• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Chronic fatigue syndrome" by Perry & Santhouse (2012)

Dolphin

Chronic fatigue syndrome

Medicine
Volume 40, Issue 12 , Pages 647-649, December 2012

Stephen E. Perry
Alastair M. Santhouse

Stephen E Perry MBChB MSc MRCPsych is a Locum Consultant Psychiatrist at DCMH, Her Majesty's Naval Base, Portsmouth, UK. Competing interests: none declared

Alastair M Santhouse MA MRCP MRCPsych is a Consultant in Psychological Medicine at Guy's Hospital and The Maudsley Hospital, London, UK. Competing interests: AMS was a member of the NICE guideline development group for the CFS/ME Guidelines

Abstract*

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a debilitating condition that can lead to severe impairment of function in all aspects of patients' lives.

It therefore constitutes a considerable burden on the individual, their carers and society.

No single cause has yet been found, and it is likely to be a condition of multiple aetiologies.

Delays in diagnosis can lead to increased disability and less chance of successful treatment.

Effective treatments are available in the form of cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET) and both these treatments have been recommended by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence.

Keywords: cognitive-behavioural therapy, fatigue, graded exercise therapy, medically unexplained symptoms, MLV, XMRV
* I gave each sentence its own paragraph

Dolphin

My critique of this paper isn't going to be very deep. Basically, I see it (the paper) as a waste of time and you won't miss anything by not reading it.

It has the heading "Psychiatric Aspects of General Medicine" which gives an idea where it is coming from. Both the authors are psychiatrists, with one being based on the Maudsley Hospital (where Simon Wessely & Trudie Chalder are based). It's basically a summary of the area a bit like what NICE did, but there are extra little bits of psychiatric speculation/selective referencing thrown in now and then.

Last edited:

Valentijn

Skimmed through it and saw "Effective treatments are available in the form of cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET)..."

This article is pointless and a few decades behind.
It's amazing how clinicians supposedly involved in ME/CFS in some manner can go for decades without reading any research relevant to their practice. They're dinosaurs on the brink of extinction, and they don't even know it because they've had their heads buried in the sand the entire time.