• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MEA: Can you help bring Ian Lipkin to the UK CMRC Conference in September 2014?

Firestormm

Can you help The ME Association bring Professor Ian Lipkin over to the UK in September?
The UK ME/CFS Research Collaborative will be holding a major research conference in Bristol on 1st and 2nd September 2014.

The meeting is being partially funded by the Medical Research Council.

Almost all of the UK researchers working in ME/CFS will be present and the conference will represent a wonderful opportunity to set up new collaborations and research proposals.

The organisers, which include The MEA through their position on the Executive Board of the UKRC, are also keen to present research to patients, and gain patient input on research, as part of this meeting – so there will be a separate session for patients, probably on the Monday afternoon

The MEA has indicated that we would like to fund Professor Ian Lipkin – John Snow Professor of Epidemiology, Professor of Neurology and Pathology at Columbia University, New York – to give a Keynote presentation to the conference covering his very impressive contributions in the areas of pathogen discovery, infectious diseases and biomarkers. The other Keynote speaker is going to be Professor Robert Dantzer, whose area of expertise involves cytokines and the brain.

Professor Lipkin has accepted our invitation and we are willing to help cover all his expenses. But we do still require some help with funding his travel expenses to the UK due to the fact that he has a medical condition that requires the ability to recline on the flight. This will mean booking a business class seat from New York. Professor LIpkin has not requested a fee for giving his lecture.

So is there anyone, or a local group, who would be interested in making sure that this dedicated and high profile ME/CFS researcher comes to the UK in September please could you get in touch with Dr Shepherd at the MEA: charles.c.shepherd@btinternet.com

Please note that I may not be able to give an immediate response as I am away in Scotland doing GP training for the next few days.

Thank you.

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, The ME Association

22 February 2014

Website links to further information on Professor Lipkin:

Columbia University: http://cii.columbia.edu/team.aspx?l8psqK&cid=WYUHOo

Research related to ME/CFS: http://www.meassociation.org.uk/2013/09/lipkin-finds-biomarkers-not-bug-phoenix-rising-website-12-september-2013/

See also: Interview: Ian Lipkin’s Million Dollar Appeal for Microbiome Study for more background information about Prof. Lipkin.

Bob

MEAssociation said:
The UK ME/CFS Research Collaborative will be holding a major research conference in Bristol on 1st and 2nd September 2014.
Almost all of the UK researchers working in ME/CFS will be present and the conference will represent a wonderful opportunity to set up new collaborations and research proposals.
The MEA has indicated that we would like to fund Professor Ian Lipkin – John Snow Professor of Epidemiology, Professor of Neurology and Pathology at Columbia University, New York – to give a Keynote presentation to the conference...
It would be a great bit of networking to have all the UK ME/CFS researchers meet up, along with Prof Lipkin. It will be an opportunity to exchange thoughts and notes etc. Perhaps our friend @Jonathan Edwards will be able to attend the conference as well.

Firestormm

Action for ME have joined in the appeal for funds to bring Lipkin across to the conference in September too :)
Can you help bring researcher to UK?
3 March, 2014

Action for M.E. is backing a bid to bring a leading researcher to Britain to be one of the keynote speakers at the UK CFS/ME Research Collaborative conference which will be held in Bristol on September 1 and 2, 2014.

Professor Ian Lipkin – John Snow Professor of Epidemiology, Professor of Neurology and Pathology at Columbia University, New York – has agreed to speak at the event. He has not asked for a fee but has a medical condition that requires that he can recline on the trans-Atlantic flight and will therefore need business class tickets.

Action for M.E. is one of several charities on the executive board of the CMRC. We are backing a call from Dr Charles Shepherd, medical advisor to the ME Association, for individuals or groups to help bring this dedicated and high-profile researcher to the UK by making a contribution towards his travel costs.

We’re happy to forward any contribution from our supporters. Email John McCready, Head of Communications and Policy or phone him on 0117 927 9551.

Action for M.E. Trustee Tony Golding said, “Professor Lipkin is a world renowned physician and scientist who has developed ground-breaking techniques in the field of infectious diseases. A few years ago he committed himself to hunting down the cause of M.E.

“He believes an infectious agent is probably driving the immune activation that he’s found in the blood and spinal samples of people with M.E. To have him speak to us directly in the UK about his latest thinking would be both fascinating and a great honour.

“I will be making a personal contribution to getting him over here for the conference.”

maryb

iherb code TAK122
a friend of mine tried to make a donation - she had to register first which I think is a big mistake for the charity, also the page failed when she did try to register so hiccups there. No donation from her then - hope she goes back to it

Bob

a friend of mine tried to make a donation - she had to register first which I think is a big mistake for the charity, also the page failed when she did try to register so hiccups there. No donation from her then - hope she goes back to it
Mary, I'm not sure if there is an online donation facility for this appeal. The contact details for making donations are within the text.

Last edited: