threw me.

I am not sure if the advertisement actually said 'digital x-ray'

But i have had a chiro years ago run a digital scanner up my spine and the computer images it from this.

Thats what i thought it was. Or some fancy new Chiropractor equipment like thermography etc. Which was digital x-ray but without the radiation.

Out of the whole interogation - i never even got asked how many x-rays i had had previously.

Since they have a cumulative effect - and this was not a medical emergency - this factors into the risk too.

I am a bit shocked to discover this in a Chiropractors - given the extent of anti-medication stuff plastered all over the walls.

But in contrast, my Osteopath made me turn off my mobile phone in her trt room. (for radiation purposes not interruptions btw).

golden

Maybe there is even a better one now - but McTimoney is supposed to be kind.

I have a feeling this wasnt that.

Maybe the hassle of speaking to the Chiro first and ringing round loads before booking is the only way. :(

golden

An after thought on this -

I believe they should tell me exactly how much radiation i would be receiving or have it up on their website.

And also ask me my radiation history.

Calathea

I've found chiropractic and osteopathy to be very hit or miss, and gave up on it years ago. The Miracle Ball Method works pretty nicely for me, and it's cheap, easy and non-invasive to do. You can read the Amazon reviews, that gives you a good idea of how it works. I really should do it more often than I actually do, of course, but it's still effective.

golden

Years ago I went to a high rated Infectious Disease doc who supposedly treat CFS.

She grilled me like you got grilled, I was sleep deprived, and waiting an hour for her and confused. I had to look at my friend with me for answers. Like you I cannot process things quickly.

I ended up crying 1. from fatigue and exhaustion and 2. I later found out was MCS from the chemicals she used to clean her office and I left her with a diagnosis of Bi polar disorder and her wanting to give me some Seroquel. No CFS.

It happens. You just have to move past it.

Thats an awful injustice :(

I cried once in front of a G.P. and will NEVER again.
I was only being human! (and young).

Yes, i agree.

Sh*t Happens! Live, Learn and move on. :)

golden

I've found chiropractic and osteopathy to be very hit or miss, and gave up on it years ago. The Miracle Ball Method works pretty nicely for me, and it's cheap, easy and non-invasive to do. You can read the Amazon reviews, that gives you a good idea of how it works. I really should do it more often than I actually do, of course, but it's still effective.

Lots of people say that about chiro and osteo.

In fact I think thats what the appeal is to the Atlas Profilax technique - it promises to free you from the chiro.

That didnt work for me at all. That scores a -3 .

I will give this a whirl. I find what helps me the most are techniques i learn to do myself - because i know myself, my condition and get instant feedback.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@golden I used to cry at every doctors appointment. I didn't know what was wrong with me since I wasn't sad or depressed or Biopolar haha, until I found out I had MCS. Once that was taken care of I never had the problem again.

golden

@golden I used to cry at every doctors appointment. I didn't know what was wrong with me since I wasn't sad or depressed or Biopolar haha, until I found out I had MCS. Once that was taken care of I never had the problem again.

Its genuinely frightening to me just how dysfunctional the NHS or Conventional Medical Establishment is.

Whilst I am relieved to hear you were very lucky and found the root of your problem...

No doubt this initial misdiagnosis did not help you. I hope it was rectified on your notes?

Dark ages :/