• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

is a spinal tap a reliable test for Lyme?

Aerose91

Im going to be getting an IgeniX test done, mostly hecause my doctor is interested in Bartonella and Biorella. However, he may want to do lyme as well just to be safe. I did have the regular blood test done which i know is worthless but i also had a test for lyme in my spinal tap which also came back negative. Is an LP result accurate? Or should i still spring for the lyme part, too. Im just trying to save money where i can since its very tight.

Ema

From http://www.aldf.com/faq.shtml:

The polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test is a very sensitive assay that detects the DNA of B. burgdorferi. However, certain limitations prevent the PCR from being widely used. First, B. burgdorferi bacteria do not persist in easily obtainable fluids such as blood, synovial (joint) fluid or spinal fluid, but typically bind to joint and nerve tissues. A PCR done on spinal fluid may be positive in early neurologic disease (e.g., Lyme meningitis) but is usually negative in a patient with long-term central nervous system damage.

If it were me, I would go ahead and test for Lyme if your doctor thinks that test is worthwhile as well.

Aerose91

Hmmm, thats an interesting article. I had it done about 5 months after onset, that would still be early on right?

May still be a good idea if i can scrounge up the $$ tho

Ema

Hmmm, thats an interesting article. I had it done about 5 months after onset, that would still be early on right?

May still be a good idea if i can scrounge up the $$ tho
It's impossible to know. It depends how fast the infection disseminated in your body.

In some people that can take a matter of months; in others, it can take years.

Aerose91

Ema,

Thanks for those links, im going to try them out. It would be great to get some as i would feel more confident covering all bases