• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFSAC Webinar: March 11, 2014 from 12:00-5:00 PM Eastern Time

shannah

I'm listening. The sound quality is pretty poor. It's pretty ridiculous that they didn't do a video feed for this. It's not difficult to do if you have the equipment, which we know they do. :rolleyes:

Agree - sound quality is very poor. It's almost impossible for me to follow. The sound actually hurts as I'm recovering from a severe migraine so hypersensitive and very fragile. May have to wait for others to report to hear what's happening.

I'm listening on my computer. It basically sounds like a poor-quality speakerphone.

Wow, this HRSA update on integrative medicine is just wasting time. Not saying anything specific about ME/CFS.

Nielk

If anyone I was listening to my comment, they probably heard how I was totally out of breath. Anyway here is my comment:

My name is Gabby Klein and like the character Alice, in Lewis Carroll’s, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, I cry out “curiouser and curiouser” when witnessing HHS’ words and actions toward ME patients and stakeholders.

I cry curiouser and curiouser when:

HHS repeatedly asserts that the IoM contract is based on CFSAC’s very carefully worded recommendation of 2012 to convene a workshop of ME/CFS stakeholders to work on diagnostic and research criteria starting with the CCC, when in fact; they have totally re-drafted the recommendation, leaving only two words “diagnostic and criteria” while changing everything else.

Dr. Koh, in his reply to advocates regarding the allegations of intimidation by three voting members of CFSAC against the DFO, Nancy Lee, stated that he found no impropriety by Nancy Lee when in fact; no formal investigation as requested by advocates has been done. I and I am sure all ME/CFS stakeholders would like to know exactly what actions, if any, by these three CFSAC members merited threats of expulsion from the advisory committee? How confident can we be that in the future, CFSAC members can comfortably express their views?

Dr. Unger insisted that she can’t include the 2 day CPET testing in her current multi-site study because of its prohibitive cost, when in fact; HHS has millions of dollars to fund three overlapping, flawed works into re-defining the disease. In addition, this blatant omission of the most important scientific data showing PEM in ME/CFS will result in bias data to be shared with the IoM panel.

Dr. Unger stated that post exertional malaise is experienced by several other illnesses - when in fact; there is no proof that any other illness shows the hallmark feature of worsening of all physical symptoms upon activity and more importantly the remarked decline on second day testing. Further troubling is the fact that the CDC defiantly and dangerously refuses to remove the promotion of graded exercise from their website in the face of documented evidence of its harmful effect on patients.

I am afraid that we are in the midst of falling through the rabbit’s hole and if these activities are to continue un-impeded we will never be able to climb out!

NK17

GO Gabby, GO!
I'm in the rabbit hole with you and many others and I can't believe what I see and hear ...

Ember

Silver Platter of Frustration
March 12th, 2014 Jennie Spotila
Yesterday’s CFS Advisory Committee meeting was insane. Wait, maybe the meeting just drove me insane. Or was the whole thing just insanely inane? I don’t even know anymore. Wait a second, hang on.

Ok, let me start again.

Yesterday’s CFS Advisory Committee meeting served up a generous helping of frustration on a silver platter. While some of the mistakes from the last meeting were corrected, many mistakes were repeated and new ones were made. I’m going to be as succinct as possible in summarizing another episode of Tech, Wreck and Waste....

The Silver Platter
The disconnect between the accountability and progress that ME/CFS patients deserve and the decisionmaking put on display at CFSAC meetings remains large. These meetings are so frustrating, and increasingly so, that it is easy to see why some people believe HHS is doing this on purpose. Maybe they blame individuals, maybe they blame the Department, maybe they blame a highly placed policy maker, but many ME/CFS advocates believe that the sheer volume of problems can only be explained by intentionality.

How else can we explain a repetition of technical difficulties from the December meeting? How else can we explain the CDC’s failure to be forthcoming about their own website? How else can we explain the conduct we see in these meetings, and the way CFSAC’s recommendations are handled by the Department? How else do we explain the lack of urgency?
More...