• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

sudden rise in ME being mentioned on TV?

Ambrosia_angel

Has anyone noticed this? I've seen it mentioned 3 times in the past few weeks on tv. Any reason why? It's a really sudden rise too. Since I've been diagnosed I haven't seen it mentioned at all until now. I'm mainly talking about the UK and TV but if your in other countries or have seen it mentioned more on the radio that'd be interesting too. Maybe it's since Martine mccutcheon?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I heard a radio segment last night (I think it was on BBC) about a woman with a debilitating illness. It was mentioned, as if it were a commonly known illness, that she had ME. She wrote a book and/or has a website called A Million Lovely Letters, if anyone wants to check it out.

Ambrosia_angel

I heard a radio segment last night (I think it was on BBC) about a woman with a debilitating illness. It was mentioned, as if it were a commonly known illness, that she had ME. She wrote a book and/or has a website called A Million Lovely Letters, if anyone wants to check it out.
Was it radio 4. Sounds like something from there. I'm going to check the book out. Thanks :)

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
@Ambrosia_angel , It was something that US National Public Radio picks up from the BBC, so I am not sure of it's original source. I hope that you find the book to be interesting. You might give us a review. :)

taniaaust1

Nothing on ME here in Australia.

In the past week thou there was a segment on one of the current affair shows on someone with MS having to go outside of Australia to get treatment for that. (I didnt get to see it thou someone rang me about it, as I couldnt remember how to work my remote so couldnt get the TV going **sighs**).

There was something scary thou a few weeks back in my states main newspaper which sounded like something one would expect to have come from England (I really should find the article again and scan it to put at this website as this is mainstream newspaper could mean we are heading into a dire situation).

It was a big put down to those on disability pensions talking how most people trying to get disability are frauds. This conclusion was being made as those who get rejected very rarely win their appeals so in the views of this article this made most claims fraudlent claims (they were claiming a terribly high number.. 80% or something were said to be putting in false claims. (its bullshit.. they've just made a disability pension so hard to get that most who should be on one cant get one).

I was horrifed to see this article as I would of never expected to see that here.. making it sound like those on disability or trying to get it were mostly all frauds.

Last edited:

Ambrosia_angel

Nothing on ME here in Australia.

In the past week thou there was a segment on one of the current affair shows on someone with MS having to go outside of Australia to get treatment for that. (I didnt get to see it thou someone rang me about it, as I couldnt remember how to work my remote so couldnt get the TV going **sighs**).

There was something scary thou a few weeks back in my states main newspaper which sounded like something one would expect to have come from England (I really should find the article again and scan it to put at this website as this is mainstream newspaper could mean we are heading into a dire situation).

It was a big put down to those on disability pensions talking how most people trying to get disability are frauds. This conclusion was being made as those who get rejected very rarely win their appeals so in the views of this article this made most claims fraudlent claims (they were claiming a terribly high number.. 80% or something were said to be putting in false claims. (its bullshit.. they've just made a disability pension so hard to get that most who should be on one cant get one).

I was horrifed to see this article as I would of never expected to see that here.. making it sound like those on disability or trying to get it were mostly all frauds.
That really does sound like something from over here which is embarrassing... it's so frustrating as I can get disability help right now but I've heard of people who have been given a disability car and use it as a cab. WTF?! It's embarrassing but they take one case of fraud and hype it up in the media so it seems that everyone is doing it when there is a lot more money fraud in other areas of society :/